Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a single character from each line of the file Post 302479639 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 12th of December 2010 02:53:34 AM
Old 12-12-2010
bash/ksh93:
Code:
while read line; do
  echo "${line:25:1}"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

reading a single character in C

Can anyone help me????? My problem is that i want to read only one charcter from keyboard. Each time my program waits to press enter or ^d. I don't want that. As soon as i press a charcter it should proceed to next statement in program without pressing enter or ^d. please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a single line

hello, i need an algorithm which reads a line specified to it in shortest possible time. i am already using sed, i need a better way. please suggest me alternatives (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Multiple Variables From a Single Line in Shell

I'm a Linux newb, I've been running a Debian Linux server for about a year now, and I've written some simple scripts to automate various things, but I still don't know much, and I forget what I learn as fast as I figure it out... Anyway, that really isn't important, I just want you to know that... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drek
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to remove single character from a line

Here is a sample code grep '903' -i user.txt | tail -2 | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/B//g' the input file has data as such 903-xxx-xxxxB 903-xxx-xxxxB It is a dialer file i want to remove the "B" any help thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iz3k34l
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the truncating of multiple spaces into a single space while reading a line from a file?

consider the small piece of code while read line do echo $line done < example content of example file sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the output is like sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading of variable in a single line command

Hi All, Below is a sample command that I can run without any problem in the command line. Command Line dtToday=`date +%Y%m%d`; ls -ltr ./filename_${dtToday}.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 monuser oinstall 0 Jan 18 11:02 ./filename_20130118.txt But once I put that command line in file (list.txt) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: padi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)