Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recursively UNTARing and then TARing back Post 302476240 by exchequer598 on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 07:24:40 AM
Old 12-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Presumably you type more than just two "tar" lines.
Well, a couple of tar lines, for each nested TAR file. Once everything is extracted, we run our script. Once it replaces everything, we put back everything into TARs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

untaring multiple files

Hi, i'm pretty new to unix and shell scripting and i need to untar a load of files all with different names e.g. YAAN00.V404.T13467.tar, YAAN00.V404.T15623.tar etc with the .T* part following no particular series. I tried to untar them in a script using simply tar -xvf YAAN00.V404.T*.tar ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinceboy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move files while Taring..

Hi, When I run the following command the files get TAR but the files in the folder remain intact. tar -cvf TARZIP.10 Nov09/ Is there any way to move them into the folder than just copying them. Thanks and regards, Gideon. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
2 Replies

3. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

TARing multiple files at once

Hi guys, I'm trying to write a quick script to archive off some data once a week. So far I have got; DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d` TARFILE=${DATE}.tar for file in `find /usr/local/DATA/in -mtime +6`; do tar -czvf ${TARFILE} ${file}; done The problem I have is it is going through the results... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Taring the all the folderand move into another server

I Need to run a Unix Aix Shell Script should contains 1)Find all the folders in the directory /fss/fin. 2)Tar the Folders. 3)Move the Tar folders into another directory /fs/fi which in server .s11003232sz.net 4)When user requests untar the Folders and move it back to the orignal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreekumar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taring 2 dir together

Hello everyone, I am trying to tar 2 directories together in KSH. tar -cvf temptarfile.tar scripts tar -cvf temptarfile.tar scripts.2 I need all the files in scripts and scripts.2 to be in one tar file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BrutalBryan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem untaring gzip

I'm having an issue extracting my tar.gz file. I am trying to compress all directories based on their last modified date (particularly their last modified month), and move them to a different directory by month. When I run my script everything seems to work ok and my compressed file gets moved to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Untaring the Tar files Script

I have written a below script to untar the tar files from /tmp/tarfiles/ directory. # cat /tmp/tarfiles/script.sh #!/bin/sh cd /tmp/tarfiles/ TFL="tar_files_list.txt" TCF="tar_completed_list.txt" ls -l *.tar | awk '{print $9}' > $TFL for i in `cat $TFL` do if then for j in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command not taring all files

I am just creating tar.gz file with comand tar -zcvf xyz.tar.gz /home/xyz/* xyz folder contains thousands of files mostly .c, .cpp, etc.. I see that many times all the files are not zipped. Many files(in hundreds) are abruptly left out. What may be the reason for this and how to resolve... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
10 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)