Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to execute a bash script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to execute a bash script Post 302477755 by Corona688 on Monday 6th of December 2010 10:24:01 AM
Old 12-06-2010
Yes, you should add "#!/bin/bash" as the first line.

You also need to set the script executable.

Code:
chmod +x test.sh

And, you should never, ever name a script "test" because there's already system utilities named "test".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop does not execute in bash script?

I have a very basic bash shell script, which has many "while... done; for .... done" loop clauses, like the following ~~ #!/bin/bash while blablalba; do .... done < /tmp/file for line in `cat blablabla`; do grep $line /tmp/raw ; done > /tmp/1; while blablalba2; do .... done <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to execute sh script in bash shell via crontab

hello. we are porting over from HPUX Shell to Linux. my default shell is bash so i can no longer schedule to execute a sh script in crontab. can anyone pls help me out? I searched the site but didnt find any details. thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute interactive bash menu script in browser with PHP

I have an interactive menu script written in bash and I would like use PHP to open the interactive bash menu in a browser. Is this possible? Using the sytem() function in php runs the script but it's all garbled. Seems like maybe a terminal window needs to be opened in php first? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nck
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script won't execute (Mac)

I can't get any bash scripts to run in Terminal (Mac - Snow Leopard). I have the following super-simple script, and I can't get it to execute despite having the correct permissions (I think). #!/bin/bash echo "WORK... PLEASE?!" I named the file 'testScript.sh', and I added execution... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: compulsiveguile
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute commands from script in current bash session

I have a file as follows: cat /etc/mxg/ssh-hostsmx.example1.com.au:2225 mx2.example2.com.au:2225 mx.example3.com.au:2225 mail.example4.com.au:2225 mail.example5.org.au:2225 mail.example6.com.au:2225I want to dynamically create aliases for quick access to these servers from bash. I wrote... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh commands through bash script

Hi all! I am trying to write a script that will check if a certain directory is available at several different nodes and then do stuff in it ..... On the beginning of the script I give as a variable the directory and the number of the nodes and then I loop like this: for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: idet2
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to execute a program to rename files

I just can't figure it out , so please just give me a pice of advise how to: The existing Linux program foo2bar takes as its only argument the name of a single foo file and converts it to an appropriately-named bar file. Provide a script that when executed will run foo2bar against all foo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raymen
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to execute a command remote servers using ssh

Hello, I am running into few issues, please suggest me what I am missing. I am running this script on a linux host. Main idea of this script is to, login to each host via ssh and get uid of user, service user that I trying to run this script, has already deployed ssh keys and provide sudo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

9. Programming

CGI Perl script to execute bash script- unable to create folder

Hi I have a bash script which takes parameters sh /tmp/gdg.sh -b BASE-NAME -n 1 -s /source/data -p /dest/data/archive -m ARC gdg.sh will scan the /source/data and will move the contents to /dest/data/archive after passing through some filters. Its working superb from bash I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying bash script to take each line in a file and execute command

I need to modify a bash script to to take each line in a file and execute command. I currently have this: #!/bin/bash if ; then echo "Lipsa IP"; exit; fi i=1 ip=$1 while ; do if ; then rand=`head -$i pass_file | tail -1` user=`echo $rand | awk '{print $1}'` pass=`echo $rand | awk '{print $2}'`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
3 Replies
XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)

NAME
xsil2graphics - generate scripts to load xsil output data files SYNOPSIS
xsil2graphics [options] <xsil_file> DESCRIPTION
Utility program bundled with xmds, used to generate scripts that load simulation output data into either matlab (http://www.mathworks.com) or scilab (http://www.scilab.org), which are then used to manipulate the results further if necessary and then to present the results graphically. Matlab To generate a matlab m-file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics data_file.xsil or bash$ xsil2graphics --matlab data_file.xsil Then at the matlab command prompt: >> data_file Scilab To generate a scilab script file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab data_file.xsil Then at the scilab command prompt: --> exec('data_file.sci') OPTIONS
-m, --matlab generate matlab m-file script to load data from the xsil data file (the default option) -s, -scilab generate scilab script file to load data from the xsil data file -o, --outfile <out_file> specify an alternative output script filename to the default which is the input xsil filename with the .xsil extension changed to either .m for the matlab m-file or .sci for the scilab script file EXAMPLES
bash$ xsil2graphics nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.m to load the data into matlab bash$ xsil2graphics -m nlse.xsil Also generates the output nlse.m but explicitly sets matlab to be the output format bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.sci to load the data into scilab bash$ xsil2graphics --outfile nlse_new.m nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse_new.m to load the data into matlab AUTHORS
Originally written by Greg Collecutt Maintained by Paul Cochrane with code contributed by Joe Hope BUGS
No known bugs. SEE ALSO
xmds(1), loadxsil(1) http://www.xmds.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Code contributed by Greg Collecutt, Joseph Hope and Paul Cochrane This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. perl v5.8.2 2004-06-21 XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)