Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash: How to send a file/directory as argument? Post 302477909 by lamachejo on Monday 6th of December 2010 05:17:48 PM
Old 12-06-2010
It's the tar gzip . For example, ill try to clear it up, my explanation was kinda bad:

if I write : ./compress file1 file file3 file file5

I want the script to compress all of them. But I need one variable for each of them, right? because i want those 5 files to be compressed in one.

But I know there must be a method so I only need one variable that contains the path of all the files that are sent by arguments to the script, right?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

bash: ./<scriptname>: No such file or directory

I have simply downloaded a file to my local folder, made one small change and uploaded it back, ever since it will not run the file. I have now uploaded the original, unchanged file, which still doesn;t work. Evertime it is run ot says bash: ./nrcardprint: No such file or directory The... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi.Ebbs
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send an alert if a file is present in a directory for 10 min

hi, A script which look into a directory and send an alert via a mail. If there is any file exisiting in a directory for more then 10 min. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madfox
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: If a file stays in a particular directory more than 30 min send an email

Hi , I am new to shell scripting. i have a requirement say i will receive a file in a directory say /xyz.if that file stays in that directory more than 30 min i need to get a mail to my outlook.this should run for every 20 min in crontab. can anyone help me? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: How to send the output to a file upon users' request?

Let's say I have a script which creates a report. I use getopts to have different options available to the user. One of these options is -f which basically exports the output of script to a text file which user may give the name of that text file. How can I output the result to the requested file.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to send lines of file to new file based on Regex

I have a file that looks like this: cat includes CORP-CRASHTEST-BU e:\crashplan\ CORP-TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man CORP-LABS_TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man What I want to do is make three new files with just those selections. So the three... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to delete file in directory

Will the below bash delete all the "snps.ivg" in the given directory? Thank you :) find N:\all_array\Samples -maxdepth 1 -type f -name "snps.ivg" -delete (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop multiple directory, find a file and send email

Hello ALL, need a BASH script who find file and send email with attachment. I have 50 folders without sub directories in each generated files of different sizes but with a similar name Rp01.txt Rp02.txt Rp03.txt ...etc. Each directors bound by mail group, I need a script that goes as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penchev
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send to perl the content of a bash variable as argument?

I want to send the content of a bash variable as a python argument for processing. The problem is that bash doesn't "expand" the content, just sends the expression. script.sh#!/bin/bash export RECEIVEDDATE=$(date +"%Y%m%d.%H%M%S") perl checkdate.py checkdate.pyimport datetime import os... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send email if latest file in a directory is older than 2 hours

I have a objective of Sending email if latest file in a directory(excluding files of sub-dirs) is older than 2 hours. eg : ls -ltr drwx--x--x 2 abcde abc 256 2017-02-07 20:10 Mail -rw-rw-r-- 1 abcde abc 1170 2017-02-24 17:30 test -rw-rw-r-- 1 abcde abc 356 2017-03-09 18:00 xyz.csv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
3 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)