Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Update a field in a file based on condition Post 302478261 by DGPickett on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 12:57:10 PM
Old 12-07-2010
In sh one says FLAG=1 ?

Updating a field in a file is pretty hard in sh. You can make a new file beside or in place of the original, or append.

The df command will do specific dirs without a grep.

I hope the first line leading space is a pasting typo.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Awk finding and replacing a field based on a condition

Hi everybody, I'm trying to replace the $98 field with "T" if the last field (108th) is T I've tried awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS="|"} {if ($108=="T")sub($98,"T"); print}' test.txt but that doesn't do anything also tried awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS="|"}{ /*T.$/ sub($98,"T")} { print}' test.txt but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jghi123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field file based on match

If $1 in file1 matches $2 in file2. Then the value in $2 of file2 is updated to $1"."$2 of file2. The awk seems to only match the two files but not update. Thank you :). awk awk 'NR==FNR{A ; next} $1 in A { $2 = a }1' file1 file2 file1 name version NM_000593 5 NM_001257406... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field in file based of match in another

I am trying to use awk to match two files that are tab-delimited. When a match is found between file1 $1 and file2 $4, $4 in file2 is updated using the $2 value in file1. If no match is found then the next line is processed. Thank you :). file1 uc001bwr.3 ADC uc001bws.3 ADC... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update value in field based on another field

In the tab-delimeted input file below I am trying to use awk to update the value in $2 if TYPE=ins in bold, by adding the value of HRUN= in italics. In the below since in line 1 TYPE=ins the 117282541 value in $2 has 6 added because that is the value of HRUN=. Hopefully the awk is a start but I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to update field in file based of match to another file

In the perl below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 (last field) in file2, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to update field based on a specific set of rules

In the perl below, which does execute, I am having trouble with the else in Rule 3. The digit in f{8} is extracted and used to update f accordinly along with the value in f. There can be either - * or + before the number that is extracted but the same logic applies, that is if the value is greater... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a specific field in file with Variable value based on other Key Word

I have an input file with A=xyz B=pqr I would want the value in Second Field (xyz or pqr) updated with a value present in Shell Variable based on the value passed in the first field. (A or B ) while read line do NEW_VALUE = `some functionality done on $line` If $line=First Field-... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Change the field color based on condition in email

Request your help to change the field color based on condition , if it is otherthan 0. using html in unix. Here is my condition for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { print "<td> "$i"</td> } Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, output, and code segments. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: CatchMe
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with getting awk to multiply a field by a value set based on condition of another field

Hi, So awk is driving me crazy on this one. I have searched everywhere and read man, docs and every related post Google can find and still no luck. The actual files I need to run this on are sensitive in nature, but it is the same thing as if I needed to calculate weighted grades for multiple... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cotilloe
15 Replies
Net::Google::Code::AtomParser(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Net::Google::Code::AtomParser(3pm)

NAME
Net::Google::Code::AtomParser - AtomParser with a parsing method for gcode DESCRIPTION
INTERFACE
new parse( $xml_content ) return( $feed, $entries ), $feed is a hashref like { 'title' => 'Issue updates for project net-google-code on Google Code', 'id' => 'http://code.google.com/feeds/p/net-google-code/issueupdates/basic', 'updated' => '2009-06-12T05:55:48Z' } $entries is an arrayref like [ { 'content' => '<pre>second comment </pre> ', 'name' => 'sunnavy', 'title' => 'Update 2 to issue 22 ("for sd test")', 'id' => 'http://code.google.com/feeds/p/net-google-code/issueupdates/basic/22/2', 'updated' => '2009-06-12T05:55:48Z' }, { 'content' => '<pre>first comment </pre> ', 'name' => 'sunnavy', 'title' => 'Update 1 to issue 22 ("for sd test")', 'id' => 'http://code.google.com/feeds/p/net-google-code/issueupdates/basic/22/1', 'updated' => '2009-06-12T05:55:22Z' }, ] AUTHOR
sunnavy "<sunnavy@bestpractical.com>" LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2008-2010 Best Practical Solutions. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-01-29 Net::Google::Code::AtomParser(3pm)