Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bourne Shell - Problem with while loop variable scope. Post 302476452 by DaveRich on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 05:10:40 PM
Old 12-01-2010
Would there be anyway to do this without using temporary files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if loop problem in bourne shell

how to use if-loop in bourne shell with multiple conditions like follows if then commands fi it gives me an error test: ] missing then i put if ] it gives me an error [[ not found kindly i need the syntex for the bourne shell (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with shell variable's scope

Hi, I am stuck while developing a shell sub-routine which checks the log file for "success" or "failure". The subroutine reads the log file and checks for key word "success", if found it set the variable (found=1). It returns success or failure based on this variable. My problem is, I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop; scope of variables (shell)

If I set a variable within a while-read loop, sometimes it's local to the loop, sometimes it's global, depending on how the loop is set up. I'm testing this on a Debian Lenny system using both bash and dash with the same results. For example: # Pipe command into while-read loop count= ls -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjd_tech
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of a Variable inside shell script

hi all, i'm using the following script, Status=1 Function_do () { while read line; do if ; then #echo $line if ; then Status=0 echo " LINKINK ERROR " fi fi done < ldd.log } Function_do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on "for" loop in bourne shell

Hello Everyone.... I am trying to print a number sequence in following format using for loop. I am using a bourne shell. I tried following for loop condition but it is bash syntax. for (( i=0; i<=5; i++ )) It is giving syntax error. Kindly help with the syntax of "for"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Dynamic Variable Error

hi, I am trying to assign a value through 'read' and all works well until I have a space in the in putted value, for the life of me I cant figure out how to escape this. :wall: Any ideas? #!/bin/sh ask_question() { question_text="${1}"; question_answer=""; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redback
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see.

for (( i=1; i<=3; i++ )); do for (( j=1; j<=3; j++ )); do for (( k=1; k<=3; k++ )); do echo $i$j$k done done done Will the above code work on a BOURNE shell? As far as my understanding is, if I am writing the above code in a file..say lol.sh and then running it through the terminal using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save awk record field in bourne shell variable

Hello, I am trying to write a shell script that maintains the health of the passwd file. The goal is to check for duplicate usernames, UID's etc. I am able to find and sort out the UID and login names via awk (which I would like to use), but I can't figure out how to save the record field into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Learn4Life
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in bourne shell is not working

I have a loop with cases I am working on Bourne shell for file in *.${Today}*.csv *.${Today}*.txt\ do case ${file} in sun_detail) do something ;; sum) do something ;; mod) do something ;; *) do something ;; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
MAKEDEV.LOCAL(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  MAKEDEV.LOCAL(8)

NAME
MAKEDEV.local -- create site-specific device special files SYNOPSIS
MAKEDEV.local [-fMsu] [-m mknod] [-p pax] [-t mtree] {all | site-specific-argument} [...] DESCRIPTION
MAKEDEV.local is used to create site-specific device special files. Each argument may be the word all or a site-specific argument. By default, there are no valid site-specific arguments, and the all argument has no effect; This may be changed by editing the script. The script is in /dev/MAKEDEV.local. Devices are created in the current working directory; in normal use, MAKEDEV.local should be invoked with /dev as the current working directory. Supported options for MAKEDEV.local are the same as for MAKEDEV(8). FILES
/dev special device files directory /dev/MAKEDEV script that invokes MAKEDEV.local with the all argument. /dev/MAKEDEV.local script described in this man page SEE ALSO
config(1), intro(4), MAKEDEV(8), mknod(8) HISTORY
The MAKEDEV.local command appeared in 4.2BSD. Handling of the same command line options as MAKEDEV(8), and the use of MAKEDEV(8) as a func- tion library, was added in NetBSD 5.0. NOTES
The relationship between MAKEDEV.local and MAKEDEV(8) is complex: o If MAKEDEV(8) is invoked with the all or local argument, then it will invoke MAKEDEV.local as a child process, with options similar to those that were originally passed to MAKEDEV(8), and with the all argument. o MAKEDEV.local uses shell functions defined in MAKEDEV(8). This is done by loading MAKEDEV(8) using the shell ``.'' command, with the MAKEDEV_AS_LIBRARY variable set (to inform MAKEDEV(8) that it should behave as a function library, not as an independent program). BSD
August 6, 2011 BSD