Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trim and pad a field in the middle of unix file Post 302478590 by BSF on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 10:09:56 AM
Old 12-08-2010
Thanks! I managed to do it the following way using awk

awk '{str1=substr($0,1,5);str2=substr($0,6,10);str3=substr($0,16,length $0);
gsub(/ /,"",str2);gsub(/-/,"",str2);printf str1;printf("%-10s",str2);printf str3 "\n"}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trim the leading zeroes in a Currency field ?

How do I trim the leading zeroes, and (+,-) in the currency field ? I have a text file. Your bill of +00002780.96 for a/c no. 25287324 is due on 11-06. Your bill of +00422270.48 for a/c no. 28931373 is due on 11-06. I want the O/P file to be like. Your bill of 2780.96 for a/c no. 25287324... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
22 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trim a 419th column in UNIX file.

Hi All, I have a UNIX file, which has Total of 532 column, each delimited with ^~^. One of the column (419) is 202 character long. In real case, it should be 22 character long. cut -d~ -f419 filename ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim leading zeros to make field 6 characters long

Hi all- I've got a file that will have multiple columns. In one column there will be a string that is 10 digits in length, but I need to trim the first four zeros to make it 6 characters? example: 0000001234 0000123456 0000234566 0000000321 output: 001234 123456 234566 000321 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To trim Certain field in a line of a file and replace the new string in that position

To trim 3rd field in for all the lines of a file and replace the modified string in that particular field. For example i have a file called Temp.txt having content Temp.txt ----------------- 100,234,M1234 400,234,K1734 300,345,T3456 ---------------- So the modified file output should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpadhi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File - Adding columns in the middle

Hello, I have a comma separated flat file. It contains some 20 columns. I want to add two new columns at position 2,3. So that file will have 22 columns. I am providing here sample data with file having 4 columns. Appreciate your help in finding solution for this. data in input file:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pad zeroes first field in a Delimited file

Need help. I tried using an awk command to pad zeroes. Unfortunately, the "|" pipe delimited character is gone when I tried to write the records to another file. awk -F \| ' {$1=sprintf("%06s", $1); print $0}' $CUSTFINAL2 > $CUSTFINAL3 BEFORE "KEYRECORD"|"SA ID"|"PER ID"|"SP ID"|"ACCT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnhips
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in unix for variable

HI Guys I have written a script using awk to split a file based on some identifier and renaming the file based on two values from specific length. ts a fixed width file. When I am trying to fetch the values a = substr($0,11,10) b = substr($0,21,5); i am getting spaces in a and b values .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - trim white space from a field / variable

Hi, Consider the data (FS = |): 1| England |end 2| New Zealand |end 3|Australia|end 4| Some Made Up Country |end 5| West Indies|end I want the output to be (i.e. without the leading and trailing white space from $2) England New Zealand Australia Some Made Up Country West... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Storms
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Views How to replace a CRLF char from a variable length file in the middle of a string in UNIX?

My sample file is variable length, with out any field delimiters. It has min of 18 chars length and the 'CRLF' is potentially between 12-14 chars. How do I replace this with a space? I still want to keep end of record, but just want to remove these new lines chars in the middle of the data. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrath
7 Replies
STRCSPN(3)								 1								STRCSPN(3)

strcspn - Find length of initial segment not matching mask

SYNOPSIS
int strcspn (string $str1, string $str2, [int $start], [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the length of the initial segment of $str1 which does not contain any of the characters in $str2. PARAMETERS
o $str1 - The first string. o $str2 - The second string. o $start - The start position of the string to examine. o $length - The length of the string to examine. RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the segment as an integer. EXAMPLES
Example #1 strcspn(3) example <?php $a = strcspn('abcd', 'apple'); $b = strcspn('abcd', 'banana'); $c = strcspn('hello', 'l'); $d = strcspn('hello', 'world'); var_dump($a); var_dump($b); var_dump($c); var_dump($d); ?> The above example will output: int(0) int(0) int(2) int(2) NOTES
Note This function is binary-safe. SEE ALSO
strspn(3). PHP Documentation Group STRCSPN(3)