Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Authenticate AIX users from MS Active Directory Post 302479923 by kah00na on Monday 13th of December 2010 09:32:38 AM
Old 12-13-2010
These steps use Kerberos for only setup password authentication. This is not an LDAP connection, therefore, none of the user attributes are pulled from it. This solution is good for those that only want password centralization. If you want to use LDAP authentication, then the UIDs and GIDs have to match across systems, you have to involve the Windows administrators to get the AD server configured for your users, and various other tasks have to be performed. This method allows you, as the AIX admin, to be able to have your users authenticate their password from the AD with minimal effort and gets you out of the "I can't remember my password" game. Also, since you are only installing software and adding a second authentication method, there is no down time and you an switch users back and forth between local and AD authentication with only one command.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to kah00na For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compiling Samba from Source on AIX, Active Directory, LDAP, Kerberos

Hello, I asked this question in the AIX subforum but never received an answer, probably because the AIX forum is not that heavily trafficked. Anyway, here it is.. I have never had any issues like this when compiling applications from source. When I try to compile samba-3.5.0pre2, configure runs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

control permissions for Active Directory users on AIX

Hello, I've configured an user authentication against Active Directory (Windows Server 2008 R2) on AIX V6 with LDAP. It works fine. And here's my problem: How can I control ldap user permissions on the local AIX machine? E.g. an AD user should be able to write all files of local sys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xia777
1 Replies

3. Proxy Server

Solaris 11.1 login authenticate with windows active directory

Hi, is that possible to login to solaris 11.1 authenticate with windows active directory? the user id is created in the windows active directory. Environment: Solaris 11.1 Windows 2012 Active Directory (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshmeat
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Windows AD users authenticate to Linux

Hello folks, Please advise me what is the best way to authenticate Windows AD users against Linux machines. Currently I am going to take a look of Vintela Authentication Services and please let me know if you have experience with VIntela. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 7.1 - Samba 4 File Shares and Integration with Active Directory Issues

Hi. Ive recently upgraded Samba on an AIX server to Samba 4. The aim is to allow a specific group of Windows AD users to access some AIX file shares (with no requirement to enter passwords) - using AD to authenticate. Currently I have: Samba 4 installed ( and 3 daemons running) Installed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxsnake
1 Replies

6. AIX

Samba 3.6 on AIX 7.1 - Windows 10 Access to AIX file shares using Active Directory authentication

I am running AIX 7.1 and currently we have samba 3.6.25 installed on the server. As it stands some AIX folders are shared that can be accessed by certain Windows users. The problem is that since Windows 10 the guest feature no longer works so users have to manually type in their Windows login/pwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxsnake
14 Replies
pam_ldap(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       pam_ldap(8)

NAME
pam_ldap - PAM module for LDAP-based authentication SYNOPSIS
pam_ldap.so [...] DESCRIPTION
This is a PAM module that uses an LDAP server to verify user access rights and credentials. OPTIONS
use_first_pass Specifies that the PAM module should use the first password provided in the authentication stack and not prompt the user for a pass- word. try_first_pass Specifies that the PAM module should use the first password provided in the authentication stack and if that fails prompt the user for a password. nullok Specifying this option allows users to log in with a blank password. Normally logins without a password are denied. ignore_unknown_user Specifies that the PAM module should return PAM_IGNORE for users that are not present in the LDAP directory. This causes the PAM framework to ignore this module. ignore_authinfo_unavail Specifies that the PAM module should return PAM_IGNORE if it cannot contact the LDAP server. This causes the PAM framework to ig- nore this module. no_warn Specifies that warning messages should not be propagated to the PAM application. use_authtok This causes the PAM module to use the earlier provided password when changing the password. The module will not prompt the user for a new password (it is analogous to use_first_pass). debug This option causes the PAM module to log debugging information to syslog(3). minimum_uid=UID This option causes the PAM module to ignore the user if the user id is lower than the specified value. This can be used to bypass LDAP checks for system users (e.g. by setting it to 1000). MODULE SERVICES PROVIDED
All services are provided by this module but currently sessions changes are not implemented in the nslcd daemon. FILES
/etc/pam.conf the main PAM configuration file /etc/nslcd.conf The configuration file for the nslcd daemon (see nslcd.conf(5)) SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), nslcd(8), nslcd.conf(5) AUTHOR
This manual was written by Arthur de Jong <arthur@arthurdejong.org>. Version 0.8.10 Jun 2012 pam_ldap(8)