Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can't change fully qualified host name Post 302476546 by solaris_user on Thursday 2nd of December 2010 03:18:26 AM
Old 12-02-2010
Your hostname must be changed in /etc/nodename

Code:
vi /etc/nodename

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

find the fully-qualified path for the app my module is running in

Hi- I need the cpp call that will tell me the full path to the app I'm running in. For example, I'm running in a loaded library for either mozilla or firefox, but would like to know the full path to the executable /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/local/firefox1_5 etc... (For... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erwinfletch
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Hostname not fully qualified..

Hi Friends.. I have a small problem with the hostname of my system.I had installed Solaris 10 X86 on Vmware in my windows 2000 system.After booting of my solaris system,if i give check-hostname command it says ,, hostname is not fully qualified ,,change the hostname to hostname.xxx.xxxxxx.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
3 Replies

3. AIX

NIM host name change

Hi I have a NIM server on AIX 5.3.08.02. I had to change the host name and I now have nimsh connection issues to the NIM clients. All host files and DNS entries are correct with the new host name. I have tried editing the niminfo files on the NIM server and NIM clinet. I have tried removing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimyo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change $HOST in /etc/hosts

I want to change the following lines in /etc/hosts on FreeBSD: ::1 localhost localhost.my.domain 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain into the following lines ::1 localhost foo.example.com 127.0.0.1 localhost foo.example.com I have the following script to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

5. IP Networking

Unable to ping freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name

hi all. am unable to ping a freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name from a windows machine. i have already set the fqdn for the machine. plz advise me. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get fully qualified path name

hi actually i want to get fully qualified path name of the file when the file name is entered as command line argument while running a shell script ex. if i run the shell as $./test.sh ./nsdnet_file.csv the it should display me the full path of the file like /dialp/Release/bin/nsdnet_file.csv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
3 Replies

7. AIX

Single command to change the attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host

Hi, I would like to know if there is a command similar to scsimgr in HP-UX that can help me change the algorithm and reserve_policy attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host. Otherwise I would have to use, chdev -l hdiskX -a algorithm=round_robin reserve_policy=no_reserve in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

change password for multiple host

1-How can i change root password of 5 Fedora 11 machines (server1 server2 server3 server4 server5) with a single script , for example make password : 123456 NB. from server1 i can via ssh connect to the others machines without a password Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chang-lee
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Change from weak ssh host key to strong one

Hi, I got instructions from Security audit team for Solaris-10 server. They mentioned - "The sshd configuration on the host supported weak host keys and allowed password authentication on Solaris server. Enable stronger keys (2048 or 4096 bit)". I am not clear enough, what they mean by weak... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies
HOSTS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  HOSTS(5)

NAME
hosts -- host name data base DESCRIPTION
The hosts file contains information regarding the known hosts on the network. It can be used in conjunction with DNS, and the NIS maps `hosts.byaddr' and `hosts.byname', as controlled by nsswitch.conf(5). For each host a single line should be present with the following information: Internet address official host name aliases Items are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab characters. A ``#'' indicates the beginning of a comment; characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines which search the file. This file provides a backup used when the name server is not running. For the name server, it is suggested that only a few addresses be included in this file. These include addresses for the local interfaces that ifconfig(8) needs at boot time and a few machines on the local network. This file may be created from the official host data base maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), though local changes may be required to bring it up to date regarding unofficial aliases and/or unknown hosts. As the data base maintained at NIC is incomplete, use of the name server is recommended for sites on the DARPA Internet. Network addresses are specified in the conventional ``.'' (dot) notation using the inet_addr(3) routine from the Internet address manipula- tion library, inet(3). Host names may contain any printable character other than a field delimiter, newline, or comment character. FILES
/etc/hosts The hosts file resides in /etc. SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3), nsswitch.conf(5), ifconfig(8) Name Server Operations Guide for BIND. HISTORY
The hosts file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
December 25, 2013 BSD