Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Version Control Through the Shell Script Post 302476633 by R0H0N on Thursday 2nd of December 2010 06:41:05 AM
Old 12-02-2010
There is an inbuilt version control facility available in UNIX. You can manage your versions using SCCS facility of UNIX. Go through man pages of SCCS or contact your system administrator for more information.

I use this approach in following way.

PHP Code:
# SCCS information:
# %Z%        File: %M%
# %Z%     Version: %I%
# %Z%   SCCS Base: %F%
# %Z%  Updated on: %E% at %U%
# %Z% Obtained on: %D% at %T%
#
# Name:  
#     Program Name
#
# Purpose:
#     Purpose of the code. 
#
# Description:
#     Description.
#
# Author:
#     James Bond
#
# History:
#     01-Jun-2009 Mon   James Bond
#             First version checked in. 
Whenever changes are made, coder simply appends his/her name under History tag along with the changes. Rest are automatically updated by SCCS itself.
R0H0N

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Version Control

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post my question on Version Control. Anyway, here it is! I use CVS for source code maintainence in my Solaris box. Is there any command where I can find out in CVS, if any check-in/check-out was done in the last 24 hours? I need a listing of all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

control over shell script

Hi.. I have a perl program that uses "system" to execute a shell script called startengine. The script "startengine" itself calls a lot of other smaller scripts to setup the engine etc. It finally has to execute ./engine which is another shell script which is long and takes a long time to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JLJ
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Control Cronjobs using Shell Script??

Hi All, Now i am running the 3 oracle procedures one by one manually. Query: If 1st Procedure OUT_PUT is Success, then call 2nd Procedure. If 2nd Procedure OUT_PUT is Success, then call 3rd Procedure. If 1st Procedure is failed, then no need of calling the other ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to disable and enable <control>-c or -z in a shell script

Dear all, good day. i'm asking about how to disable <control>-c or <control>-z in the beginning of a shell script then enable it again before the script exit Best Regards ---------- Post updated at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:18 AM ---------- Dear All i found the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control browser from shell script

I have a browser running in a separate virtual terminal and would like to be able to send shortcut codes (e.g. ctrl+A) to the browser (and have it react) from a bash script in a separate virtual terminal. I need to keep the script in the separate virtual terminal. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple version control script for text files

HI guys, Could you help me writing a simple version control script for a text files. the format could be ./version_control <file(s)> (I want it to be able to work with more than 1 file at the same time) commands are add and get, add means you add new file(s) to the archive, get means you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control m Character removal shell script

can anyone share script for how to remove control m character (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pw227j
1 Replies

8. Programming

Version control for audit

Hi.I am running some scripts from a "scripts" directory for my job (I am working in Financial industry).For compliance purposes I need to use a "release" directory when running them using some sort of version control(CVS,SVN or GIT) in case the program is audited.Basically I have to maintain a dev... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolleikid
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing control back to the shell script

Hi All, I have a shell script(test_abc.sh) with the following shell commands, which are invoking the same shell script with different parameters. test_abc.sh . ./test.sh abc >> test.log . ./test.sh xyz >> test.log . ./test.sh pys >> test.log . ./test.sh abc >> test.log . . ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
4 Replies
sccs-sccsdiff(1)						   User Commands						  sccs-sccsdiff(1)

NAME
sccs-sccsdiff, sccsdiff - compare two versions of an SCCS file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ccs/bin/sccsdiff [-p] -rsid -rsid [diff-options] s.filename DESCRIPTION
sccsdiff compares two versions of an SCCS file and displays the differences between the two versions. Any number of SCCS files may be spec- ified. The options specified apply to all named s.files. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -p Pipe output for each file through pr(1). -rsid Specify a version corresponding to the indicated SCCS delta ID (SID) for comparison. Versions are passed to diff(1) in the order given. diff-options Pass options to diff(1), including: -b, -c, -e, -f, -h, -u, -C number, -U number, and -D string. FILES
/tmp/get????? temporary files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsprot | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), sccs(1), sccs-delta(1), sccs-get(1), sccs-help(1), sccs-prs(1), sccs-prt(1), what(1), sccsfile(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
filename: No differences If the two versions are the same. Use the SCCS help command for explanations of other messages. See sccs-help(1). SunOS 5.10 28 Sep 2001 sccs-sccsdiff(1)