Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Partition offset problem after re-mirror vg Post 302477142 by shockneck on Friday 3rd of December 2010 10:40:09 AM
Old 12-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalite19
[...]But when I look at the partition table of hdisk32 and hdisk3, they are not the same [...] How can I fix this without offlining extvg?
  • As you have an hdisk32 and an hdisk55 I assume that these are not physical disks but SAN disks. In this case the information of the LV position is completely useless because you have no information about where the data is being placed on the LUN's underlying physical disk(s).
  • If you use physical disks having different layouts on different disks might be an advantage if you have more read than write operations because the disk's head will start reading data from that copy that can be accessed first (as long as you don't configure your LV's otherwise). If you use exact mapping the head move will allways be the same.
  • The layout of the two disks is different because there was space used on hdisk32 before /db/arch had been created. This space has been freed and neither been used by another LV/FS nor filled via a reorgvg.
  • Creating the mirror with exact mapping is the fastest possibility to make the mapping the same on every disk. In case the disk's characteristics are identical you might also try a reorgvg. There are even other ways to achieve this. All share that you can change this on the fly. LVM is great.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problem with Solaris Partition, I cant see it

Hi All, First post, I work as database developer (Oracle) My task is to setup a solaris system on a VMware installation which sits on a x86 server. I have installed the Os, applied patches (I think) and on VMWARE I added new hardware (Disk) which is where my database will be. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: platforminc
5 Replies

2. Solaris

ZFS Mirror versus Hardware Mirror

I've looked a little but haven't found a solid answer, assuming there is one. What's better, hardware mirroring or ZFS mirroring? Common practice for us was to use the raid controllers on the Sun x86 servers. Now we've been using ZFS mirroring since U6. Any performance difference? Any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lespaul20
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10: Problems booting off mirror drive -- Error 22: No such partition

Solaris 10 5/08 on Ultra 40 M2 It boots fine off primary disk but having issues booting off the mirror disk. I get this error when booting off mirror disk: Booting 'Solaris 10 ... Mirror disk' root (hd1,0,a) Error 22: No such partition Press any key to continue... Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etc
7 Replies

4. Solaris

What is mirror and sub mirror in RAID -1 SVM

Hi , I am new to SVM .when i try to learn RAID 1 , first they are creating two RAID 0 strips through metainit d51 1 1 c0t0d0s2 metainit d52 1 1 c1t0d0s2 In the next step metainit d50 -m d51 d50: Mirror is setup next step is metaattach d50 d52 d50 : submirror d52 is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM mirror creation problem

I apologize is this isn't an appropriate post for the 'advanced' UNIX, so please let me know if I should post this under UNIX for dummies, but here's my problem in a nutshell: I having problems creating a mirrored logical volume. I have created two new physical volumes ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonrodan
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep --byte-offset not returning the offset (Grep version 2.5.1)

Hi, I am trying to get the position of a repeated string in a line using grep -b -o "pattern" In my server I am using GNU grep version 2.14 and the code is working fine. However when I am deploying the same code in a different server which is using GNU grep version 2.5.1 the code is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subhamoy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running zip from cron - bad zipfile offset

I've created a pretty straightforward shell script to do backups via rsync. Every night it rsyncs a copy of a website (approx 60GB) to the local machine. Once a week, after the rsync step, it zips the local copy of the whole site into 2GB chunks and places them in another folder. When running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agreppa
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Mirror disk problem

Hello all, i have the mirror disk problem with SunOS 5.10. here's the message: # metastat d15 d15: Mirror Submirror 0: d16 State: Needs maintenance Submirror 1: d17 State: Okay Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwprabowo
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

The problem in the new partition

hi I created a new partition ls -l /dev/sda* brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Oct 21 12:29 /dev/sda brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Oct 12 11:19 /dev/sda1 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 10 Oct 21 13:50 /dev/sda10 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 Oct 12 11:19 /dev/sda2 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 3 Oct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
3 Replies
volreattach(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    volreattach(8)

NAME
volreattach - Reattaches disk drives that have once again become accessible SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volreattach [-rb] [accessname...] /usr/sbin/volreattach -c accessname OPTIONS
The volreattach utility has the following options: Calls the volrecover utility to attempt to recover stale plexes of any volumes on the failed disk. Performs the reattach operation in the background. Checks whether a reattach is possible. No operation is performed, but the name of the disk group and disk media name at which the disk can be reattached is displayed. DESCRIPTION
The volreattach utility attempts to reattach disks using the same disk group and media names they had before detachment. This operation may be necessary if a disk has a transient failure, or if some disk drivers are unloaded or unloadable when the Logical Storage Manager is started, causing disks to enter the failed state. If the problem is fixed, the volreattach command can be used to reattach the disks without plexes being flagged as stale, as long as the reattach happens before any volumes on the disk are started. The volreattach command is called from the voldiskadm menus as part of disk recovery. The volreattach utility tries to find a disk with a disk group and disk ID matching that of the disk(s) being reattached. If the matching disk is found, the reattach operation may still fail if the original cause (or some other cause) for the disk failure still exists. EXIT CODES
A zero exit status is returned if it is possible to perform a reattach. Otherwise, non-zero is returned. SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8), volrecover(8) volreattach(8)