Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Breaking out of loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Breaking out of loop Post 302479473 by vpv0002 on Friday 10th of December 2010 07:55:14 PM
Old 12-10-2010
Breaking out of loop

I have a main script with while loop having for loop inside. Again in for loop based on if condition few functions will be called. So when a function is called for certain condition it should come out from the main for loop and should continue with while loop.
Let me explain with example here:
I am having a ksh as below
Code:
###Functions#####
execute_sqlldr()
{
sqlldr user/pass control=$ctl log=$log data=$file discard=$dis
RC=$?
  if [$RC -eq 0] then 
      echo "loaded successfully"
  elif [$RC -eq 1 -o $RC -eq 3]; then
      echo "sqlldr problem"
  elif [$RC -eq 2]; then
      ??
  fi
return 0
}

execute_sp()
{
-----
}

###Main Program####
while [1]
do
  for file in `ls /home/usr/*.txt`
  do
      if grep 'Oracle Available'; then
          execute_sqlldr $file
      else 
          echo "database is not available"
      fi

execute_sp $file
     done
done

Here in the main program when execute_sqlldr $file is called and when $RC -eq 2 then my program instead of coming back to for loop in main program and calling the next function execute_sp $file it should come wholly out of for loop and should start from while loop. So with what should i replace ?? with in the function execute_sqlldr().
I hope i am clear here. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Breaking Mirror

Can some one point this UNIX newbie to a web site or directions on the steps needed to break a mirror in HP-UNIX to change a bad hard drive. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: egress1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh breaking me out of loop

Hey all I have two scripts, one script containing the guts of my code. The other simply loops through a list, calling the other script on each iteration. Problem is when I add the line `/usr/bin/rsh -l root $HOSTNAME ""` to my main script, the loop never seems to exectute any more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mark007
1 Replies

3. Linux

breaking out of while loop

Hi , I am running this script ( pasting only error code ) to generate some ddl definition for tables . But what I want is to break out of the db2look part when the base_table is not like DIM_$TN or FACT_$TN . After this it should come back to while loop to read the next TN . I read the other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: capri_drm
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking Loop by using another script

Hi friends, I have 2 scripts. 1) Master_Script.sh and 2) Sub_script.sh We run Master_script.sh manually where as sub_script.sh keeps generating output in every 2 minutes (through crontab). The output generated by sub_script.sh can be 0 or 1. As I told you, sub-script.sh keeps generating o/p... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking if-else loop and variety of comparisions

Hello Friends, Im trying to write a script to invoke nagios. In order to do this I grep some words that comes from output of some backup scripts. When there is "End-of-tape detected" in directed output logs it should give alarm. First I would like to know if there is any better way to write... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking up a file

Hi, I have a file that looks like this - lets call it fileA >hhm2 IIIIIIIIILLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHHHH >hhm4 OOOOOKKKKKKKKMMMMMHHHHHLLLLLLLLWWWWWWWWWWW >hhm9 OOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKKKMMMMMHHHHHHHHHHHLLLLLLLLLL So the file is pretty straight forward. The name is indicated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

breaking for loop

Dear Friends, Here I need your guidance once again. I have for loop which check all files in a folder for a particular string. If the string is found in a file it returns value other than 0 else returns 0 value in variable t2. At times the string which we are looking for is in first file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh to remote server loop is breaking

hi All, cat login.list server1 userid1 server2 userid2 server3 userid3 ---------------------------------------- #SSHSCRIPT.ksh FILE=login.list while read vah vah_id do ssh $vah -l $vah_id "pwd" done < "$FILE" ----------------------------------------- When i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking a pipe

Here's my code - for File in "${Files}"; do uuencode "${File}" "$(basename ${File} 2>&-)" 2>&-; done | mailx -s "subject" "a@b.c" Now I want to know if there a way to *not* send an email if the "Files" variables turns out to be blank. Any suggestions? Also, just to clarify, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop breaking when using "ssh" command inside

Hi , I am trying to read a list of hosts from a config file and trying to get file list from that host. For this I have used one while loop. cat "$ARCHIVE_CFG_FILE" | sed '/^$/d' | sed '/^#/d' | while read ARCHIVE_CFG do SOURCE_SERVER_NAME=`echo "$ARCHIVE_CFG" | awk -F '|' '{ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } EXAMPLE
Read lines from a channel until we get to the end of the stream, and print them out with a line-number prepended: set lineCount 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineCount]: $line" } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)