Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Uli101 assignment 2
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Uli101 assignment 2 Post 302479369 by vbe on Friday 10th of December 2010 12:07:07 PM
Old 12-10-2010
Code:
for path in $1 ls .*[mM][pP]3
do
        tag=$(tail -c 128 $path)

Look at this code, why dont you test it yourself, you will see that "tag=$(tail -c 128 $path)" is syntaxly wrong, look at the man pages of tail, look at my previous output!
I will give you a hint:
When desperate, I echo every new part of instruction in a program with references sso I know where I am in the program and display all the variables (using echo ). This is the only way you can see if you have the expected output

(DId you go to the end of lines of my previous post to see the words displayed in bold?)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to do my assignment?????

my lecturer want to do an assignment about telnet server..first, he want us to download the telnet server..then he want we do about copy files and share files by using the telnet server....what is that??? and one more thing is how to do 'ping'???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amelia
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

New Assignment

All Sys Administrators, With due respect I would like to know what should be BEST Things to do when LEAVING one job , and what Precaution MUST be taken while taking over new JOB?? Please Discuss in detail the STEP to be taken for both the TIME ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

RE value assignment

Hi all How do I assign a pattern to a variable after a match is found using a regular expression in PERL? For example using a regular expression (RE) and matching as given if ($_ =~ /(?:\s*+\s*,)*\s*+\s*/) I want to assign the pattern matched by the RE to a variable. e.g. given the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with variable assignment

Hi, In AIX I have a variable with , (coma) separated values assigned to it like shown below var1=apple,boy,chris i want to convert this to var1='apple','boy','chris' the number of values assigned to var1 might change and it could be from 1 to n any suggestions please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul9909
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

could really use some help! Uli101 assignment 2

Continue here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
0 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Assignment Help

1. List commands to create the directory hierarchy $HOME/a/b/c in vi to replace all occurences of TMP with tmp in lines 1 through 10 in vi to replace first occurence of CPU_file with DISK_file at line 15 2. Explain with a very simple example, usage of "ls -a" 3. What do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessesaini
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Assignment !! :D

Q-1 Write a shell script in Unix that lists files from your current working directory · By modification time when called with lm · By access time when called with la. By default, the script should show the listing of all the files in the current directory. Q-2 Write a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishank Parikh
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help Assignment !! :D

Q-1 Write a shell script in Unix that lists files from your current working directory · By modification time when called with lm · By access time when called with la. By default, the script should show the listing of all the files in the current directory. Q-2 Write a shell script which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishank Parikh
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a little help with assignment

Hello all im currently working on this assignment and a little stump on how to check for an argument heres the instructions: Step 4: Modify your script so that if there is an argument called TestError you display the following error message with your usage statement. TestError found Example:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsn3971
1 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-f | -F | -r] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus (``+'') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus (``-'') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default starting location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option is the same as the -f option, except that every five seconds tail will check to see if the file named on the command line has been shortened or moved (it is considered moved if the inode or device number changes) and, if so, it will close the current file, open the filename given, print out the entire contents, and continue to wait for more data to be appended. This option is used to follow log files though rotation by newsyslog(8) or similar programs. -n number The location is number lines. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where ``XXX'' is the name of the file. The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -b, -r and -F options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e. ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
When using the -F option, tail will not detect a file truncation if, between the truncation and the next check of the file size, data written to the file make it larger than the last known file size. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD