Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to input the return value (1 or 0) ping cmd to a variable Post 302479659 by jao_madn on Sunday 12th of December 2010 07:04:57 AM
Old 12-12-2010
How to input the return value (1 or 0) ping cmd to a variable

Hi

I would like to ask about my plan script

I have this several workstation want to monitor and execute a command without logging it we use "rsh $host "<command>" i create csh script using foreach to loop my several workstation, my problem with the rsh command is if it encounter a workstation that is being down or move therefore no connection the rsh cmd stop or even not continue. here my initial script and my problem:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/csh -f

foreach host(host1 host2 host.....)
ping -t 30 $host 5 > /dev/null
set status = ( I want the return value of the ping to be the "status" variable )
    if( status == 0 ) then
        rsh $host " uname -a"
    else
        echo " ---$host unavailable---"
    endif

echo " ----- END -----"
sleep 1

end

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 12-12-2010 at 08:26 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl "system" cmd return values..

perl 5.6.1: when i try a "system" command(with if loops for $?), i get this: child exited with value 1 what is meant by this $? values and what does it meant if it returns 1?.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
0 Replies

2. Programming

How to get system() function executed cmd return value ?

Hi, How I can get system function executed command return value ? I want to know mv command success or not ? #include <stdio.h> main() { int ret; ret = system( "mv x.dat y.dat" ); printf( "system ret:\n", ret ); } (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiudhaya
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there way to ping and return boolean answer?

Hello im using sunos and i need to somehow ping other sun in the network but geting boolean return and not the "sun is alive" response can it be done ? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: cmd output to input of another script

I want to write a script in KSH that takes the output of one command and redisplays it. Something like: while true do read inpt date +"%I:%M:%S %p <-> $inpt" done and then some how get the output of the ping command to redirect to the input of this script. does that make sense? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl return ips after successful ping

Hi, I have this script in ksh, what it does is loop every ip in the nodes_nso and produced another variable up_nodes_nso of only ip's that are up. nodes_nso=$(cat /var/tmp/nodes.txt) echo "ICMP Tests:" up_nodes_nso="" for ip in ${nodes_nso} ; do ping ${ip} 3 > /dev/null if ; then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

7. Programming

How to take input from cmd line into file

Hi, I want to be able to write a simple program that takes in input from the command line. I;m am at the level of getchar and putchar. Any examples would be a great help thanks. I intend/prefer also to use the pipe command | eg: input | file1 ---------- Post updated at 04:08 PM ----------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metros
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

input URL into cmd with a alias

I want to run wget "URL" -SO /dev/null 2>&1 | grep "HTTP/\\|Age:\\|Last-Modified:" but I want a alias so I can just type mywget and the URL and it will put the url in the right place and give me the output that I want without having to type that over and over again.:wall: I am newbie to all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: splitradius
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

run cmd based on input

Hi, This is what I have so far but it seems like a lot more than is necessary because....for example...user presses 2 or 3 ..... the script does the *same* thing it just depends on the directory it has to access....how can I improve this so that the code from 2 and 3 is only put once...? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyearth
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing input into a cmd line that's waiting for a response

Hi, I am writing a little script to update a parameters on JMQ. however the JMQ requires a "y" confirmation to be input as part of the cmd I am running. However I want run this script to offline with no input from a user. it works if a I create a file with with just y in it and pass that in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shropshirehobbi
3 Replies
rsh(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   rsh(1M)

NAME
rsh, restricted_shell - restricted shell command interpreter SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/rsh [-acefhiknprstuvx] [argument...] DESCRIPTION
rsh is a limiting version of the standard command interpreter sh, used to restrict logins to execution environments whose capabilities are more controlled than those of sh (see sh(1) for complete description and usage). When the shell is invoked, it scans the environment for the value of the environmental variable, SHELL. If it is found and rsh is the file name part of its value, the shell becomes a restricted shell. The actions of rsh are identical to those of sh, except that the following are disallowed: o changing directory (see cd(1)), o setting the value of $PATH, o pecifying path or command names containing /, o redirecting output (> and >>). The restrictions above are enforced after .profile is interpreted. A restricted shell can be invoked in one of the following ways: 1. rsh is the file name part of the last entry in the /etc/passwd file (see passwd(4)); 2. the environment variable SHELL exists and rsh is the file name part of its value; the environment variable SHELL needs to be set in the .login file; 3. the shell is invoked and rsh is the file name part of argument 0; 4. the shell is invoke with the -r option. When a command to be executed is found to be a shell procedure, rsh invokes sh to execute it. Thus, it is possible to provide to the end- user shell procedures that have access to the full power of the standard shell, while imposing a limited menu of commands; this scheme assumes that the end-user does not have write and execute permissions in the same directory. The net effect of these rules is that the writer of the .profile (see profile(4)) has complete control over user actions by performing guaranteed setup actions and leaving the user in an appropriate directory (probably not the login directory). The system administrator often sets up a directory of commands (that is, /usr/rbin) that can be safely invoked by a restricted shell. Some systems also provide a restricted editor, red. EXIT STATUS
Errors detected by the shell, such as syntax errors, cause the shell to return a non-zero exit status. If the shell is being used non- interactively execution of the shell file is abandoned. Otherwise, the shell returns the exit status of the last command executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(1), cd(1), login(1), rsh(1), sh(1), exec(2), passwd(4), profile(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The restricted shell, /usr/lib/rsh, should not be confused with the remote shell, /usr/bin/rsh, which is documented in rsh(1). SunOS 5.10 1 Nov 1993 rsh(1M)