Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove Blank Rows
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove Blank Rows Post 302478135 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 08:35:48 AM
Old 12-07-2010
If non of these work, perhaps there is something invisible on those lines. Run them through od -c to check. Perhaps a CR return character, because the file originated from a Windows platform?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

finding & replacing blank rows/spaces in a file

Can anyone help me find and replace blank rows in a file with a numeric value (ie blankrow=someTxtOrNumValue), the file is over 500,000 rows long so it would need to be the quickest way as I'll need to do this for multiple files...I would be greatfull for any suggestions....thanks sample file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines

¿How can i remove blank lines between all lines in a long text file? Example WrongFile.txt : Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 CorrectFile.txt : Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Thanks in advance :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete blank rows in a log file

Help How to delete all blank rows in log file (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 1st two rows and last 2 rows

Hi All, I need to remove 1st 2 line from head and last 2 line from last. I thought it would be possible by using the Head and tail command. But after i am using it is not possible by it. Example:Input file 1 2 3 4 5 Example: Output file 3 But my head and tail command are not... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam786sim
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove Blank rows in a csv file

Hi, I need help to remove blank rows at the end of file. Sample data: "Oslo, Symra kino",Oslo,130-7,Symra 1,130-7-91 "Tønsberg, Brygga Kino SF",Tønsberg,202-1,Tønsberg SF 4,202-1-4 ,,,, ,,,, ,,,, ,,,, Expected data: "Oslo, Symra kino",Oslo,130-7,Symra 1,130-7-91 "Tønsberg, Brygga... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove blank lines

Hi, I am facing a problem related to removing blank lines from a text document. Input Error 17-05-2011 11:01:15 VisualSVN Server 2.1 1001 The following information was included with the event: line3 line4 Error 17-05-2011 11:00:25 VisualSVN Server 2.1 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayursingru
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying down first row in to all the below blank rows in a .csv file

Hi All, I have many of files(.csv) of the format given below. Date,Name,Location 04/02/2012,A,India ,B,China ,C,USA Like this I have 1000's of rows and many columns in all my files. I need a shell script to copy down the Date(in this example column1) to the next 2 rows below(in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : blank lines are displayed in the output after deleting few rows from excel

I am working on an assignment to pull all the records from excel sheet programatically and use the data for further calculations. In this process, I first defined 10 records in excel sheet and executed the below code. In the first run it is OK. But after deleting last few rows in excel sheet and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove a selection of rows separated by blank lines

hello, here is an example: 9.07 9.05 0.00 2.28 0.00 0.08 1.93 3.62 10.97 12.03 12.03 0.00 2.73 0.00 0.07 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baron1
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting columns of text to rows, with blank lines

I've spent the past hour trying different things and googling for this solution and cannot find the answer. Found variations of this, but not this exact thing. I have the following text, which is the output from our mainframe. Each field is on a separate line, with a blank line between each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
7 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)