Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Booting a Sparcstation 5 with dead HD Post 302476416 by jrynd on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 03:58:30 PM
Old 12-01-2010
No, with a SPARCstation there is no "card" -- it's all on the mainboard (the "SCSI backplane"). There is no way to add termination; that is all handled for you.

http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/801-6393-11/801-6393-11.pdf

A very unorthodox way to implement SCSI but my guess is the idiotproofing is worth it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Lost password on a SPARCstation Voyager

Hi, I got hold of a SUN SPARCstation Voyager today, but I don't have the root password. I made a linux bootdisk and tried to sue that to edit the shadow file, but it comes up saying "magic number" (since it's not a UFS floppy). I haven't got any recovery disks for it, and no documentation. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KWManiac
5 Replies

2. Solaris

SPARCstation 5 broadcasting

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SPARCstation is broadcasting as boot server

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one. I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
2 Replies

4. Solaris

SparcStation 20 Crashed. Doesn't boot.

I have sparc Station 20 which is crashed and doesn't boot from the OK prompt except gives me bunch of errors. How can i retrieve my data from the root drive before go for re-installation. This system has Veritas Volume manager on it don't know the version but assume its 2.xxx. Thanks -Adeel (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal732
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Configuring TP Ethernet in SPARCstation 5 Solaris 8

Hey. i have been trying to configure the on board Ethernet in My Sparcstation 5, i have spent a lot of time on the ifconfig man pages. but it could really be nice with some pro. help. i don't think the interface is running . i don't know what name the interface have, le0 eth0 et0, it just says no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mads-nielsen
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! Sun SPARCstation 10

I picked up a handful of used SPARCstation10s & 20s and I would like to set it up. I connected a regular PC vga monitor using sun video adapter "1395-SUN". Everything seems to turn on fine...but I get this on the screen and there is absolutely nothing I can do to get out of it. Lost Carrier... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cc9911
7 Replies

7. Solaris

help about time and date on sparcstation

Hi all, I have one problem on my sparcstation20, time stops when I turn off my station, where is the problem? do u think is the NVRAM is crashed? ( for example, I turn off my station at 11:00, when I turn on the next day, I found time on 22:20)!!! please help me thank's for All (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: reda_lui
9 Replies

8. Solaris

SPARCSTATION 20 - No Video

I apologize in advance that this is probably more of a hardware question than a unix/software one. I've got a seemingly brand-new sparcstation 20 that came with 2 memory modules and that's about it. I've added a new 2 GB HDD and a VSIMM Onboard SX Graphics module. So, I assume with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ErikTheHAck
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remote use of a sparcstation

I am away from my Unix sparcstation and need to work on it remotely via a PC. I can open a PuTTy window and execute line commands. But I've forgotten how to be able to work on a graphical program, like xfig. I know there are some commands to enable this, but can't remember them. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leveson
6 Replies

10. Hardware

SparcStation 20 emulator

Hello, Just wanted to let interested people know that we've recently released a Linux freeware version of SparcStation 20 emulator. It emulates SS20 with some basic peripherals: a single SPARC V8 32bit CPU, up to 512MB RAM, an NCR53C94 SCSI controller, 2 serial lines, disks, a network adapter,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thlan
7 Replies
rarp(7P)							     Protocols								  rarp(7P)

NAME
rarp, RARP - Reverse address resolution protocol DESCRIPTION
You use the RARP protocol to map dynamically between the Internet Protocol (IP) and network interface MAC addresses. RARP is often used to boot a Solaris client. RARP clients include the SPARC boot PROM, x86 boot floppy, SunOS kernel, and ifconfig(1M). in.rarpd(1M) provides the server-side implementation. RARP request timeout behavior in application-layer clients is governed by the /etc/inet/rarp default file. To tune the number of retries an application attempts before giving up, set the RARP_RETRIES variable in /etc/inet/rarp. If the file is not present or RARP_RETRIES is not initialized within it, applications retry a maximum of five times with a eight second wait between retries. FILES
/etc/inet/rarp ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability (protocol) | Standard | +------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability (defaults file) | Unstable | +------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability (RARP_RETRIES) | Unstable | +------------------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), in.rarpd(1M), arp(7P) Reverse Address Resolution Protocol RFC 903. June, 1994 R. Finlayson, T. Mann, J.C. Mogul, M. Theimer SunOS 5.10 8 Nov 2001 rarp(7P)