Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Redirecting Terminal to Local Application! Post 302479757 by Corona688 on Sunday 12th of December 2010 11:37:41 PM
Old 12-13-2010
popen() may do what you want. FILE *fp=popen("command", "r"); It's either read-only or write-only. If that's not sophisticated enough, you can create pipes, fork, exec, and read/write from those pipes. There's many threads here about that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting one terminal into an other??

Hi guys; I want to show what am I doing on a terminal into another. I did something close but its not working really good. Example: cat /dev/pts/12 >/dev/pts/13 where 12 is my terminal and 13 its the other terminal. This is usefull for me to share my small unix knowledge to other people... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to a local file after sshing

ssh $USR@$host /bin/bash <<EOF awk ' BEGIN{f=0} !f { s=$0; sub(/,.+/, "", s); gsub(//, " ", s); t=(systime()-mktime(s)); if(t<=14400) f=1 } f ' /home/error.log >> error.txt EOFWe are trying to connect to a remote server through ssh and read values from error.log within last 4 hours.However, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepthz
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Can i bind to a local login terminal running using rsh or remotely

Hi Can i ask? I had multiple solaris workstation running and some local users using it. Is it possible to bind to the local user terminal or console he's using as if like the user well type and I can see it and what my typing in the local user see it also. Is it possible.. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting the terminal to file

Hi, I want to save the whole Output of the terminal in a file. I dont want to redirect a single command to a file (ls -l > test.txt), I want to redirect the whole last 40 lines into a file. Maybe i can read out the terminal while working with it, but i cant find a way to save the whole... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niratschi
2 Replies

5. Slackware

X terminal: Redirecting remote sound to my local audio device

Hello everybody, I'm testing some aspects of X Terminal implementation and it's going great. I can use remote applications on my local slow workstation at remote's processor speed by redirecting the remote DISPLAY variable to "my_local_ip:0.0"; but i'm having troubles to get remote audio and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pbpaste to application in terminal

Is it possible to execute a pbpaste command to an application or current application in focus? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhill2
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting script output to terminal

When ever i started my terminal,Every time I have to change the directory like "cd user/documents/ravi/folder2/folder3" Without typing this entire command every time ,I placed "alias c='cd user/documents/ravi/folder2/folder3'" in .bash_profile file. so that i can able to execute command 'c'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raviteja saddal
6 Replies

8. IP Networking

How to know local IP address in X-Terminal?

Im using a X-Terminal in my windows pc to connect to a Linux server. Is there a way to know my local IP address in my x-terminal console? Here are few commands which didnt help me: ss_cc@MGTS5026-13sh1:~> finger Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Where loadhlr ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting terminal to variable

when i do something like this: bona=$(echo hi2 > /dev/pts/1 ; printf '%s\n' "" | sed '/^$/d') i get: hi2 and the $bona variable is empty, when I run: echo ${bona} i get the result "hi2" outside of the variable. I want it stored in the bona variable with nothing outputted to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
MESG(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (or do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [option] [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a user to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with standard error output. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. ARGUMENTS
n Disallow messages. y Allow messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg shows the current message status on standard error output. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Explain what is being done. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
login(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 MESG(1)