Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix File - Adding columns in the middle Post 302478271 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 01:17:21 PM
Old 12-07-2010
put
Code:
key, value
key1,10
key2,20
key3,30

in a file called "in3" and give a try with what i suggest in post #2 and see if the generated output fits your needs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding columns to a file

I want to select the first column from a daily file called foo.csv. The result is written to file foo.txt. Currently the following script is used for that: cut -d, -f 1 foo.csv > foo.txt A typical result would yield : A12 A45 B11 B67 What needs to happen in addition is that two columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help for Adding Three new columns in existing file from fatching data from file

not required this time (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
36 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding lines and columns to a file

Hi everybody, I've got two simples file1 like: aaa aaa aaa bbb bbb bbb ccc ccc ccc and file2 like: 111 111 111 222 222 222 333 333 333 I need to: 1) add a line say "new line" as the first line of the file 2)add a column from file2 (say column3) to file1; the new column should... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To Middle Of File

Hi I am trying to write a bash script to add a line of text to the middle of a file. The way I worked it out was to calculate the number of lines and divide by 2. The file I am using is called newfile and it just contains lines of data. The new file I have created I have called midfile and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BundBash
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions for adding columns to text file

Good afternoon to everyone, I have some input and output from various widgets that I am trying to get to play nicely together. Basically I would like to stay out of excel and be able to automate the entire process. I have read some posts here about how to use awk, nawk, etc, to do similar... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column in a file with other existing columns

Hi All , Kindly help me with this soln awk '{printf "%s %7s \n", $1,$c}' infile where value of variable c I am externally giving input But executing the above command shows all the columns of infile where as I want only 1st column of infile and 2nd column should print value c (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim and pad a field in the middle of unix file

Hello, I have a file with several lines and I need to trim and pad with spaces the data that are between position 6 and 15 included. Data in position 1 to 5 and after 15 could be anything, and should stay as they are. For instance, the following records in a file (underscore = space)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSF
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl - adding columns to file

I have a file in which I need to add more columns to based on a key in the first file: File1 key1,abc,123, key2,def,456, key3,ghi,789, File2 key2,zyx,111,qqq, key3,yuu,222,www, key1,pui,333,eee, key4,xxx,999,rrr, I would like to create the following output: Output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing all the values in the middle of two columns

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file with three columns: Input: 1 25734 25737 1 32719 32724 1 59339 59342 1 59512 59513 1 621740 621745 For each row of the text file I want to print out all the values between the second and third columns, including them. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new column in the middle

Hi , I need to add few new columns in existing file .Any help would be great ex: existing file name,typ,add,dept New file(com1,sal are new) name,com1,type,sal,add,dept Thanks, mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies
Data::OptList(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Data::OptList(3pm)

NAME
Data::OptList - parse and validate simple name/value option pairs VERSION
version 0.107 SYNOPSIS
use Data::OptList; my $options = Data::OptList::mkopt([ qw(key1 key2 key3 key4), key5 => { ... }, key6 => [ ... ], key7 => sub { ... }, key8 => { ... }, key8 => [ ... ], ]); ...is the same thing, more or less, as: my $options = [ [ key1 => undef, ], [ key2 => undef, ], [ key3 => undef, ], [ key4 => undef, ], [ key5 => { ... }, ], [ key6 => [ ... ], ], [ key7 => sub { ... }, ], [ key8 => { ... }, ], [ key8 => [ ... ], ], ]); DESCRIPTION
Hashes are great for storing named data, but if you want more than one entry for a name, you have to use a list of pairs. Even then, this is really boring to write: $values = [ foo => undef, bar => undef, baz => undef, xyz => { ... }, ]; Just look at all those undefs! Don't worry, we can get rid of those: $values = [ map { $_ => undef } qw(foo bar baz), xyz => { ... }, ]; Aaaauuugh! We've saved a little typing, but now it requires thought to read, and thinking is even worse than typing... and it's got a bug! It looked right, didn't it? Well, the "xyz => { ... }" gets consumed by the map, and we don't get the data we wanted. With Data::OptList, you can do this instead: $values = Data::OptList::mkopt([ qw(foo bar baz), xyz => { ... }, ]); This works by assuming that any defined scalar is a name and any reference following a name is its value. FUNCTIONS
mkopt my $opt_list = Data::OptList::mkopt($input, \%arg); Valid arguments are: moniker - a word used in errors to describe the opt list; encouraged require_unique - if true, no name may appear more than once must_be - types to which opt list values are limited (described below) name_test - a coderef used to test whether a value can be a name (described below, but you probably don't want this) This produces an array of arrays; the inner arrays are name/value pairs. Values will be either "undef" or a reference. Positional parameters may be used for compatibility with the old "mkopt" interface: my $opt_list = Data::OptList::mkopt($input, $moniker, $req_uni, $must_be); Valid values for $input: undef -> [] hashref -> [ [ key1 => value1 ] ... ] # non-ref values become undef arrayref -> every name followed by a non-name becomes a pair: [ name => ref ] every name followed by undef becomes a pair: [ name => undef ] otherwise, it becomes [ name => undef ] like so: [ "a", "b", [ 1, 2 ] ] -> [ [ a => undef ], [ b => [ 1, 2 ] ] ] By default, a name is any defined non-reference. The "name_test" parameter can be a code ref that tests whether the argument passed it is a name or not. This should be used rarely. Interactions between "require_unique" and "name_test" are not yet particularly elegant, as "require_unique" just tests string equality. This may change. The "must_be" parameter is either a scalar or array of scalars; it defines what kind(s) of refs may be values. If an invalid value is found, an exception is thrown. If no value is passed for this argument, any reference is valid. If "must_be" specifies that values must be CODE, HASH, ARRAY, or SCALAR, then Params::Util is used to check whether the given value can provide that interface. Otherwise, it checks that the given value is an object of the kind. In other words: [ qw(SCALAR HASH Object::Known) ] Means: _SCALAR0($value) or _HASH($value) or _INSTANCE($value, 'Object::Known') mkopt_hash my $opt_hash = Data::OptList::mkopt_hash($input, $moniker, $must_be); Given valid "mkopt" input, this routine returns a reference to a hash. It will throw an exception if any name has more than one value. EXPORTS
Both "mkopt" and "mkopt_hash" may be exported on request. AUTHOR
Ricardo Signes <rjbs@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2006 by Ricardo Signes. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.12.3 2011-05-12 Data::OptList(3pm)