Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I split file into pieces with PERL? Post 302479664 by jmmtra on Sunday 12th of December 2010 08:19:23 AM
Old 12-12-2010
Thank you! I've tried it, but I got this message:

Quote:
macbook-pro-de-jmm:es02 jmmmac$ awk '/head/{p=1;i++}p{print > FILENAME"-part-"i}/end/{p=0}' file*
awk: syntax error at source line 1
context is
/head/{p=1;i++}p{print > >>> FILENAME"-part-" <<<
awk: illegal statement at source line 1
awk: illegal statement at source line 1
macbook-pro-de-jose-manuel-martinez-martinez:es02 jmmmac$
By the way, might I write a regular expresion instead of head? Say,
Code:
<intervention.+?>

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help fix my garbage - File Split Program in Perl

Hi, I have the following, it doesn't work and I know it's crap code. The objective is to split a file with a givin number of codes such as: 01,02,03,...,99 Then return all records with each seperate identifier in a new file. The files being split have lrecl=500, recfm=F, and I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get split output of a file, using perl script

Hi, I have file: data.log.1 ### s1 main.build.3495 main.build.199 main.build.3408 ###s2 main.build.3495 main.build.3408 main.build.199 I want to read this file and store in two arrays in Perl. I have following command, which is working fine on command prompt. perl -n -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashvini
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Split for text in file

Hi all I have written Perl script to swap the strings in the second a third column from a text file. My input file format is : the|empty|the|det lake|empty|lake|conj_and was|empty|was|auxpass drained|empty|drained|conj_and birds|empty|bird|s|nn The expected output file format is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a 30GB XML file into 16 pieces

I have a 30 GB XMl file which looks like this: <page> <title>APRIL</title> .........(text contents that I need to extract and store in 1.dat including the <title> tag) </page> <page> <title>August</title> ....(text contents that I need to store in 2.dat including the <title> tag) </page>... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to split a huge file into small pieces (per 2000 columns)?

Dear all, I have a big file:2879(rows)x400,170 (columns) like below. I 'd like to split the file into small pieces:2879(rows)x2000(columns) per file (the last small piece will be 2879x170. So far, I only know how to create one samll piece at one time. But actually I need to repeat this work... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab 2 pieces of data within a file

I am a newbie and what I have is a captured file of content. I want to be able to grab 2 pieces of data, multiple times and print them to the screen. DataFile owner: locke user: fun data size: 60 location: Anaheim owner: david user: work data size: 80 location: Orange my script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greglocke
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to split the text file after every 4th field

I had a text file(comma seperated values) which contains as below 196237,ram,25-May-06,ram.kiran@xyz.com,204183,Pavan,4-Jun-07,Pavan.Desai@xyz.com,237107,ram Chandra,15-Mar-10,ram.krishna@xyz.com ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : to split the tags from xml file

I do have an xml sheet as below where I need the perl script to filter only the hyperlink tags. <cols><col min="1" max="1" width="30.5703125" customWidth="1"/><col min="2" max="2" width="7.140625" bestFit="1" customWidth="1"/> <col min="3" max="3" width="32.28515625" bestFit="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: split 2 part from singel file.

Hi, I would like to split single fine into two array .. Example: file.txt --------------Installation -------------------- #GXTOOL=GxTools-20130501.tar.gz GCSS=GExpLinux-BE-3700.0.12.37.tar.gz TOP=TOPLinux-BE-3700.0.6.21.tar.gz GHDER=GHDERLinux-BE-3700.0.6.20.tar.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break a file into smaller pieces with same search string

please help to break a file into smaller pieces with same search string and delete the matched lines. like i have a below file <expression> some text ........ .......... </expression> <expression> some text ........ .......... </expression> <expression> some text ........... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadeemrafikhan
11 Replies
HEAD(1) 								FSF								   HEAD(1)

NAME
head - output the first part of files SYNOPSIS
head [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=SIZE print first SIZE bytes -n, --lines=NUMBER print first NUMBER lines instead of first 10 -q, --quiet, --silent never print headers giving file names -v, --verbose always print headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for head is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and head programs are properly installed at your site, the command info head should give you access to the complete manual. head (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 HEAD(1)