Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing text between two square brackets Post 302476783 by Franklin52 on Thursday 2nd of December 2010 02:51:21 PM
Old 12-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaff
...for further clarity:
what i'm trying to do is replace the string between the brackets with its MD5 value. I'm basically anonymising the data. I can only search the file using the id, as i have no idea what the string-to-be-replaced is.

.......and how about if i wanted to keep the square brackets?
Code:
MD5="New Text" 

sed '/0001/ s/\[.*]/['"$MD5]"'/' file

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaff
how can i assign the value between the brackets to a variable?
Code:
var=$(sed -n '/0001/ s/.*\[\(.*\)].*/\1/p' file)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

square brackets

I would like to substitute a phrase which contains square brackets. change TO how? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilead29
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHy the double square brackets?

One of the senior administrators gave me a shell script to modify and it begins as follows: if ] && ] {more code follows} Why the double square brackets? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double square brackets question

Hi, I just came across an interesting shell script syntax like the one below: ] && (trap 'rm -rf ${WORK_DIR}/*.$$; echo "\n\nInterrupted !!\n\n"; exit 4' 1 2 3 15) Can someone please explain the code snippet above? The trap command bit is fine but ] && is the hazy part. Generally we use an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text between two square [..] brackets

Hi All, After searching about this, I could find some solutions but I am not sure why it is not working in my case. I have a text file with contents between two square brackets. The text file looks like this: Use tags when you post any code so others can easily read your code. You can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single or double square brackets

Hi frieds, I don't understand the difference between single square bracket and double square brackets in a IF condition. Ex. if ; then RETURNJOB=1 else RETURNJOB=0 fi It run, but this if ]; then RETURNJOB=1 else RETURNJOB=0 fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dogshort
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the text between the nth occurrence of square brackets

Please can someone help with this? I have a file with lines as follows: word1 word2 word3 word4 word5 word6 word7 word8 word1 word2 word3 word4 word5 word6 word7 word8 word1 word2 word3 word4 word5 word6 word7 word8 word1 word2 word3 word4 word5 word6 word7 word8 When I use the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subhadeep_Sahu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with occurence of square brackets

Hello all, I have the following problem: $ cat infile this is spam and i need this too this is spam and i need this too $ perl -nwe '$_ =~ /]+ \]+)\]\]*\]? (\+)$/; print "$1 - $2\n";' infile i need this - too i need this - and i need this too I am not sure how many occurences of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF statement with square brackets

Hi All, Hope you all are doing good. Yesterday in my project i came across a scenario which i can not guess why it was working in one region and why it was not in another region. Please find my issue below. I am using AIX version 6.0 of UNIX in my project, in shell scripting i have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad man
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sort a text file based on names in square brackets

Hi all, I have a text file similar to this: Text More text Etc Stuff That Is Needed Etc Etc This contains over 70 entries and each entry has several lines of text below the name in square brackets. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scally
5 Replies
dlabad.f(3)							      LAPACK							       dlabad.f(3)

NAME
dlabad.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine dlabad (SMALL, LARGE) DLABAD Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine dlabad (double precisionSMALL, double precisionLARGE) DLABAD Purpose: DLABAD takes as input the values computed by DLAMCH for underflow and overflow, and returns the square root of each of these values if the log of LARGE is sufficiently large. This subroutine is intended to identify machines with a large exponent range, such as the Crays, and redefine the underflow and overflow limits to be the square roots of the values computed by DLAMCH. This subroutine is needed because DLAMCH does not compensate for poor arithmetic in the upper half of the exponent range, as is found on a Cray. Parameters: SMALL SMALL is DOUBLE PRECISION On entry, the underflow threshold as computed by DLAMCH. On exit, if LOG10(LARGE) is sufficiently large, the square root of SMALL, otherwise unchanged. LARGE LARGE is DOUBLE PRECISION On entry, the overflow threshold as computed by DLAMCH. On exit, if LOG10(LARGE) is sufficiently large, the square root of LARGE, otherwise unchanged. Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: November 2011 Definition at line 75 of file dlabad.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.1 Sun May 26 2013 dlabad.f(3)