Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a help to automate a task Post 302478544 by DGPickett on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 08:14:54 AM
Old 12-08-2010
When doing more complex remote things, often you need to dot an environment script on the remote end so that shell is as capable as a login. A .profile that segregates all tty related stuff at the end in an if is the best way to do this.

If you don't want to distribute a remote script to each, something like this is easily tested and predictable for big command sets:
Code:
(
echo '. ./.profile
<commands to generate more commands>
)|ssh user@rem_host ksh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process vs task

Hi, I am new to this forum and unix too. I have just started learning unix. As I was going through the first chapter, I read that unix is multitasking, multiprogramming, multiprocessing and multiuser OS. My question is: Is there any difference between a TASK and a PROCESS. How are PROCESS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hana
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a manual task

I have an ASCII file that I receive on a monthly bases that is fixed length. I break the file into separate files based on a 5 character numerical sequence. I have 20 different sequences I have to find. the input file looks something like this xy-ins 2008yuthnrlsinrthsntwilgrha33260001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcalisi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script that can Automate Printer adding task in HP-UX servers

I want to make a script to automate printer adding task.My inputs are like Printer name : xyz Port number :9001 I should write a script to make the Printer adding task will be automated. Like in manually adding task we are doing through hppi or jetadmin tools. ---------- Post updated at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnilKPatnaik
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

task

Hi all, I'm newbie and stuck here. Thanks for any help. Input(txt file) a b X c d Y e f Z g h W Requested output: a b X Y c d Y X e f Z W g h W Z Please use code tags when posting data and code samples! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Task

Hi experts, I have a problem with the below shell task: I need to modify the file creatin a paired row , per each row which matches filter (e.g. number of nonempty columns = 5) Output should look like this: second row is original one from the input, first row(red) is pairing row, it's... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
29 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallelize a task that have for

Dear all, I'm a newbie in programming and I would like to know if it is possible to parallelize the script: for l in {1..1000} do cut -f$l quase2 |tr "\n" "," |sed 's/$/\ /g' |sed '/^$/d' >a_$l.t done I tried: for l in {1..1000} do cut -f$l quase2 |tr "\n" "," |sed 's/$/\ /g' |sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with an easy task

Hello everyone my name is Telis and i just registered in this forum.. i just started programming in linux shell and i need help with this easy task.. this is my code #!/bin/sh echo "What is your First name?" read name if ; then echo "Hello Master." else echo "Who are you?" fi when i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Telis
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate a task

Dear All, I am relatively new to UNIX and wanted to accomplish a simple task which should be automated. That's why I need your help. I shall briefly describe what I want. Basically, there is a process (X) (related to a particular software which I am using in my system) which automatically... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samiran Dam
5 Replies
PSI(1)                                                             User Commands                                                            PSI(1)

NAME
Psi - jabber client SYNOPSIS
psi [--profile=PROFILE] [--remote|--choose-profile] DESCRIPTION
[--status=STATUS [--status-message=MSG]] [--uri=URI] Psi - The Cross-Platform Jabber/XMPP Client For Power Users OPTIONS
--choose-profile Display Choose Profile dialog on startup. Cannot be used together with --remote. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. --profile=PROFILE Activate program instance running specified profile. Otherwise, open new instance using this profile (unless used together with --remote). --remote Force remote-control mode. If there is no running instance, or --profile was specified but there is no instance using it, exit with- out doing anything. Cannot be used with --choose-profile. --status=STATUS Set status. STATUS must be one of `online', `chat', `away', `xa', `dnd', `offline'. --status-message=MSG Set status message. Must be used together with --status. --uri=URI Open XMPP URI. (e.g. xmpp:someone@example.org?chat) For security reasons, this must be the last option. -v, --version Show version information and exit. SEE ALSO
Go to <http://psi-im.org/> for more information about Psi. Psi 0.14 January 2012 PSI(1)