Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers PC User/UNIX Novice - Where do I start? Post 302479129 by vpundit on Friday 10th of December 2010 12:07:02 AM
Old 12-10-2010

don't know where you can get it from but if you can get your hands on a aix o/s then i think that is one of the best unix platforms to use. not sure where you can get it though. it has easy commands like smit and when the command is complete it can show you all the commands it did.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Hi I M Novice User

hi everyone i m a novice user . just want to know how to use this website and also learn unix from the basics. can any one help me please.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSK
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting-Need help-NOVICE -PLEASE HELP

I really want to get into unix scripting,work with RS6000 -AIX. How do i get started,what books are good for beginners,i am very desperate I have no programming background but ready to scrafice all my time in learning .please help. PLEASE,PLEASE PLEASE ,HELP.... Any advice will realy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanaman
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Novice - File Manipulation

Hi, I am brand new to unix and am hoping someone can start me in the right direction. I want to be able to put the results of a file command such as wc -l filename into a variable which I can then use to test against another variable...i.e. I need to show the nth line of a file, but need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmullane
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

start a program with other user's permission

I have some of programs in unix system which are to started with one_user say "xxxx". I have sudo permission if i start these programs with sudo it shows root permission. But i want these programs permession should be "xxxx". I tried "su user_name -c Program_name" but it is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start a service as user

Hi I need a service to be start as user after a reboot. My script in /etc/init.d contain the following: start() { su - $USER cd ${INSTALL_PATH}/bin ./MyApp -X exit return 0 } This function stops after su - $USER, I get user shell, and only if I manualy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NEW to Unix (novice)

Heya all Im just reading up on the solaris o/s and unix and i just have the following qustions 1) is the solaris o/s the same as Unix if not how are they different - i.e. are they different operating systems? 2) Can the Unix be loaded from CD without affectin windows o/s just like linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new214
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to start CDE for non root user on Solaris 10

Hi, How can I start CDE for non root user created.For root CDE is working fine but for non root user CDE exits back to login screen after trying for some time.Also I cant see .dt and .dtprofile files in the users home directory.How can I create them.Kindly help. Thanks & Regards, Kiran. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranherekar
1 Replies

8. Programming

Novice in C needs help

Guys can you help me ? I'm novice in C but I have a lot of will to master C. Each gurney starts with first step O.K. My problem is to compare two integers entered by user I know how to set up conditions and problem is how to print correct value (grater number) // This program... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start script when a user starts a remote session

Howdy, I'm fairly new at bash scripting, but (for some reason) I've been tasked with building a bastion server and logging all (ssh/telnet) remote activity. Each session must create a unique log file - the name of each file must include the user ID, the connection method (ssh/telnet), the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilo90
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

User (Profile) Specific Start Menu for RHEL 6.1 using KDE 4.3.4

I installed RHEL 6.1 with KDE 4.3.4 using LDAP on a PC and have now the problem to specifiy a user/Profile specific start menu. I have used already the kmenuedit tool and tailored for one user a specific menu, successfully. I changed as an example the konsole submenu. The kmenuedit was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gromit
0 Replies
RHN_CHECK(8)							  Red Hat Network						      RHN_CHECK(8)

NAME
rhn_check - check for queued actions on RHN and execute them SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rhn_check [-v] [--verbose] DESCRIPTION
rhn_check is a client program that connects to the Red Hat Network backend servers and retrieves information associated with the queued actions for this particular system. This script reads the digital server ID from /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid and uses that to identify the machine to the Red Hat Network. Upon successfull authentication, rhn_check will start processing the queued actions sequentially. ACTION TYPES
The following types of actions are currently processed by rhn_check: action type description () () refresh This action will refresh the hardware or software profiles of this machine with Red Hat Network. This fucntion is called as refresh(hardware) or refresh(rpmlist) new_systemid This action is used by the RHn Backend to update the Digital system ID of this machine with a new one. update_packages This action will trigger rhn_check into running a package update for a list of packages queued from the Red Hat Network. rhn_check will use modules from the up2date client to download the packages, solve dependencies and install the on the system. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid The digital server ID for this machine if the system has been registered onto Red Hat Network. This file does not exist otherwise. /var/spool/up2date This directory is used by up2date to store package headers and RPM packages downloaded from Red Hat Network SEE ALSO
man pages for up2date(8) and rhnsd(8). AUTHORS
Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> ()