Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Update a field in a file based on condition Post 302478049 by kichu on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 04:14:20 AM
Old 12-07-2010
Update a field in a file based on condition

Hi

i am new to scripting. i have a file file.dat with content as :

Code:

CONTENT_STORAGE PERCENTAGE FLAG:
/storage_01 64% 0
/storage_02 17% 1

I need to update the value of FLAG for a particular CONTENT_STORAGE value

I have written the following code
Code:

#!/bin/sh
threshold=20
alert="threshold"
#Get default file store 
defaultStorage1=DEFAULT_STORE 
#DEFAULT_STORE is obtained as storage_01 from database table

echo "file reading"
{

while read CONTENT_STORAGE PERCENTAGE FLAG
do

#Code for reading through lines and ignoring all until CONTENT_STORAGE is found

# Ignore all lines until content storage namematches the name given 
    if [[ ${CONTENT_STORAGE} != $defaultStorage1 ]]; then
 echo "here"
        continue
    fi   
echo "CONTENT_STORAGE = ${CONTENT_STORAGE} / PERCENTAGE = ${PERCENTAGE} / FLAG = ${FLAG}" 
done < file.dat 
}
echo "Getting the percentage og $defaultStorage1 *********************"
#check the percentage stored in defaultStorage
df -H | grep $defaultStorage1 | awk '{ print $4 " " $5}' | while read output;
do 
  #Get the used percentage
  usep=$(echo $output | awk '{ print $1}' | cut -d'%' -f1)
 echo "used percentage .................. $usep"
# Check if the used percentage is > threshold_value. Do nothing till its > threshold
   if [ $(($usep)) -le $(($threshold)) ]; then
 echo "Used percentage of $defaultStorage1 ................. $(($usep))"
       continue

else 

echo "Used percentage is greater than threshold"

# Ignore all lines until content storage namematches the name given 
    if [[ ${CONTENT_STORAGE} != $defaultStorage1 ]]; then
        continue
    else
       $FLAG = 1  
#i am trying to update the FLAG field in here. But not happening. Also while creating the tmp file file.mp and rewriting to file.dat, the headings are ignored. i want to just modify the FLAG value for /storage1 to 1
    fi 
    echo $CONTENT_STORAGE $PERCENTAGE $FLAG >> file.tmp
  done < file.dat  
mv file.tmp file.dat
   # check the percentage of each other filestore with flag =0
   #get the least used filestore
   #update the default store

fi

done

Thanks for all the help in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Awk finding and replacing a field based on a condition

Hi everybody, I'm trying to replace the $98 field with "T" if the last field (108th) is T I've tried awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS="|"} {if ($108=="T")sub($98,"T"); print}' test.txt but that doesn't do anything also tried awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS="|"}{ /*T.$/ sub($98,"T")} { print}' test.txt but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jghi123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field file based on match

If $1 in file1 matches $2 in file2. Then the value in $2 of file2 is updated to $1"."$2 of file2. The awk seems to only match the two files but not update. Thank you :). awk awk 'NR==FNR{A ; next} $1 in A { $2 = a }1' file1 file2 file1 name version NM_000593 5 NM_001257406... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field in file based of match in another

I am trying to use awk to match two files that are tab-delimited. When a match is found between file1 $1 and file2 $4, $4 in file2 is updated using the $2 value in file1. If no match is found then the next line is processed. Thank you :). file1 uc001bwr.3 ADC uc001bws.3 ADC... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update value in field based on another field

In the tab-delimeted input file below I am trying to use awk to update the value in $2 if TYPE=ins in bold, by adding the value of HRUN= in italics. In the below since in line 1 TYPE=ins the 117282541 value in $2 has 6 added because that is the value of HRUN=. Hopefully the awk is a start but I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to update field in file based of match to another file

In the perl below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 (last field) in file2, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to update field based on a specific set of rules

In the perl below, which does execute, I am having trouble with the else in Rule 3. The digit in f{8} is extracted and used to update f accordinly along with the value in f. There can be either - * or + before the number that is extracted but the same logic applies, that is if the value is greater... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a specific field in file with Variable value based on other Key Word

I have an input file with A=xyz B=pqr I would want the value in Second Field (xyz or pqr) updated with a value present in Shell Variable based on the value passed in the first field. (A or B ) while read line do NEW_VALUE = `some functionality done on $line` If $line=First Field-... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Change the field color based on condition in email

Request your help to change the field color based on condition , if it is otherthan 0. using html in unix. Here is my condition for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) { print "<td> "$i"</td> } Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, output, and code segments. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: CatchMe
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with getting awk to multiply a field by a value set based on condition of another field

Hi, So awk is driving me crazy on this one. I have searched everywhere and read man, docs and every related post Google can find and still no luck. The actual files I need to run this on are sensitive in nature, but it is the same thing as if I needed to calculate weighted grades for multiple... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cotilloe
15 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)