Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Using ufsrestore from a DAT tape of ufsdump backup Post 302477965 by frank_rizzo on Monday 6th of December 2010 10:46:52 PM
Old 12-06-2010
Start by reading the documention. once you understand how it works and what needs to be done you should test, test, and re-test. check out flash archives - it can greatly simplify the restore process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to ufsdump to a file instead of a tape device?

Eh... what the title says. :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: PSC
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UFSDUMP & UFSRESTORE problems

Hi, guys ! I need some expert help on following problem: When trying to restore content of a machine using another backup machine using Ufsdump/Ufsrestore, it worked on /local1, but when attemting to do the same on /local2,/local3 and /local4, I get permission problems. Running superuser does... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
9 Replies

3. Solaris

appending a ufsdump tape

I have a level 3 (weekly) ufsdump on a DLT 4700 that is only 239MB in total for the 3 weeks that the tape is loaded. On the 4th week, I remove the tape and insert another tape to do a level 0 (monthly) dump. Question is: What is the command to append more level 3 dumps if I reinsert the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsdump/ufsrestore problem

I ran ufsdump as follows............... # ufsdump 9ucf /dev/rmt/0n /dev/dsk/c1t9d0s3 DUMP: Writing 63 Kilobyte records DUMP: Date of this level 9 dump: Tue 23 Oct 2007 02:19:40 PM PDT DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c1t9d0s3 (gambler:/apps) to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Using ufsdump and ufsrestore

HI Gurus, I have a sunfire V445 server running SAP ECC 6.0 with an Oracle database on Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9). I recently completed a ufsdump to tape of the following files:- /, /usr, /oracle, /export, /sapr3, I want to restore these files from tape onto a different server of the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charleywasharo
5 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Building New server using Ufsdump/ufsrestore

Hi Guys, Marry X-MAX in advance :) I would like to build a new server using ufsdump/ufsrestore. Both the servers are identical hardware and model. I am using Solaris 10 X86 O/S. I am having ufsdump "mydump.rootdump.gz" in a Central NFS server. What I did:- I took backup of root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Building New server using ufsdump/ufsrestore

Hi Guys, Marry X-MAX in advance :) I would like to build a new server using ufsdump/ufsrestore. Both the servers are identical hardware and model. I am using Solaris 10 X86 O/S. I am having ufsdump "mydump.rootdump.gz" in a Central NFS server. What I did:- I took backup of root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to pipe ufsdump to ufsrestore?

Dear all, i want to copy the partition contents from a smaller disk to a larger disk but without modifying the target disk partition size. To this end, i tried to use piping ufsdump to ufsrestore as 'ufsdump 0f - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 l ufsrestore -i - /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0' but it was not successful. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
0 Replies

9. Solaris

How to pipe ufsdump to ufsrestore?

Dear all, i want to copy the partition contents from a smaller disk to a larger disk but without modifying the target disk partition size. To this end, i tried to use piping ufsdump to ufsrestore as 'ufsdump 0f - /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 l ufsrestore -i - /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0' but it was not successful. Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

10. Solaris

possible to do ufsdump backup without a tape drive ?

hi friends, i am trying to patch a solaris 9 server. However i need to do a ufsdump backup before any patching. There is no hardware port for connecting the tape drive. Any other ways to do a ufsdump ? :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
2 Replies
BACKUP_APROPOS(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_APROPOS(8)

NAME
backup_apropos - Displays each help entry containing a keyword string SYNOPSIS
backup apropos -topic <help string> [-help] backup ap -t <help string> [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup apropos command displays the first line of the online help entry for any backup command that has in its name or short description the string specified by the -topic argument. To display the syntax for a command, use the backup help command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string> Specifies the keyword string to match, in lowercase letters only. If the string is more than a single word, surround it with double quotes (" ") or other delimiters. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The first line of a command's online help entry names it and briefly describes its function. This command displays the first line for any backup command where the string specified with the -topic argument is part of the command name or first line. EXAMPLES
The following example lists all backup commands that include the word "tape" in their names or short descriptions: % backup apropos tape labeltape: label a tape readlabel: read the label on tape scantape: dump information recovery from tape status: get tape coordinator status PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_help(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_APROPOS(8)