Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to see actual filename that File Descriptor is pointing to for a given processID? Post 302478770 by kchinnam on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 11:38:40 PM
Old 12-09-2010
Quote:
What is the problem you are trying to solve by investigating your processes open files ?
For a manual disaster recovery project[to a different data center], we are trying to understand the scope. \\
What if we take a full backup of disk used by running apps, while they are still running. \\
What are all the runtime files that might get affected. Just to have an idea, in case if stopping all apps \\
is not feasible due to downtime and other ill effects..

Last edited by kchinnam; 12-09-2010 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: formatting

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor

Hi What the below path contains? /proc/<pid>/fd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a user interface pointing to a file?

I have to create a user interface in which user can easily update ,delete or insert a new record which is pointing to a file in AIX Server? Using awk,sed ican update ,modify the file. how to create a link to userlike GUI(without using Tomcat,IIS) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open the file and replace the variable with actual value

Hi, i have a sql file named sample.sql. The query is given below. select count(*) from $TABLE_NAME In the main script, i am sourcing this sql. I need to replace the $TABLE_NAME with actual value, before running the query. How can i achieve that? The logic i tried is given below:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathappriyan
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unlink and copy actual file

Hello, I have a set of directories, which has inside them, symbolic links to some files. What i would like to do is to covert the links into actual files, i.e. remove the link and copy the actual file here... I tried to see unlink command but i think all it does is delete the link, is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting with file descriptor

hello, Someone can help me with redirectors? I am writing this script in bash enviroment on Fedora: exec 4<> /dev/tcp/10.10.11.30/5000 #open socket in input/output strings<&4 >file.txt & I send file descriptor 4 to string command to purge data stream from special char while come from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rattoeur
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Actual SQL instead of using a file from within a shell script

I am very noobish to UNIX, our guy is on vacation so I am trying to take up some slack while he is away. Typically when we use sql from within a shell script, we do so from a file containing the sql. Example: $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus $ORA_DBCU/$ORA_DBCP @${cron_dir}/${report_file}.sql ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: biobill
10 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)