Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading a specific line from a file Post 302477163 by boopathyvasagam on Friday 3rd of December 2010 12:03:37 PM
Old 12-03-2010
Reading a specific line from a file

Hi All,
I am having 100 lines a text file say a.txt. I want read the 'nth' line from that file inside a script. Kindly tell us how to that.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading specific line from file

Hi all... I not a expert unix script programmer, Kindly adjust. My requirement is that, i have a file which contains the about 10 lines - say 1 2 3 ... 8 war of the worlds: => text in this line 9 9000,80,78,77,334,445 => this line contains some numbers separted by commas 10 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool_boss2121
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading specific part of file

I have a requirement to go to particular line in the file and from there read the contents till it meets a particular criteria. For eg if the contents of the file is like 81 abcd ------------------- Line 1 82 cdfe ------------------- Line 2 83 dfj ------------------- Line 3 84 df... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a specific line in a loop

Hello All, Request you to let me know how to do the below urgently.. Requirement File A Contains: for i in file A DEV1 DEV5 STG1 STG5 File B Contains: for j in file B DEV1 DEV5 STG1 STG5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushikraman
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

hello, I have got the following problem that I am hoping someone can help with please. 1. I have got the following text file (below) , the columns data are 'Test Day', 'Board', 'Betting Number'. TEXT FILE ============================================ 1 3 02-01-27-28-29-30 0 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

Hello, I have a problem which is giving me headache for days, can some please help. Please see code and text fiel below. Please see text in red for the problem I am facing # Program gets an input x from user while read line ; do echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
4 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Reading a file for specific words

Hi I have a script where the user calls it with arguments like so: ./import.sh -s DNSNAME -d DBNAME I want to check that the database entered is valid by going through a passwd.ds file and checking if the database exists there. If it doesn't, the I need to send a message to my log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a specific line in a file while reading sequentially

All, I know this is a very naive question but I could not find a way to get this working! I have a file with values like input.file Value1 Value2 server1/mylogin,mypasswd Value3 Value4 And in my code, I am reading the file line by line and processing it. #! /bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)