Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? STILL can't buy a Linux PC easily Post 302479041 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 01:56:53 PM
Old 12-09-2010
The average user has a very murky idea of the difference between hardware and software. Somewhere along the way I think some important education's been lost. People get taught to point and click in introductory classes but nobody tells them what a computer actually is. Without that, the idea of a "different OS" doesn't make any sense.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see all the subdirectories easily?

Suppose I have two directories a and b. Each directory has a few subdirectories, a1 a2 a3 and b1, b2, b3 respectively. Using ls, I can see a and b. Then I need cd a, ls, cd ../b, ls to see all the subdirectories. How to see all the directories and subdirectories easily, say using just one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
2 Replies

2. Fedora

Unix which can easily boot from a DVD

Hi, Really sorry if this is in the wrong place etc but I really need some big time newbie help :o I am a recent Maths graduate and have been invited to a 4 day job interview/assessment where I will be taught and tested on the following: "Fedora UNIX, Bash Scripting". Having no experience... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rich147
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easily search file and get line - little problem

hi, file1.txt: cell101 1 20.24.1.1 10 cell101 2 20.24.1.2 20 cell101 3 20.24.1.3 30 cell327 1 20.24.1.4 40 cell327 2 20.24.1.5 50 cell327 3 20.24.1.5 60 ... file2.txt: cell101 1 cell327 1 cell327 3 ... according to values in file2.txt, the script should search lines and get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
7 Replies

4. Linux

How to easily identify socket given a PID on Linux?

I have the PID of a process running on Linux mymac 2.6.18-417.el5 #1 SMP Sat Nov 19 14:54:59 EST 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I need to get the ip & port i.e socket details of the given PID (32752). Based on a suggestion on my other thread i tried bash-3.2$ netstat -anpt | grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
FSF-FUNDING(7)								GNU							    FSF-FUNDING(7)

NAME
fsf-funding - Funding Free Software DESCRIPTION
Funding Free Software If you want to have more free software a few years from now, it makes sense for you to help encourage people to contribute funds for its development. The most effective approach known is to encourage commercial redistributors to donate. Users of free software systems can boost the pace of development by encouraging for-a-fee distributors to donate part of their selling price to free software developers---the Free Software Foundation, and others. The way to convince distributors to do this is to demand it and expect it from them. So when you compare distributors, judge them partly by how much they give to free software development. Show distributors they must compete to be the one who gives the most. To make this approach work, you must insist on numbers that you can compare, such as, ``We will donate ten dollars to the Frobnitz project for each disk sold.'' Don't be satisfied with a vague promise, such as ``A portion of the profits are donated,'' since it doesn't give a basis for comparison. Even a precise fraction ``of the profits from this disk'' is not very meaningful, since creative accounting and unrelated business decisions can greatly alter what fraction of the sales price counts as profit. If the price you pay is $50, ten percent of the profit is probably less than a dollar; it might be a few cents, or nothing at all. Some redistributors do development work themselves. This is useful too; but to keep everyone honest, you need to inquire how much they do, and what kind. Some kinds of development make much more long-term difference than others. For example, maintaining a separate version of a program contributes very little; maintaining the standard version of a program for the whole community contributes much. Easy new ports contribute little, since someone else would surely do them; difficult ports such as adding a new CPU to the GNU Compiler Collection contribute more; major new features or packages contribute the most. By establishing the idea that supporting further development is ``the proper thing to do'' when distributing free software for a fee, we can assure a steady flow of resources into making more free software. SEE ALSO
gpl(7), gfdl(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Verbatim copying and redistribution of this section is permitted without royalty; alteration is not permitted. gcc-4.0.1 2009-05-18 FSF-FUNDING(7)