Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tricky little problem, send signal to other machine without user Post 302478816 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 03:00:54 AM
Old 12-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by declannalced
Hmmm, that's not a bad idea. But I'd like a fast response time. Would it be hard to make it check about once a second?
Once a second is a bit much. It's easy to say a server can handle one connection per second but that doesn't mean it completes them always within that one second. When the network works well, it might work fine, but TCP connections can take a highly variable amount of time to connect.

I'd try to build something that watches for UDP packets, but I don't know a common convenient commandline tool for that. netcat doesn't deal with packets in a way that lets you see them, and tries way too hard to be telnet...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

User defined signal 1

Hi, I am just running a incremental back-up on one of my server. But these days It abrubtly fails with below error. ========== User defined signal 1 =========== When I rerun the back-up, It completed successfully.Earlier this was not happening. Any Idea, what could be the problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitesh_raj
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp from user A in machine 1 to user B in machine 2

Hi all, would like to find out how can i scp a file from user A in one host to user B in another host? i know how to get it done if its from user A in machine 1 to user A in machine 2. 1)on machine 1, generate a key pair. put the private key in the .ssh directory. 2)put the public key in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send SIGNAL to the thread?

Hello, I have to send SIGSEGV to the thread. What is the simplest and efficient way to do that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulpict
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need more user signal

Hi In my program I have already used both SIGUSR1 SIGUSR2 user signals. I need another one. How can I do that? Thank you Naama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naamabm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed tricky problem

Hi, I have a file which contains two strings: AAAAA and BBBBB I have two variables in my script: DATE="03/21/2010" aDate="20100321" I need to replace string AAAAA with variable $DATE and BBBBB with $aDate. Here is what I do sed "s/AAAAA/$DATE/" $BASIC_TMPLT | sed "s/BBBBB/$aDate/" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axed
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send email with attachment and body : mailx , waiting for input , signal Control D

Hi, I am trying to send email with attacment and body using "mailx" (cat body.txt; uuencode attach.txt) | mailx -s "Attachment" abc@xyz.com When i type this command, the shell is still waiting for me to enter something in standard input and press control D before it sends a mail and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliaszero
2 Replies

7. Programming

how can i make that a process child send a signal?

I'm trying to do a program that makes activate an signal (SINGALARM) when the next child of a son appears but this not works. I have to caught the next child o the other (pid), to send a singnal which inform a menssage. It's anything worng in the code? thanks. the code: #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmaster
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send xterm to another machine

The scenario is like this: I don't have access permission to linux server A, but my colleague has. So I installed xwindow server (xming or cygwin), then gave him my ip address, then he sent xterm to my machine, the xterm already connected to A with his account. My question is how he did it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: humbug
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi : Is it possible to send ctrl + d signal from a file made with vi and executing it.

Hi Experts, Is it possible to send ctrl + d signal from a inside a file made with vi, using Ctrl V , Esc and 004 , escape sequence. Since : 004 should exit the script if executed. Is this something possible. I am trying with vi , I put this code ^ , and trying to execute it but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send ctrl-C signal using bash script.

declare -a array=( "LLC-load-misses" "LLC-loads" "LLC-store-misses" "LLC-stores" "branch-load-misses" "branch-loads" "dTLB-load-misses" "dTLB-loads" "dTLB-store-misses" "dTLB-stores" "iTLB-load-misses" "iTLB-loads" "branch-instructions" "branch-misses" "bus-cycles" "cache-misses" "cache-references"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BHASKAR JUPUDI
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)