Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Where do I find my mac that is connected via Firewire in Terminal application? Post 302478391 by Straitsfan on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 10:09:01 PM
Old 12-07-2010
Where do I find my mac that is connected via Firewire in Terminal application?

I have my iMac and MB pro connected by firewire. I can see the connection in the finderwindow, but can't locate the machines in terminal. Can someone help me? I do most of my work in Terminal and would like to move/copy files from one machine to another like that -- I could have sworn I was able to do it before with my MB Pro and my other iMac. Please help! I think I'm maybe not setting something I should be.

Also, it seems that whenever I connect to my firewire machine from the finder window (using 'connect as' and typing in the username and password,) I lose the connection when I switch to another window and I'm back to being connected as a 'guest', What's going on and how do I maintain that connection?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

New to Mac OS X Terminal

Hi everyone. I'm new to using the Terminal and was just wondering if anyone had a link to perhaps a list of commands. And tips on some useful websites to visit or books to read. Oh and is there a way to delete just part of the Terminal's history? If so what is the command? Thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xsemperidem5
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

application to be run on machines connected in same network

I have a set up of 5 machines which are connected in same network. Now i want to run a small application so that those machines are not ideal. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to find the IP address of a computer that I am connected to?

Hi all, One of my computers (an iMac) was recently stolen, but I have been able to connect to it over the internet through Apple's 'back to my mac' feature. In order for the police to find these people they need to know the IP address of the stolen computer. I suspect that I will have find the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJFoulston
6 Replies

4. Programming

Redirecting Terminal to Local Application!

i wanted to execute some terminal commands on local linux, parse their output and display it to the user, i checked netcat source code but i couldnt understance it since im new to c (and linux at the same time). so i was wondering if there is away to run an instance of terminal hidden, read and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonhyM
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pbpaste to application in terminal

Is it possible to execute a pbpaste command to an application or current application in focus? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhill2
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

How to see connected macs through terminal?

Been a while since I've been here; I have my iMac and MBpro connected via firewire, and they can see each other when I open the finder windows. But I'd like to be able to 'see' each computer on the other via the terminal application; and I can't see them right now. I can transfer files via the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
0 Replies

7. Open Source

The Terminal on Mac OS X

Does anyone know the differences in commands when it come to Linux and Mac OS X? I'm wanting to know if I use "this" command in Linux and It doesn't work in Mac then what command is equivalent to the one in Linux. Example Ctrl+Alt+f2 switches to (tty2) so what equivalent switches to ttys2 on Mac? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1negroup
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies
FIREWIRE(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       FIREWIRE(4)

NAME
firewire -- IEEE1394 High-performance Serial Bus SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device firewire Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): firewire_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
FreeBSD provides machine-independent bus support and raw drivers for firewire interfaces. The firewire driver consists of two layers: the controller and the bus layer. The controller attaches to a physical bus (like pci(4)). The firewire bus attaches to the controller. Additional drivers can be attached to the bus. Up to 63 devices, including the host itself, can be attached to a firewire bus. The root node is dynamically assigned with a PHY device function. Also, the other firewire bus specific parameters, e.g., node ID, cycle master, isochronous resource manager and bus manager, are dynamically assigned, after bus reset is initiated. On the firewire bus, every device is identified by an EUI 64 address. FILES
/dev/fw0.0 /dev/fwmem0.0 SEE ALSO
fwe(4), fwip(4), fwohci(4), pci(4), sbp(4), eui64(5), fwcontrol(8), kldload(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The firewire driver first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
The firewire driver was written by Katsushi Kobayashi and Hidetoshi Shimokawa for the FreeBSD project. BUGS
See fwohci(4) for security notes. BSD
April 1, 2006 BSD