Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract a number from a line in a file and sed in another copied file Post 302479712 by mnaqvi on Sunday 12th of December 2010 04:38:46 PM
Old 12-12-2010
This corrects the error of naming the new files in Task 3. Thank you.

However, the new files do not contain anything and running the script returns the following error:

sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unterminated `s' command

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Update Last Line with Number Lines in File

Hi, I have to update last line of a text file with the number of lines in that file. This last line will have text such as 0.0000 and I should replace this with number lines. If lines are 20 then it should be replaced with 00020. Any sed or awk cmd help would be appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkux
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a line from a file using the line number

I have a shell script and want to assign a value to a variable. The value is the line exctrated from a file using the line number. The line number it is not fix, and could change any time. I have tried sed, awk, head .. See my script # Get randome line number from the file #selectedline = `awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zambo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file using the line number

Hello, I am having trouble extracting a specific line from a file when the line number is known. My first attempt involved grep -n 'hi' (the word 'hi will always be there) to get the line number before the line that I actually want (line 4). Extra Notes: -I am working in a bash script. -The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandtheftander
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like 23234234324 and 54446655567567 How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ---------- found it: sed -n '#1,#2p'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: return_user
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Sed/awk/getting line number from file

I Have file1 with below lines : #HostNameSelection=0 :NotUsed #HostNameSelection=1 :Automatic #HostNameSelection=3 :NotForced I have file2 which has similar lines but with different values I want to copy the changes from file1 to file2 ,line by line only if line begins with '#'. for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvr
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string from multiple file based on line count number

Hi, I search all forum, but I can not find solutions of my problem :( I have multiple files (5000 files), inside there is this data : FILE 1: 1195.921 -898.995 0.750312E-02-0.497526E-02 0.195382E-05 0.609417E-05 -2021.287 1305.479-0.819754E-02 0.107572E-01 0.313018E-05 0.885066E-05 ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a line from a file by line number

Hi guys, does anyone know how to extract(grep) a line from the file, if I know the line number? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl extract number from file & write to file

I have 1 file that has elements as follows. Also the CVR(10) and the word "SAUCE" only appear once in the file so maybe a grep command would work? file1 CVR( 9) = 0.385E+05, ! VEHICLE CVR(10) = 0.246E+05, ! SAUCE CVR(11) = 0.162E+03, ! VEHICLE I need to extract the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinj
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to extract line of a file

Ok .. This is driving me nuts. I suppose I need another set of eyes. Example Data interface Vlan1 description xxxxxxxxxxxx ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252 no ip redirects no ip proxy-arp ip flow ingress ip pim sparse-mode load-interval 30 ! interface Vlan2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies
AUSEARCH_ADD_expression(3)					  Linux Audit API					AUSEARCH_ADD_expression(3)

NAME
ausearch_add_expression - build up search expression SYNOPSIS
#include <auparse.h> int ausearch_add_expression(auparse_state_t *au, const char *expression, char **error, ausearch_rule_t how); DESCRIPTION
ausearch_add_item adds an expression to the current audit search expression. The search conditions can then be used to scan logs, files, or buffers for something of interest. The expression parameter contains an expression, as specified in ausearch-expression(5). The how parameter determines how this search expression will affect the existing search expression, if one is already defined. The possi- ble values are: AUSEARCH_RULE_CLEAR Clear the current search expression, if any, and use only this search expression. AUSEARCH_RULE_OR If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E || this_search_expression). AUSEARCH_RULE_AND If a search expression E is already configured, replace it by (E && this_search_expression). RETURN VALUE
If successful, ausearch_add_expression returns 0. Otherwise, it returns -1, sets errno and it may set *error to an error message; the caller must free the error message using free(3). If an error message is not available or can not be allocated, *error is set to NULL. SEE ALSO
ausearch_add_item(3), ausearch_add_interpreted_item(3), ausearch_add_timestamp_item(3), ausearch_add_regex(3), ausearch_set_stop(3), ause- arch_clear(3), ausearch_next_event(3), ausearch-expression(5). AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac Red Hat Feb 2008 AUSEARCH_ADD_expression(3)