Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What are pseudo-tty devices? Is my /etc/securetty file contains any? Post 302476274 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 09:33:25 AM
Old 12-01-2010
yes it is a pseudo device.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to programm TTY devices under UNIX platform?

Dear Export, I want to begin an serial-communication application codes associated with TTY devices. But I don't know what key settings should be concerned after opening a TTY device file under UNIX plarform(SunOS 5.7)? Could you give me some adivce? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: WayneYang
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pseudo TTy on Sco

I need to be able to set the terminal emulation type assigned to the ttyp. How do I go about doing so? Noob needing help. Thanks Rurki (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rurki
1 Replies

3. Solaris

pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.info] pseudo-device: vol0

Hi I have a system that gave me some messages on bootup that I was not used to seeing: pseudo: pseudo-device: vol0 genunix: vol0 is /pseudo/vol@0 these came with these: Feb 13 17:42:17 system1 eri: SUNW,eri0 : 100 Mbps full duplex link up Feb 13 17:42:21 system1sendmail: My unqualified... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mndavies
0 Replies

4. Solaris

what is /devices/pseudo/ ??

Hi all, what does this mean? if then <something> fi here is what i know.. it checks if the specified argument no($devid) in some function call is made into a block device and then proceeds with the execution of the loop. However am not understand what lofi@0:means? also is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

6. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto Ftp pseudo random file

I have a script that generates a file which is my own incarnation of a date using the 'date' function (we'll call this script a). I would like that script to invoke my other script (script b) which contains my ftp info. Since I have yet to figure out a good way to use regular ftp (yes i can only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

etc/Securetty

Hey, Can someone help me with what the vcx and console entries in /etc/Securetty file are? I understand that tty is the terminal that we usually login to using Ctrl+Alt+Fx. Not sure of the vcx and console entries. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prithvirao17
0 Replies

9. Solaris

/devices/pseudo/md - detecting problems?

Got an informix DB that won't start because DB chunk is offline. Its a raw device. See below:- lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Feb 6 2013 /dev/DB -> /devices/pseudo/md@0:0,10,raw How do I tell what that refers to? I've checked metadb and metastat and cant see any issues? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
PTY(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    PTY(4)

NAME
pty -- BSD-style compatibility pseudo-terminal driver SYNOPSIS
device pty DESCRIPTION
The pty driver provides support for the traditional BSD naming scheme that was used for accessing pseudo-terminals. When the device /dev/ptyXX is being opened, a new terminal shall be created with the pts(4) driver. A device node for this terminal shall be created, which has the name /dev/ttyXX. New code should not try to allocate pseudo-terminals using this interface. It is only provided for compatibility with older C libraries that tried to open such devices when posix_openpt(2) was being called. FILES
The BSD-style compatibility pseudo-terminal driver uses the following device names: /dev/pty[l-sL-S][0-9a-v] Pseudo-terminal master devices. /dev/tty[l-sL-S][0-9a-v] Pseudo-terminal slave devices. DIAGNOSTICS
None. SEE ALSO
posix_openpt(2), pts(4), tty(4) HISTORY
A pseudo-terminal driver appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Unlike previous implementations, the master slave device nodes are destroyed when the PTY becomes unused. A call to stat(2) on a nonexistent master device will already cause a new master device node to be created. The master device can only be destroyed by opening and closing it. The pty driver cannot be unloaded, because it cannot determine if it is being used. BSD
August 20, 2008 BSD