Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Loop difficulty
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loop difficulty Post 302477325 by ctsgnb on Saturday 4th of December 2010 10:01:50 AM
Old 12-04-2010
This is an example (i did intentionally kept as closed to your code as i could)
$REPLY is the build-in variable that works with select case statement (ksh)

Code:
echo "Flower choice:"
PS3="Choose your favourite flower from these possibilities: "
select FLOWER in rose sunflower cornflower lily
do
        case $REPLY in
                1|2|3|4) echo "You have choosen $FLOWER as your favourite." ;;
                *) echo "You typed a wrong figure.";;
        esac
echo "repeat?"
read var
if [[ -z "$var" || "$var" = "no" ]]
then
        echo "you choosed to exit"
        break
fi
done

This User Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Difficulty in Posting URLs in my threads

Hi, I have a problem in pasting a url in the thread. I tried many a times and i keep failing. Can u tell me what's wrong? I go by the instructions that appear after clicking the http:// but still i fail. The link does not appear properly in the threads that i post. Thanks, Nisha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having difficulty with UNIX concept. Please help!

Hi, I would be very happy if someone could help me please. I am relatively new to UNIX, and still learning. My understanding of things are: Say I have a PC running Windows. This machine has a name. If I have 10 PC's, then I have 10 names, one for each PC. Each PC is independent of the other.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALon
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reverse Proxy difficulty

Hi I am trying to set up two hosts in a reverse proxy. The reverse proxy already has 8 servers running perfectly, but they are all simply mapping pure addresses, which I have registered internally and externally. The latest two I wish to add are a bit different, they are app servers, one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rboekdrukker
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Difficulty

Hi, I am trying to upload a file to a SQL database table. The column type is IMAGE. I am looking for a solution to upload a word doc file. I tried 3 approaches. 1) my $fileToStore = "mytest.doc"; open IPFILE, "<", $name; binmode IPFILE; while (<IPFILE>) { $fileToStore .= $_; } close... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b.paramanatti
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

difficulty in formatting a file.

a file containing following data (part of it).... 1907594 201012 31 11 5837737 201012 41 18 257402.88 201101 31 11 7500 201101 33 1 115618.5 201101 41 11 556330 201102 31 12 481783.5 201102 41 20 2827732.13 201103 31 71 85253 201103 33 2 4479588.07 201103 41 90 7120 201104 21 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

difficulty with awk

hello folks, i am stuck with this awk command. i need to calculate the sum of a column of values on a flatfile and i am using the following command : awk -F"|" '{x += $10} END {print "Sum: "x}' standard_csv_file1.out that flatfile contains 180 fields and i am getting the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsony
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difficulty in understanding sort command

Hi, I have used the following command to get result using some program and got desired output but I am unable to understand the last part: sort -k5,5 -rn|head -n 10 grep Centre groups.dat |sort -k5,5 -rn|head -n 10 Please guide. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difficulty with set - command

Hi , i have a shell script with the first two lines as #! /bin/ksh set -x when i try opening the file from unix using the command 'sh filename.sh' , i am getting the below error : invalid optionline 2: set: - Pls help Use code tags for you code and data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajankum
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difficulty with CAT redirection in script

I have not been able to append the contents of many files into one file. I have executed the CAT command shown below separately substituting an actual path and file name for the array variable to verify that I have the syntax correct. The bottom line - nothing is happening with CAT. I am running... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmith
16 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)