Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming A question regarding the gcc compiler ... Post 302476309 by Corona688 on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 11:44:38 AM
Old 12-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen_218
Wherein we also provide a path for nm to look into, isn't it?
If you don't know the library you want, gcc doesn't either. -L only tells gcc where to get files from, it still expects names given with -l for it to link anything at all. It never trawls. Of course trawling with nm is slower.
Quote:
There were times when I've used altogather a new APIs by just looking at header files declerations and searched the relevant *.a file path to be included into the makefile. gcc was extremely quick to locate the relevant libxxx.a file (out of a number of such archieves) to add the correct library without significantly impairing the overall build time.
It's still not psychic. It doesn't know that -lz means zlib, and doesn't know what symbols -lz is supposed to supply. It just knows that -lz means libz.a/libz.la/libz.so/etc. There is a 1:1 correlation between library names and library files, it doesn't have to hunt -- it already knows what it wants, which is precisely what you told it.

Meaning, if you can compile with gcc, you already know what exact file you want, which is of course more efficient than trawling hundreds of files hunting for a symbol.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc compiler / gcc

:confused: I have a question concerning gcc. IŽd like to install the gcc on my Mac OS X, but when I try to run the configure command I get the following message: floriant% ./configure ./configure: read-only variable: PWD Configuring for a powerpc-apple-darwin5.4 host. *** This configuration... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: florian.turck
2 Replies

2. Programming

gcc compiler

i write c++ code it run perfectely with g++ compiler but same code when i compile with GCC compiler it gives linker error , followed these linker error /tmp/ccfZtXOQ.o(.text+0x22): In function `main': conf_system.cpp: undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: munnu
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xl C/C++ compiler to GCC compiler

Hi, we are converting from IBM-AIX(xl c/c++ compiler) to Linux(GCC complier). As a part of this i need to change the CFLAGS. The xl c/c++ complier CFLAGS is CFLAGS := $(CDEBUG) $(PROJECT_INCLUDE_DIRS) $(COBJECT_MODE) -qcpluscmt -qmakedep -qcheck=all \ -qalign=bit_packed $(LINT_FLAGS)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbattu1
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gcc compiler ---querry

i am newbie my querry is if i am having a gcc compiler which has been a native build with a particular version of binutilities..then when i will use this compiler to build other packages ..then in the linking stage which linker it will use if i do not set my path. ...will it uses by default... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
0 Replies

5. Solaris

gcc compiler uninstallation

OS : UNIX SUN SOLARIS 10 I installed gcc - 3.4.2 in sun solaris 10 unix machine. But i need to install gcc 2.7.2.3 now. Do i need to uninstall gcc-3.4.2 and install gcc - 2.7.2.3 or can i directly install gcc 2.7.2.3 without uninstalling gcc 3.4.2. I used pkgadd -d command to install gcc. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

gcc compiler

where to download gcc compiler for ubuntu? how to install? how to build and run "c programs"? screen shots if possible.....:b::D tutorials too:cool: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: villanarun
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

gcc compiler

I am using open suse linux. I want to install gcc compiler in my machine. I ahve checked man gcc and man cc. But it's not there. Can someone help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
4 Replies

8. Programming

gcc compiler

Which gcc compiler release had the Arm 9 multicore support?Whether the compiler that used for the single Arm 9 core can be used for its multicore systems ? If gcc not support,please tell me which are the compilers that are available for Arm 9 multicore systems (including commerical).Whether... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujith4u87
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc compiler and gcc compiler

hi, can we install gcc compiler in unix based OS(sun solar,IBM AIX,HP,etc) and also can we install sun cc compiler in AIX environment and vice versa. and more ..is linux support cc compiler regards Ajay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
3 Replies
GPE-QUESTION(1) 						   gpe-question 						   GPE-QUESTION(1)

NAME
gpe-question - GPE interface for asking questions from shell scripts. SYNOPSIS
gpe-question [---icon] name {--question "Question text"} {--buttons icon1:text1} [icon2:text2 ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian(TM) distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. gpe-question provides dialogues to raise a question within the GPE Palmtop Environment with cancel and ok buttons. OPTIONS
--question STRING The question to ask the user via the dialogue. --buttons type:label The type and label of the button(s) to be shown. Repeat for additional buttons. EXAMPLES
gpe-question "test" --question "Do you want to check first?" --buttons YES:yes NO:no AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> for the Debian(TM) system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. AUTHOR
Moray Allen Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Neil Williams Debian 1 January 16, 2007 GPE-QUESTION(1)