Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bourne Shell - Problem with while loop variable scope. Post 302476431 by Corona688 on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 04:15:30 PM
Old 12-01-2010
You can't use read behind a chain of pipes because commands behind pipes will be in a seperate subshell.

When your pipe chain's wider than the screen it's time to rethink what you're doing, anyway. What's the exact output from last and what's the output you want from your program?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if loop problem in bourne shell

how to use if-loop in bourne shell with multiple conditions like follows if then commands fi it gives me an error test: ] missing then i put if ] it gives me an error [[ not found kindly i need the syntex for the bourne shell (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with shell variable's scope

Hi, I am stuck while developing a shell sub-routine which checks the log file for "success" or "failure". The subroutine reads the log file and checks for key word "success", if found it set the variable (found=1). It returns success or failure based on this variable. My problem is, I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while read loop; scope of variables (shell)

If I set a variable within a while-read loop, sometimes it's local to the loop, sometimes it's global, depending on how the loop is set up. I'm testing this on a Debian Lenny system using both bash and dash with the same results. For example: # Pipe command into while-read loop count= ls -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjd_tech
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of a Variable inside shell script

hi all, i'm using the following script, Status=1 Function_do () { while read line; do if ; then #echo $line if ; then Status=0 echo " LINKINK ERROR " fi fi done < ldd.log } Function_do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on "for" loop in bourne shell

Hello Everyone.... I am trying to print a number sequence in following format using for loop. I am using a bourne shell. I tried following for loop condition but it is bash syntax. for (( i=0; i<=5; i++ )) It is giving syntax error. Kindly help with the syntax of "for"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Dynamic Variable Error

hi, I am trying to assign a value through 'read' and all works well until I have a space in the in putted value, for the life of me I cant figure out how to escape this. :wall: Any ideas? #!/bin/sh ask_question() { question_text="${1}"; question_answer=""; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redback
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion about FOR LOOP syntax between Bourne and BASH shell. Please see.

for (( i=1; i<=3; i++ )); do for (( j=1; j<=3; j++ )); do for (( k=1; k<=3; k++ )); do echo $i$j$k done done done Will the above code work on a BOURNE shell? As far as my understanding is, if I am writing the above code in a file..say lol.sh and then running it through the terminal using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save awk record field in bourne shell variable

Hello, I am trying to write a shell script that maintains the health of the passwd file. The goal is to check for duplicate usernames, UID's etc. I am able to find and sort out the UID and login names via awk (which I would like to use), but I can't figure out how to save the record field into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Learn4Life
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop in bourne shell is not working

I have a loop with cases I am working on Bourne shell for file in *.${Today}*.csv *.${Today}*.txt\ do case ${file} in sun_detail) do something ;; sum) do something ;; mod) do something ;; *) do something ;; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
pipe(2) 							System Calls Manual							   pipe(2)

Name
       pipe - create an interprocess channel

Syntax
       include <limits.h> /*Definition of PIPE_MAX*/
       pipe(fildes)
       int fildes[2];

Arguments
       fildes	 Passing an address as an array of two integers into the system call.

Description
       The system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe.	The file descriptors returned can be used in and operations.  Their integer values
       will be the two lowest available at the time of the function call.  The O_NONBLOCK and FD_CLOEXEC flags will be clear on both file descrip-
       tors.

When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1], up to PIPE_MAX bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended.
       A read using the descriptor fildes[0] picks up the data.

It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent calls) pass data through  the
       pipe with and calls.

The shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes.

For further information on how and calls behave with pipes, see the and reference pages.

A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted.

Restrictions
       Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock may occur.

The  underlying	implementation	of  pipes is no longer socket based, but rather implemented through the file system.  Any application that
       needs socket functionality from pipes should use the system call.

Return Values
       The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if an error occurred.

Diagnostics
       The call fails if:

[EMFILE]       Too many descriptors are active.

[ENFILE]       The system file table is full.

[EFAULT]       The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space.

Environment
       Differs from the System V definition in that ENFILE is not a possible error condition.

See Also
       sh(1), fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), write(2)

pipe(2)