Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: not able to run ifconfig
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting not able to run ifconfig Post 302478054 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 04:22:35 AM
Old 12-07-2010
locate the ifconfig command (should be in /sbin )
do you have full access (are you root ) ?

Code:
find / -type f -name "ifconfig"

and add the found path into yours

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I have to cd into /sbin to get to ifconfig?

I have to cd into /sbin in order to use ifconfig to check out my network cards. This has only started to happen since I downloaded the last update from RedHat(The machine runs RedHat 8.0). Does anyone know what happened? More importantly, are there any sources that can help me with this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jody
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX ifconfig question.

This will most likely be a real dumb question for a HP-UX admin, but here it goes anyhow. lan0 - is up and configured lan1 - is down, I want to bring it up. lanconfig....ifconfig is there a difference? My real question is, in solaris there is an /etc/hostname."?" file, is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viRaven
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig

I am trying to change an IP address on a machine running HPUX10 After I change it I can ping it from the outside but it completely locks the console. After a reboot it returns back to its previous IP. Any ideas?? Thanks Brian (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
7 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

ifconfig

Hi, I type (as root) "ifconfig en1 ether aa:aa: " but it doesnt change the mac of my airport. Can anyone help me? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ifconfig!!!!

why the ifconfig command is not working in my machine? it says "-bash: ifconfig: command not found" why its says that? actually i m looking for "how can I know the Network Interface Card physical address?" Requesting u all for help. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moco
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig and ipconfig

hey, I know that ifconfig on linux systems is identical to win ipconfig. I wanted to know if there is a linux distribution (new or old) that uses the ipconfig command. thanks alot :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsmotix
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

/etc/hosts changes when ifconfig......

Hello everyone. Im using last redhat enterprise edition and in my working environment, i'm always reconfiguring both interfaces , eth0 and eth1, everytime i change any interface, (i use ifconfig to change ip, and after i execute "/etc/init.d/network restart") my "/etc/hosts" file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
9 Replies

8. IP Networking

ifconfig problem

Hi all, I am getting some error messages during bootup ifconfig :<hostname> bad address and some more messages related to it. I some how checked the /etc/hostanem.hme0 /etc/hosts file. Entries in these files were proper. If I am running the following command from root: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_sapre
5 Replies

9. Linux

ifconfig - information

Hi All, I need some info on ifconfig. ifconfig is available in Linux and Solaris. However the options available in Solaris is not there in Linux. 1. ifconfig -a == output is different in both OS. I am somewhat able to compare the output. But one thing I am not getting is after the flags... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Ifconfig command ?

What would be the command to remove the IP address from an interface? I want to remove the ip from this interface: ce3: flags=1000803<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 5 inet 155.216.13.74 netmask fffffff0 broadcast 155.216.13.79 ether 0:3:ba:da:a6:96 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
3 Replies
SU(1)								   User Commands							     SU(1)

NAME
su - run a command with substitute user and group ID SYNOPSIS
su [options...] [-] [user [args...]] DESCRIPTION
su allows to run commands with substitute user and group ID. When called without arguments su defaults to running an interactive shell as root. For backward compatibility su defaults to not change the current directory and to only set the environment variables HOME and SHELL (plus USER and LOGNAME if the target user is not root). It is recommended to always use the --login option (instead it's shortcut -) to avoid side effects caused by mixing environments. This version of su uses PAM for authentication, account and session management. Some configuration options found in other su implementa- tions such as e.g. support of a wheel group have to be configured via PAM. OPTIONS
-c command, --command=command Pass command to the shell with the -c option. --session-command=command Same as -c but do not create a new session (discouraged). -f, --fast Pass -f to the shell which may or may not be useful depending on the shell. -g, --group=group specify the primary group, this option is allowed for root user only -G, --supp-group=group specify a supplemental group, this option is allowed for root user only -, -l, --login Starts the shell as login shell with an environment similar to a real login: o clears all environment variables except for TERM o initializes the environment variables HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, PATH o changes to the target user's home directory o sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the shell a login shell -m, -p, --preserve-environment Preserves the whole environment, ie does not set HOME, SHELL, USER nor LOGNAME. The option is ignored if the option --login is specified. -s SHELL, --shell=SHELL Runs the specified shell instead of the default. The shell to run is selected according to the following rules in order: o the shell specified with --shell o The shell specified in the environment variable SHELL if the --preserve-environment option is used. o the shell listed in the passwd entry of the target user o /bin/sh If the target user has a restricted shell (i.e. not listed in /etc/shells) the --shell option and the SHELL environment variables are ignored unless the calling user is root. --help Display help text and exit. --version Display version information and exit. CONFIG FILES
su reads the /etc/default/su and /etc/login.defs configuration files. The following configuration items are relevant for su(1): FAIL_DELAY (number) Delay in seconds in case of authentication failure. Number must be a non-negative integer. ENV_PATH (string) Defines the PATH environment variable for a regular user. The default value is /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin. ENV_ROOTPATH (string) ENV_SUPATH (string) Defines the PATH environment variable for root. The default value is /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin. ALWAYS_SET_PATH (boolean) If set to yes and --login and --preserve-environment were not specified su initializes PATH. EXIT STATUS
su normally returns the exit status of the command it executed. If the command was killed by a signal, su returns the number of the signal plus 128. Exit status generated by su itself: 1 Generic error before executing the requested command 126 The requested command could not be executed 127 The requested command could was not found FILES
/etc/pam.d/su default PAM configuration file /etc/pam.d/su-l PAM configuration file if --login is specified /etc/default/su command specific logindef config file /etc/login.defs global logindef config file SEE ALSO
runuser(8), pam(8), shells(5), login.defs(5) AUTHOR
Derived from coreutils' su which was based on an implementation from David MacKenzie. AVAILABILITY
The su command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux June 2012 SU(1)