Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can't change fully qualified host name Post 302476384 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 03:07:53 PM
Old 12-01-2010
Code:
::1     localhost
127.0.0.1       localhost
110.128.3.251    m4k-00      loghost m4k-00.foo.com
110.128.3.250    m4k-02      m4k-02.foo.com
110.128.232.201 m4k-00-san1

This is from a live /etc/hosts file for Solaris 10. Assuming your fqdn is correct, and you follow what I pasted, things should be okay. /etc/hosts is really a sym link to /etc/inet/hosts, correct?

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 08-01-2013 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Remove real data

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

find the fully-qualified path for the app my module is running in

Hi- I need the cpp call that will tell me the full path to the app I'm running in. For example, I'm running in a loaded library for either mozilla or firefox, but would like to know the full path to the executable /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/local/firefox1_5 etc... (For... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erwinfletch
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Hostname not fully qualified..

Hi Friends.. I have a small problem with the hostname of my system.I had installed Solaris 10 X86 on Vmware in my windows 2000 system.After booting of my solaris system,if i give check-hostname command it says ,, hostname is not fully qualified ,,change the hostname to hostname.xxx.xxxxxx.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
3 Replies

3. AIX

NIM host name change

Hi I have a NIM server on AIX 5.3.08.02. I had to change the host name and I now have nimsh connection issues to the NIM clients. All host files and DNS entries are correct with the new host name. I have tried editing the niminfo files on the NIM server and NIM clinet. I have tried removing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimyo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change $HOST in /etc/hosts

I want to change the following lines in /etc/hosts on FreeBSD: ::1 localhost localhost.my.domain 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain into the following lines ::1 localhost foo.example.com 127.0.0.1 localhost foo.example.com I have the following script to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

5. IP Networking

Unable to ping freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name

hi all. am unable to ping a freebsd machine using fully qualified domain name from a windows machine. i have already set the fqdn for the machine. plz advise me. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get fully qualified path name

hi actually i want to get fully qualified path name of the file when the file name is entered as command line argument while running a shell script ex. if i run the shell as $./test.sh ./nsdnet_file.csv the it should display me the full path of the file like /dialp/Release/bin/nsdnet_file.csv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
3 Replies

7. AIX

Single command to change the attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host

Hi, I would like to know if there is a command similar to scsimgr in HP-UX that can help me change the algorithm and reserve_policy attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host. Otherwise I would have to use, chdev -l hdiskX -a algorithm=round_robin reserve_policy=no_reserve in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

change password for multiple host

1-How can i change root password of 5 Fedora 11 machines (server1 server2 server3 server4 server5) with a single script , for example make password : 123456 NB. from server1 i can via ssh connect to the others machines without a password Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chang-lee
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Change from weak ssh host key to strong one

Hi, I got instructions from Security audit team for Solaris-10 server. They mentioned - "The sshd configuration on the host supported weak host keys and allowed password authentication on Solaris server. Enable stronger keys (2048 or 4096 bit)". I am not clear enough, what they mean by weak... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies
nisln(1)							   User Commands							  nisln(1)

NAME
nisln - symbolically link NIS+ objects SYNOPSIS
nisln [-L] [-D defaults] name linkname DESCRIPTION
The nisln command links a NIS+ object named name to a NIS+ name linkname. If name is an indexed name (see nismatch(1)), the link points to entries within a NIS+ table. Clients wishing to look up information in the name service can use the FOLLOW_LINKS flag to force the client library to follow links to the name they point to. Further, all of the NIS+ administration commands accept the -L switch indicating they should follow links (see nis_names(3NSL) for a description of the FOLLOW_LINKS flag). When creating the link, nisln verifies that the linked object exists. Once created, the linked object may be deleted or replaced and the link will not be affected. At that time, the link will become invalid and attempts to follow it will return NIS_LINKNAMEERROR to the client. When the path attribute in tables specifies a link rather than another table, the link will be followed if the flag FOLLOW_LINKS was present in the call to nis_list() (see nis_tables(3NSL)) and ignored if the flag is not present. If the flag is present and the link is no longer valid, a warning is sent to the system logger and the link is ignored. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -D defaults Specify a different set of defaults to be used for the creation of the link object. The defaults string is a series of tokens separated by colons. These tokens represent the default values to be used for the generic object properties. All of the legal tokens are described below. ttl=time This token sets the default time to live for objects that are created by this command. The value time is specified in the format as defined by the nischttl(1) command. The default is 12 hours. owner=ownername This token specifies that the NIS+ principal ownername should own the created object. The default for this value is the the principal who is executing the command. group=groupname This token specifies that the group groupname should be the group owner for the object that is created. The default is NULL. access=rights This token specifies the set of access rights that are to be granted for the given object. The value rights is speci- fied in the format as defined by the nischmod(1) command. The default value is ----rmcdr---r---. -L When present, this option specifies that this command should follow links. If name is itself a link, then this command will follow it to the linked object that it points to. The new link will point to that linked object rather than to name. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Creating a link In this example, we create a link in the domain foo.com. named hosts that points to the object hosts.bar.com.: example% nisln hosts.bar.com. hosts.foo.com. Example 2: Making a link that points to an entry in the hosts table In this example, we make a link example.foo.com. that points to an entry in the hosts table in eng.foo.com: example% nisln '[name=example],hosts.eng.foo.com.' example.foo.com. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
NIS_PATH If this variable is set, and the NIS+ name is not fully qualified, each directory specified will be searched until the object is found (see nisdefaults(1)). EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. 1 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nisdefaults(1), nismatch(1), nisrm(1), nistbladm(1), nis_names(3NSL), nis_tables(3NSL), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 nisln(1)