Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help identifying the first word in a string Post 302478858 by kazazza on Thursday 9th of December 2010 05:05:42 AM
Old 12-09-2010
Spot on guys, thanks very much for your quick responses, much appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the n-th word in a string

Hi, Suppose I do this: $ wc file.txt 96 333 6629 file.txt and I want to get the 3rd word from the left (i.e. get the string 6629) and check its value. What do I do? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the location of word in a string

How to use instr function in awk ? to get the location a) for example instr('productiondata_12','data',1) to get the location of data using awk. b) for example instr('sampledata_rev_12','rev',1) to get the location of data and reaplce with "org" using awk. can anyone help ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vrgurav
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying a string from a set of files and printing to a new file

Dear All, I'm an amateur to writing scripts and need to do the following Need to read all files with a .log extension in a directory and identify the value for username i.e. all files have something like username = John. Once this is read, I need to print this value to a new file. The new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelly_B
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word After a string.

Hello Gurus, I have a file which has foll contents scattered: ,TotUnasgndNetAmt FROM DEV_EIS_T.Wkly_SO_CCD_MOSumSnpsht WHERE CalDayRunDt = '2010-07-21' UNION ALL SELECT CalDayRunDt ,BusWkCd ,'N' I want to replace 2010-07-21 that starts after ' and ends before... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_u
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep part of word or Another word from a string

Hi all, FileOne family balance >>>>> 0 0 0 0 java.io.FileNotFoundException: Settings.xml (No such file or directory) at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) .. .... ..... ..... java.lang.NullPointerException ... ..... ...... Stacktrace: at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word in a string starting with another word

Hi All, I have a file in which a number of lines are starting with similar first word but different next words. I want to replace the any nth word(not 1st or 2nd) with another word. Eg:- My file contains are like this:- Ram is a boy. Ram is a good boy. Ram plays cricket. Here I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshbaranwal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying entries based on 2 fields in a string.

Hi Guys, I’m struggling to use two fields to do a duplicate/ unique by output. I want to look IP addresses assigned to more than one account during a given period in the logs. So duplicate IP and account > 1 then print all the logs for that IP. I have been Using AWK (just as its installed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wabbit02
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we get the character before and after a word in a string?

Hi friends, I am working in a korn shell. i want to know the command which gives me the previous one character and next one character of a given keyword in a string? for exmaple: input string: /bin/dir/folder1/.proc_name^folderone Keyword: proc_name output : .^ ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a word from a string

Hello All, I have a string like below - /LDCA20/rel/prod/libina.a I want to delete "libina.a" which is at the end.How can I do this ?? Thanks in advance Regards, Anand (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last word of a string?

Hello I have a string that may or may not have 4 dots. The string is actualy a file within a folder, where multiple files are located. Files may look like: # ls * creds: 192.168.10.110 someserver shares: 192.168.10.110.Public someserver.sharefolder # I want to fill 2 variables,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies
IPSEC_RANBITS(8)						  [FIXME: manual]						  IPSEC_RANBITS(8)

NAME
ipsec_ranbits - generate random bits in ASCII form SYNOPSIS
ipsec ranbits [--quick] [--continuous] [--bytes] nbits DESCRIPTION
Ranbits obtains nbits (rounded up to the nearest byte) high-quality random bits from random(4), and emits them on standard output as an ASCII string. The default output format is datatot(3) h format: lowercase hexadecimal with a 0x prefix and an underscore every 32 bits. The --quick option produces quick-and-dirty random bits: instead of using the high-quality random bits from /dev/random, which may take some time to supply the necessary bits if nbits is large, ranbits uses /dev/urandom, which yields prompt results but lower-quality randomness. The --continuous option uses datatot(3) x output format, like h but without the underscores. The --bytes option causes nbits to be interpreted as a byte count rather than a bit count. FILES
/dev/random, /dev/urandom SEE ALSO
ipsec_datatot(3), random(4) HISTORY
Written for the Linux FreeS/WAN project <http://www.freeswan.org> by Henry Spencer. BUGS
There is an internal limit on nbits, currently 20000. Without --quick, ranbits's run time is difficult to predict. A request for a large number of bits, at a time when the system's entropy pool is low on randomness, may take quite a while to satisfy. Though not a bug of ranbits, the direct use of /dev/hw_random, the Linux hardware random number generator is not supported because it can produce very non-random data. To properly use /dev/hw_random, the rngd daemon should be used to read from /dev/hw_random and write to /dev/random, while performing a FIPS test on the hardware random read. No changes to Openswan are required for this support - just a running rngd. [FIXME: source] 10/06/2010 IPSEC_RANBITS(8)