Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Applying Recommended Patch Cluster to Whole Root Zone Post 302478904 by nm146332 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 06:50:23 AM
Old 12-09-2010
Applying Recommended Patch Cluster to Whole Root Zone

Hi there,

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered already but I've not been able to find the thread.

Question: Is it possible to apply the Solaris 10 Recommended Patch Cluster to a whole root (non-global) zone locally? I.E. apply the patch cluster from the non-global in single-user mode without having to do it from the global zone.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
N
This User Gave Thanks to nm146332 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

What kind of steps should be followed while applying patch in real time?

Hi, As in the solaris material i know that the patch is added through the command "patchadd <patch no.>". But i need to know, what are all the steps we have to follow while applying a patch in a production server. My friend says that we have to detach mirror before applying patch and not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
6 Replies

2. Solaris

10 Recommended Patch Not Working

Hello, The 10_Recommended update failed on 3 of 191, which was patch 119254-73 (the 1st 2 patches were skipped). I looked up the patch on Sunsolve (http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-21-119254), which stated that 121133-02 was a required patch for 119254-73. I did a "showrev... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringman
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Issue while installing: Solaris 10 SPARC Recommended Patch Cluster (2009.10.23)

Hello, As explained, I've encountered an issue while installing Solaris 10 SPARC Recommended Patch Cluster (2009.10.23). Actually, patch no 120011-14 stops with the following error: ERROR: attribute verification of </var/run/.patchSafeMode/root/usr/bin/passwd> failed file type <f>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a.mauger
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Jumpstart and Applying Recommended Patch Cluster

I'm trying to setup our jumpstart server to automatically apply the latest patch cluster during installs, but I'm running into an issue. Every time Jumpstart runs it has this error. Obviously it's processing the patch_order file, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun cluster 4.0 - zone cluster failover doubt

Hello experts - I am planning to install a Sun cluster 4.0 zone cluster fail-over. few basic doubts. (1) Where should i install the cluster s/w binaries ?. ( global zone or the container zone where i am planning to install the zone fail-over) (2) Or should i perform the installation on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NVA
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Recommended Patch Cluster Using ZFS Snapshots

I have a question regarding installing recommended patch clusters via ZFS snapshots. Someone wrote a pretty good blog about it here: Initial Program Load: Live Upgrade to install the recommended patch cluster on a ZFS snapshot The person's article is similar to what I've done in the past. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typical steps to be followed while applying an application patch upgrade on linux

what are the typical steps used by system adminstrators while applying an application patch upgrade (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Oracle stopped updating Solaris 10 recommended patch cluster ?

Dear All, Has Oracle stopped updating Solaris 10 recommended patch cluster ? From suport.oracle.com i could see the last patch bundle was released on 11th july and there has been no updates after that. Does anyone know about any official announcement from oracle on this ? Thanks ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_8029
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Recompile the kernel after applying a patch in Ubuntu.

I have applied a patch using this command: patch -p1 < (file) then I did git commit -a. Now I want to recompile the kernel for making this patch live. Should I use make oldconfig or make localmodconfig After that, make -j$(grep -c "processor" /proc/cpuinfo) sudo make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BHASKAR JUPUDI
1 Replies

10. Debian

Applying patch for Samba version 4.1.17

The version of Samba in our billing server is 4.1.17-Debian. I have been reminded by our management to implement the patch for Samba on this server. However, I am not sure how to implement the patch. I have browsed some websites for the correct patch to implement for Samba 4.1.17, and the patch... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
11 Replies
lx(5)							Standards, Environments, and Macros						     lx(5)

NAME
lx - Linux branded zone DESCRIPTION
The lx brand uses the branded zones framework described in brands(5) to enable Linux binary applications to run unmodified on a machine with a Solaris Operating System kernel. The lx brand includes the tools necessary to install a CentOS 3.x or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.x distribution inside a non-global zone. The brand supports the execution of 32-bit Linux applications on x86/x64 machines running the Solaris system in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode. Supported Linux Distributions The lx brand emulates the system call interfaces provided by the Linux 2.4.21 kernel, as modified by Red Hat in the RHEL 3.x distributions. This kernel provides the system call interfaces consumed by the glibc version 2.3.2 released by Red Hat. In addition, the lx brand partially emulates the Linux /dev and /proc interfaces. Configuration and Administration The lx brand supports the whole root non-global zone model. All of the required linux packages are installed into the private file systems of the zone. The zonecfg(1M) utility is used to configure an lx branded zone. Once a branded zone has been installed, that zone's brand cannot be changed or removed. The zoneadm(1M) utility is used to report the zone's brand type and administer the zone. The zlogin(1) utility is used to log in to the zone. Application Support The lx zone only supports user-level Linux applications. You cannot use Linux device drivers, Linux kernel modules, or Linux file systems from inside an lx zone. You cannot add any non-standard Solaris devices to a Linux zone. Any attempt to do so will result in a zone that zonecfg(1M) will refuse to verify. You cannot run Solaris applications inside an lx zone. Solaris debugging tools such as DTrace (see dtrace(1M)) and mdb (see mdb(1)) can be applied to Linux processes executing inside the zone, but the tools themselves must be running in the global zone. Any core files generated are produced in the Solaris format, and such files can only be debugged with Solaris tools. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWlxr, SUNWlxu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdb(1), zlogin(1), zonename(1), dtrace(1M), zoneadm(1M), zonecfg(1M), brands(5), zones(5), lx_systrace(7D) SunOS 5.11 19 Sep 2006 lx(5)