Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can't change fully qualified host name Post 302476384 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 03:07:53 PM
Old 12-01-2010
Code:
::1     localhost
127.0.0.1       localhost
110.128.3.251    m4k-00      loghost m4k-00.foo.com
110.128.3.250    m4k-02      m4k-02.foo.com
110.128.232.201 m4k-00-san1

This is from a live /etc/hosts file for Solaris 10. Assuming your fqdn is correct, and you follow what I pasted, things should be okay. /etc/hosts is really a sym link to /etc/inet/hosts, correct?

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 08-01-2013 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Remove real data

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

find the fully-qualified path for the app my module is running in

Hi- I need the cpp call that will tell me the full path to the app I'm running in. For example, I'm running in a loaded library for either mozilla or firefox, but would like to know the full path to the executable /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/local/firefox1_5 etc... (For... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erwinfletch
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Hostname not fully qualified..

Hi Friends.. I have a small problem with the hostname of my system.I had installed Solaris 10 X86 on Vmware in my windows 2000 system.After booting of my solaris system,if i give check-hostname command it says ,, hostname is not fully qualified ,,change the hostname to hostname.xxx.xxxxxx.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
3 Replies

3. AIX

NIM host name change

Hi I have a NIM server on AIX 5.3.08.02. I had to change the host name and I now have nimsh connection issues to the NIM clients. All host files and DNS entries are correct with the new host name. I have tried editing the niminfo files on the NIM server and NIM clinet. I have tried removing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimyo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change $HOST in /etc/hosts

I want to change the following lines in /etc/hosts on FreeBSD: ::1 localhost localhost.my.domain 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain into the following lines ::1 localhost foo.example.com 127.0.0.1 localhost foo.example.com I have the following script to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

5. IP Networking

Unable to ping freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name

hi all. am unable to ping a freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name from a windows machine. i have already set the fqdn for the machine. plz advise me. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get fully qualified path name

hi actually i want to get fully qualified path name of the file when the file name is entered as command line argument while running a shell script ex. if i run the shell as $./test.sh ./nsdnet_file.csv the it should display me the full path of the file like /dialp/Release/bin/nsdnet_file.csv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
3 Replies

7. AIX

Single command to change the attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host

Hi, I would like to know if there is a command similar to scsimgr in HP-UX that can help me change the algorithm and reserve_policy attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host. Otherwise I would have to use, chdev -l hdiskX -a algorithm=round_robin reserve_policy=no_reserve in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

change password for multiple host

1-How can i change root password of 5 Fedora 11 machines (server1 server2 server3 server4 server5) with a single script , for example make password : 123456 NB. from server1 i can via ssh connect to the others machines without a password Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chang-lee
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Change from weak ssh host key to strong one

Hi, I got instructions from Security audit team for Solaris-10 server. They mentioned - "The sshd configuration on the host supported weak host keys and allowed password authentication on Solaris server. Enable stronger keys (2048 or 4096 bit)". I am not clear enough, what they mean by weak... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies
hosts(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  hosts(4)

NAME
hosts - host name data base DESCRIPTION
The file associates Internet (IP) addresses with official host names and aliases. This allows a user to refer to a host by a symbolic name instead of an Internet address. This file contain all addresses for local interfaces that needs at boot time (see ifconfig(1M)). When using the name server (see named(1M)), or Network Information Service (see ypserv(1M)), this file often serves as a backup when the server is not running. In such circumstances, it is a common practice for to contain a few addresses of machines on the local network. should contain a single line for each host with the following information: internet_address official_host_name aliases The internet_address can be an IPv4 or IPv6 address specified in the conventional Internet dot notation. See inet(3N) or inet6(3N) for more information on Internet address manipulation routines. aliases are other names by which a host is known. They can substitute for the official_host_name in most commands. For example: In this example, users can use remote login on by using the command: instead of If your system is in a domain naming environment, an official host name consists of the full domain extended host name. For example: (space or tab character). Items are separated by any number or combination of space or tab characters (blanks). A character indicates the beginning of a comment. Characters from the to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines that search the file. Trailing blanks are allowed at the end of a line. For the Internet, this file is normally created from the official host database maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), although local changes may be required to bring it up to date with respect to unofficial aliases and/or unknown hosts. Host names can contain any printable character other than a white space, newline, or comment character. EXAMPLES
See AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
gethostent(3N), inet(3N), nsswitch.conf(4). hosts(4)