Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace all occurrences of strings with parentheses Post 302479593 by ff1969ff1969 on Saturday 11th of December 2010 05:51:49 PM
Old 12-11-2010
Question Replace all occurrences of strings with parentheses

Hi,
I tried to adapt bartus's solution to my problem, without success. I want to replace all the occurences of this:
Quote:
globalFunc(something)
with:
Quote:
something.memberFunc()
, where something can contain an arbitrary number of balanced parens and brakets.
Any ideas ?
Best,

Last edited by Scott; 12-12-2010 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: New thread; added link to other thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parentheses in perl find/replace

I'm trying to use the following command to do a batch find and replace in all commonly named files through a file hierarchy find . -name 'file' |xargs perl -pi -e 's/find/replace/g' which works fine except for a substitution involving parenthesis. As a specific example I'm trying to sub... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeffish
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text in parentheses

Hi I would like to replace a comma in parentheses to a semicolon for example. Other commas outside () stay unchanged. How can I do this? aaaa,bbb,ccc,ddd(eee,fff,ggg),hhh,iii to aaaa,bbb,ccc,ddd(eee;fff;ggg),hhh,iii Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting strings surrounded by parentheses and seperate by commas

Excuse the terrible title. I have a text file of 1..n lines, each one containing at least one string between parentheses. Within each string, there is one or more strings separated by commas. I need to extract each string, thus: input file: (THIS,THAT) (THE,OTHER) (THING) (OR,MAYBE)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpfeif
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace multiple occurrences on the same line, but not all

Hi there! I am really enjoying working with sed. I am trying to come up with a sed command to replace some occurrences (not all) in the same line, for instance: I have a command which the output will be: 200.300.400.5 0A 0B 0C 01 02 03 being that the last 6 strings are actually one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print number of occurrences of many different strings

People, I need your help with making a script which will 1. take as an input the number of lines, smth like this: ((RUBROBACTER_1_PE1288 (((SALINISPORA_1_PE1863 SALINISPORA_1_PE1828)100 ((NOCARDIOIDES_2_PE2419 PROPIONIBACTERIUM_1_PE1395)96 ((((((((CORYNEBACTERIUM_1_PE1119... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how many occurrences of different strings are there in each FILE.

Hello , I need some help to pull the data from different files, simultaneously for the string provided. I want to search below strings. PTN:3763427632478 IDB:3298734287438 PTN:8734983298738 From the files BELOW CODE_FILE_LOG1 CODE_FILE_LOG2 CODE_FILE_LOG3 CODE_FILE_LOG4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and gsub - how to replace only the first X occurrences

I have a text (text.txt) and I would like to replace only the first 2 occurrences of a word (but I might need to replace more): For example, if text is this: CAR sweet head hat red yellow CAR book brown tiger CAR cow CAR CAR milk I would like to replace the word "CAR" with word... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bingel
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Sort substring occurrences in array of strings

Hi, My developer is on vacation and I am not sure if there is something which is easier for this. I have an array of strings. Each string in the array has "%" characters in it. I have to get the string(s) which have the least number of "%" in them. I know how I can get occurrences : ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to replace with pattern except for text and closing parentheses

Can someone help me with a sed command: There will be multiple occurences in a file that look like this: MyFunction(12c34r5) and I need to replace that with just the 12c34r5 for every occurrence. The text between the parentheses will be different on each occurrence, so I can't search for that.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: missb
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP between last occurrences of two strings

Hi I have the server.log file as: Server Stopped ABC DEF GHI JKL Server Started MNO PQR STU Server Stopped VWX YZ ABC Server Started Server Stopped 123 456 789 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
9 Replies
STR_REPLACE(3)								 1							    STR_REPLACE(3)

str_replace - Replace all occurrences of the search string with the replacement string

SYNOPSIS
mixed str_replace (mixed $search, mixed $replace, mixed $subject, [int &$count]) DESCRIPTION
This function returns a string or an array with all occurrences of $search in $subject replaced with the given $replace value. If you don't need fancy replacing rules (like regular expressions), you should always use this function instead of preg_replace(3). PARAMETERS
If $search and $replace are arrays, then str_replace(3) takes a value from each array and uses them to search and replace on $subject. If $replace has fewer values than $search, then an empty string is used for the rest of replacement values. If $search is an array and $replace is a string, then this replacement string is used for every value of $search. The converse would not make sense, though. If $search or $replace are arrays, their elements are processed first to last. o $search - The value being searched for, otherwise known as the needle. An array may be used to designate multiple needles. o $replace - The replacement value that replaces found $search values. An array may be used to designate multiple replacements. o $subject - The string or array being searched and replaced on, otherwise known as the haystack. If $subject is an array, then the search and replace is performed with every entry of $subject, and the return value is an array as well. o $count - If passed, this will be set to the number of replacements performed. RETURN VALUES
This function returns a string or an array with the replaced values. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Basic str_replace(3) examples <?php // Provides: <body text='black'> $bodytag = str_replace("%body%", "black", "<body text='%body%'>"); // Provides: Hll Wrld f PHP $vowels = array("a", "e", "i", "o", "u", "A", "E", "I", "O", "U"); $onlyconsonants = str_replace($vowels, "", "Hello World of PHP"); // Provides: You should eat pizza, beer, and ice cream every day $phrase = "You should eat fruits, vegetables, and fiber every day."; $healthy = array("fruits", "vegetables", "fiber"); $yummy = array("pizza", "beer", "ice cream"); $newphrase = str_replace($healthy, $yummy, $phrase); // Provides: 2 $str = str_replace("ll", "", "good golly miss molly!", $count); echo $count; ?> Example #2 Examples of potential str_replace(3) gotchas <?php // Order of replacement $str = "Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Line 4 "; $order = array(" ", " ", " "); $replace = '<br />'; // Processes 's first so they aren't converted twice. $newstr = str_replace($order, $replace, $str); // Outputs F because A is replaced with B, then B is replaced with C, and so on... // Finally E is replaced with F, because of left to right replacements. $search = array('A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E'); $replace = array('B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F'); $subject = 'A'; echo str_replace($search, $replace, $subject); // Outputs: apearpearle pear // For the same reason mentioned above $letters = array('a', 'p'); $fruit = array('apple', 'pear'); $text = 'a p'; $output = str_replace($letters, $fruit, $text); echo $output; ?> NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. Caution Replacement order gotcha Because str_replace(3) replaces left to right, it might replace a previously inserted value when doing multiple replacements. See also the examples in this document. Note This function is case-sensitive. Use str_ireplace(3) for case-insensitive replace. SEE ALSO
str_ireplace(3), substr_replace(3), preg_replace(3), strtr(3). PHP Documentation Group STR_REPLACE(3)