Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting a file based on context. Post 302476794 by webkid on Thursday 2nd of December 2010 03:28:30 PM
Old 12-02-2010
Splitting a file based on context.

I have file as shown below. Would like to split the file based on the context of data.
Like, split the content between "---- XXX Info ----" and "
---- YYY Info ----" to a file.

When I try using below command, 2nd file contains all the info starting after first "---- YYYY Info ----" instance.
Code:
csplit -ks pfm.txt '%XXX Info%' '/^---- YYY Info ----/' {2}

Any suggestions how to split the only reqd. data as mentioned above.
Code:
---- XXX Info ----
Buuuu xxx bbb
Kmmmm rrr ssss uuuu
Kwwww zzzz ccc
Roooowwww eeee
Bxxxx jjjj dddd
---- YYY Info ----
Kuuuu eeeee nnnn
Rpppp cccc vvvv cccc
Rhhhhhhyyyy tttt
Lhhhh rrrrrssssss
Bffff mmmm iiiii
Ktttt eeeeeee
---- XXX Info ----
Kyyyyy iiiii wwww
Rwwww rrrr sssss eeee
Rnnnnn xxxxxxccccc
Lhhhh rrrrrssssss
Bffff mmmm iiiii
Ktttt eeeeeee
---- YYY Info ----
Lhhhh rrrrrssssss
Bffff mmmm iiiii
Ktttt eeeeeee
hhhh rrrrrssssss
Bffff mmmm iiiii
Ktttt eeeeeee
---- XXX Info ----
Kyyyyy iiiii wwww
Rwwww rrrr sssss eeee
Rnnnnn xxxxxxccccc
Lhhhh rrrrrssssss
Bffff mmmm iiiii
Ktttt eeeeeee
---- YYY Info ----

---------- Post updated at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:26 PM ----------

For clarification:

I need output files like:
file 1:
Code:
---- XXX Info ----
Buuuu xxx bbb
Kmmmm rrr ssss uuuu
Kwwww zzzz ccc
Roooowwww eeee
Bxxxx jjjj dddd

file 2:
Code:
---- XXX Info ----
Kyyyyy iiiii wwww
Rwwww rrrr sssss eeee
Rnnnnn xxxxxxccccc
Lhhhh rrrrrssssss
Bffff mmmm iiiii
Ktttt eeeeeee

file 3:
Code:
---- XXX Info ----
Kyyyyy iiiii wwww
Rwwww rrrr sssss eeee
Rnnnnn xxxxxxccccc
Lhhhh rrrrrssssss
Bffff mmmm iiiii
Ktttt eeeeeee

Last edited by Scott; 12-02-2010 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Use code tags...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on some condition and naming them

I have a file given below. I want to split the file where ever I came across ***(instead you can put ### symbols in the file) . Also I need to name the file by extracting the report name from the first line which is in bold(eg:RPT507A) concatinated with DD(day on which the file runs). Can someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting files based on text in the file

I need to split a file based on certain context inside the file. Is there a unix command that can do this? I have looked into split and csplit but it does not seem like those would work because I need to split this file based on certain text. The file has multiple records and I need to split this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrix1067
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on number of rows

Hi, I'm, new to shell scripting, I have a requirement where I have to split an incoming file into separate files each containing a maximum of 3 million rows. For e.g: if my incoming file say In.txt has 8 mn rows then I need to create 3 files, in which two will 3 mn rows and one will contain 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the file based on logic

Hello I have a requirement where i need to split the Input fixed width file which contains multiple invoices into multiple files with 2 invoices per file. Each invoice can be identified by its first line's second character which is "H" and sixth character is " " space and the invoice would... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on two patterns

Hi there, I've an input file as follows: *START 1001 a1 1002 a2 1003 a3 1004 a4 *END *START 1001 b1 1002 b2 1004 b4 *END *START 1001 c1 1004 c4 *END (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbirde
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on first 8 chars

I have an input file of this format <Date><other data> For example, 20081213aaaaaaaaa 20081213bbbbbbbbb 20081220ccccccccc 20081220ddddddddd 20081220eeeeeeeee 20081227ffffffffffffff The first 8 chars are date in YYYYMMDD formT. I need to split this file into n files where n is the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paruthiveeran
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on column values

Hi all, I have a file (say file.txt) which contains comma-separated rows. Each row has seven columns. Only column 4 or 5 (not both) can have empty values like "" in each line. Sample lines So, now i want all the rows that have column 4 as "" go in file1.txt and all the rows that have column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on line numbers

Hello friends, Is there any way to split file from n to n+6 into 1 file and (n+7) to (n+16) into other file etc. f.e I have source pipe delimated file with 20 lines and i need to split 1-6 in file1 and 7-16 in file2 and 17-20 in file 3 I need to split into fixed number of file like 4 files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizzu155
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on pattern and first character

I have a file as below pema.txt s2dhshfu dshfkdjh dshfd rjhfjhflhflhvflxhvlxhvx vlvhx sfjhldhfdjhldjhjhjdhjhjxhjhxjxh sjfdhdhfldhlghldhflhflhfhldfhlsh rjsdjh#error occured# skjfhhfdkhfkdhbvfkdhvkjhfvkhf sjkdfhdjfh#error occured# my requirement is to create 3 files frm the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pema.yozer
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on a pattern

Hi All, I am having a problem. I tried to extract the chunk of data and tried to fix I am not able to. Any help please Basically I need to remove the for , values after K, this is how it is now A,, B, C,C, D,D, 12/04/10,12/04/10, K,1,1,1,1,0,3.0, K,1,1,1,2,0,4.0,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
Info::Layer3::Pf(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Info::Layer3::Pf(3pm)

NAME
SNMP::Info::Layer3::Pf - SNMP Interface to FreeBSD-Based Firewalls using Pf /Pf Sense AUTHOR
Max Baker SYNOPSIS
# Let SNMP::Info determine the correct subclass for you. my $pf = new SNMP::Info( AutoSpecify => 1, Debug => 1, # These arguments are passed directly to SNMP::Session DestHost => 'myswitch', Community => 'public', Version => 2 ) or die "Can't connect to DestHost. "; my $class = $pf->class(); print "SNMP::Info determined this device to fall under subclass : $class "; DESCRIPTION
Subclass for Free-BSD PF-Based devices LLDP Support LLDP Support is included but untested in this Device Class. It is reported that the available CDP/LLDP modules for net-snmp don't work on FreeBSD (on which pfSense is based) as they assume certain Linux specific Ethernet structures. This problem is apparently solved on PF based firewall appliances by using the ladvd package, for which a port may be found here: <http://www.freshports.org/net/ladvd/>. I'm not sure if this module ties into Net-SNMP or not. Inherited Classes SNMP::Info::Layer3 SNMP::Info::LLDP Required MIBs FOKUS-MIB Inherited Classes' MIBs See "Required MIBs" in SNMP::Info::Layer3 for its own MIB requirements. See "Required MIBs" in SNMP::Info::LLDP for its own MIB requirements. GLOBALS
These are methods that return scalar values from SNMP $pf->vendor() Returns 'FreeBSD' $pf->hasCDP() Returns whether LLDP is enabled. $pf->model() Grabs the os version from "sysDescr" $pf->os() Returns 'Pf' $pf->os_ver() Tries to reference $pf->id() to one of the product MIBs listed above. Will probably return a truncation of the default OID for pf- based systems "enterprises.12325.1.1.2.1.1". Global Methods imported from SNMP::Info::Layer3 See documentation in "GLOBALS" in SNMP::Info::Layer3 for details. TABLE METHODS
These are methods that return tables of information in the form of a reference to a hash. $pf->c_id() Returns LLDP information. $pf->c_if() Returns LLDP information. $pf->c_ip() Returns LLDP information. $pf->c_platform() Returns LLDP information. $pf->c_port() Returns LLDP information. Table Methods imported from SNMP::Info::Layer3 See documentation in "TABLE METHODS" in SNMP::Info::Layer3 for details. Table Methods imported from SNMP::Info::LLDP See documentation in "TABLE METHODS" in SNMP::Info::LLDP for details. perl v5.12.4 2011-09-28 Info::Layer3::Pf(3pm)