Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Can't play sound files with aplay or cat to /dev/dsp Post 302479354 by Corona688 on Friday 10th of December 2010 11:25:39 AM
Old 12-10-2010
Code:
snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss

Using the kernel's built-in OSS emulation for ALSA will let anything that uses OSS devices hog the raw sound device in the old-fashioned OSS way. You might want to disable that in the kernel and use ALSA's alsa-oss compatibility library instead.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there kind of good utility that convert make files to dsp?

Hello all im looking for some kind of utility that convert make files to dsp files is there any kind of tool/script that does this job? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Linux

fedora: problem to play mp3 files.

hi friends. i have tried all above option to play mp3 files but i am not able to listen mp3 files. i have tried above option using yum like $ su - # yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg i got a error like Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit Could... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat /dev/null

Hi, Excuse my ignorance here - I'm a networks man and my knowledge of all things unix is somewhat limited. We have a very large file (/var/tmp/mond.log) that we need to zero - does the "cat /dev/null > /var/tmp/mond.log" command achieve this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakydancer
4 Replies

4. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Play sound

hi i want to produce digit sounds.for ex: if my input text is four five six then code should able to produce sounds corresponding to digits which are stored in some directory as four.wav,five.wav etc.Please help me (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
8 Replies

7. Debian

How to play avi files Raspberry Pi?

Raspberry Pi B 2014-01-07 Raspbian fully up to date. Installed and configured motion for surveillance. It works just fine and creates .avi files and .jpeg. Installed Mplayer trying to run it from desktop was not successful. I did try to do a command line by executing sudo mplayer... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldcity
6 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to play video files one after the other continously?

Hi, There are many MP4 files in a folder say 50 files . All these files are video clipping files.Instead of playing the video one by one , is it possible to play all video clipping files into single shot ? Say for example when i play one video file it gets over after sometime and to view... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cmd 'cat /dev/urandom' not closing cleanly

Hi I'm running the following command to generate a random password in a KSH script on a RHEL Linux VM but for some reason the cmd is not being closed and it's causing problems on the host. PASSWORD="$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc "a-zA-Z0-9" | fold -w 16 | head -1)Aa0!" The code worked as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
2 Replies
7(16 December 2012)													       7(16 December 2012)

NAME
sndstat - Open Sound System status device DESCRIPTION
/dev/sndstat is a text formatted device special file that returns information about available (OSS) sound devices. This device file is obsolete and the ossinfo(1) utility should be used instead. Notice that the device numbering used in this file is different that the official numbering used by ossinfo(1) and some other utilities. /dev/sndstat uses device numbers that match the "legacy" /dev/dspN, /dev/midiN and /dev/mixerN device files. Application programs should not use /dev/sndstat to obtain information about the sound devices. The format of this file may change in the future and /dev/sndstat may even be removed from OSS in distant future. OSS 4.0 and later has an ioctl interface for getting detailed and reliable information about the devices. AUDIO USAGE HISTORY
/dev/sndstat reports some history information about previously run audio applications. This section is a debugging aid for application developers and it will be moved to the ossinfo program in the future. For example: History: /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm0.10: pid 6326 cmd 'error_test' OUT Play events:01009:2 Rec events:01002:0 /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm0.10: pid 6329 cmd 'mpg123' OUT /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm0.10: pid 6329 cmd 'mpg123' OUT /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm0.10: pid 6329 cmd 'mpg123' OUT Each line will show the the device name, PID and name of the application (if known) and access mode (IN and/or OUT). There may also be additional info about buffer underruns/overruns and other recording and playback related events. Each Play and rec events consist of 5-6 digit event code and a parameter separated by a colon. A list of defined event codes and their explanations can be found from http://manuals.opensound.com/developer/oss_error_codes.html. Purpose of these events is to inform applica- tion developers by potential problems in their code. COMPATIBILITY
/dev/sndstat has been available in all OSS versions. However in OSS 4.0 and later this device file should only be used by applications written for earlier OSS versions. OPTIONS
None PROGRAMMING INFORMATION
Some applications use /dev/sndstat to find the audio devices available in the system. This method is no longer recommended. Applications should use the SNDCTL_AUDIOINFO(2) ioctl call to find the devices. SEE ALSO
o dsp(7) - Audio device files o mixer(7) - Mixer (control panel) device files o midi(7) - MIDI device files FILES
/dev/sndstat AUTHOR
4Front Technologies OSS Devices 7(16 December 2012)