Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tricky little problem, send signal to other machine without user Post 302478774 by declannalced on Thursday 9th of December 2010 12:24:43 AM
Old 12-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt
So why not have the script on the machine that actually runs it check on the first machine for the existence of a file. That way you don't have to push data, the second machine can pull the data. You only have to give the second machine permission to read files on your system.
Hmmm, that's not a bad idea. But I'd like a fast response time. Would it be hard to make it check about once a second?

That would work pretty well because I have a user on this machine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

User defined signal 1

Hi, I am just running a incremental back-up on one of my server. But these days It abrubtly fails with below error. ========== User defined signal 1 =========== When I rerun the back-up, It completed successfully.Earlier this was not happening. Any Idea, what could be the problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitesh_raj
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp from user A in machine 1 to user B in machine 2

Hi all, would like to find out how can i scp a file from user A in one host to user B in another host? i know how to get it done if its from user A in machine 1 to user A in machine 2. 1)on machine 1, generate a key pair. put the private key in the .ssh directory. 2)put the public key in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send SIGNAL to the thread?

Hello, I have to send SIGSEGV to the thread. What is the simplest and efficient way to do that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulpict
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need more user signal

Hi In my program I have already used both SIGUSR1 SIGUSR2 user signals. I need another one. How can I do that? Thank you Naama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naamabm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed tricky problem

Hi, I have a file which contains two strings: AAAAA and BBBBB I have two variables in my script: DATE="03/21/2010" aDate="20100321" I need to replace string AAAAA with variable $DATE and BBBBB with $aDate. Here is what I do sed "s/AAAAA/$DATE/" $BASIC_TMPLT | sed "s/BBBBB/$aDate/" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axed
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send email with attachment and body : mailx , waiting for input , signal Control D

Hi, I am trying to send email with attacment and body using "mailx" (cat body.txt; uuencode attach.txt) | mailx -s "Attachment" abc@xyz.com When i type this command, the shell is still waiting for me to enter something in standard input and press control D before it sends a mail and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliaszero
2 Replies

7. Programming

how can i make that a process child send a signal?

I'm trying to do a program that makes activate an signal (SINGALARM) when the next child of a son appears but this not works. I have to caught the next child o the other (pid), to send a singnal which inform a menssage. It's anything worng in the code? thanks. the code: #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmaster
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send xterm to another machine

The scenario is like this: I don't have access permission to linux server A, but my colleague has. So I installed xwindow server (xming or cygwin), then gave him my ip address, then he sent xterm to my machine, the xterm already connected to A with his account. My question is how he did it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: humbug
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi : Is it possible to send ctrl + d signal from a file made with vi and executing it.

Hi Experts, Is it possible to send ctrl + d signal from a inside a file made with vi, using Ctrl V , Esc and 004 , escape sequence. Since : 004 should exit the script if executed. Is this something possible. I am trying with vi , I put this code ^ , and trying to execute it but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send ctrl-C signal using bash script.

declare -a array=( "LLC-load-misses" "LLC-loads" "LLC-store-misses" "LLC-stores" "branch-load-misses" "branch-loads" "dTLB-load-misses" "dTLB-loads" "dTLB-store-misses" "dTLB-stores" "iTLB-load-misses" "iTLB-loads" "branch-instructions" "branch-misses" "bus-cycles" "cache-misses" "cache-references"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BHASKAR JUPUDI
2 Replies
dsh(1)							      Dancer Tools reference							    dsh(1)

NAME
dsh - Distributed shell, or dancer's shell SYNOPSIS
dsh [-m machinename | -a | -g groupname] [-r remoteshellname] [-c | -w | -i | -F forklimit ] -- commandline DESCRIPTION
dsh executes command remotely on several different machines at the same time. An utility to effectively do a for a in $(seq 1 10); do rsh $a command; done in bourne shell. OPTIONS
The options available are as follows. --verbose | -v Give verbose output of the execution process. --quiet | -q Makes output quieter. --machine | -m [machinename[,machinename]*] Adds machinename to the list of machines that the command is exeuted. The syntax of machinename allows username@machinename where remote shell is invoked with the option to make it of username. From version 0.21.4, it is possible to specify in the format of username@machinename,username@machinename,username@machinename so that multiple hosts can be specified with comma-delimited values. --all | -a Add all machines found in /etc/dsh/machines.list to the list of machines that the specified command is executed. --group groupname | -g groupname Add all machines found in /etc/dsh/group/groupname to the list of machines that the specified command is executed. If groupname is on the form @netgroup then the machines in the given netgroup is used to specify the list of machines to execute on. --file machinefile | -f machinefile Add all machines found in the specified file to the list of machines that the specified command is executed. The file should list one machine specification per line (with the same syntax as the machinename argument). Lines starting with "#" are ignored. From version 0.21.4, Specifying the same machine several times using any of the machine specification options will result in multi- ple invocations merged into one. --remoteshell shellname | -r shellname Execute remote shell shellname as the remote shell. Usually any of "rsh", "remsh" or "ssh" are available --remoteshellopt rshoption | -o rshoption Add one option rshoption to the list of options passed on to the remote shell. --help | -h Output help message and exits. --wait-shell | -w Executes on each machine and waits for the execution finishing before moving on to the next machine. --concurrent-shell | -c Executes shell concurrently. --show-machine-names | -M Prepends machine names on the standard output. Useful to be used in conjunction with the --concurrent-shell option so that the out- put is slightly more parsable. --hide-machine-names | -H Do not prepend machine names on the standard output. --duplicate-input | -i Duplicates the input to dsh process to individual process that are remotely invoked. Needs to have --concurrent-shell set. Due to limitations in current implementation, it is only useful for running shell. Terminate the shell session with ctrl-D. --bufsize | -b [buffer-size in bytes] Sets the buffer size used in replicating input for --duplicate-input option. --version | -V Outputs version information and exits. --num-topology | -N Changes the current topology from 1. 1 is the default behavior of spawning the shell from one node to every node. Changing the num- ber to a value greater than 2 would result in dsh being spawned on other machines as well. --forklimit | -F fork limit Similar to -c with a limit on the number of simultaneous connections. dsh will wait before creating new connection if the limit is reached. Useful when the number of nodes to be accessed is going somewhere above 200, and using -N option is not possible. EXIT STATUS
The first non-zero exit code of child processes is returned, or zero if none returned non-zero exit code. 1 if error is found in command-line specifications. 2 if signal is received from child processes. EXAMPLES
dsh -a w Shows list of users logged in on all workstations. dsh -r ssh -a -- w Shows list of users logged in on all workstations, and use ssh command to connect. (It should be of note that when using ssh, ssh- agent is handy.) dsh -r ssh -m node1 -m node2 -c -- 'echo $HOSTNAME $(cat/proc/loadavg )' Shows the load average of machines node1 and node2. FILES
/etc/dsh/machines.list | $(HOME)/.dsh/machines.list List of machine names to be used for when -a command-line option is specified. /etc/dsh/group/groupname | $(HOME)/.dsh/group/groupname List of machine names to be used for when -g groupname command-line option is specified. /etc/dsh/dsh.conf | $(HOME)/.dsh/dsh.conf Configuration file containing the day-to-day default. BUGS
There should be a dcp for copying files to remote systems. Configuration files should really be able to do something more than it does now. AUTHOR
Junichi Uekawa (dancer@debian.org) Upstream page is available at http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/dsh.html SEE ALSO
rsh(1), ssh(1), remsh(1), dsh.conf(5) Debian-Beowulf/Dancer 2007 Aug 15 dsh(1)