Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recursively UNTARing and then TARing back Post 302476238 by methyl on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 07:20:38 AM
Old 12-01-2010
Quote:
I've just finished writing a shell script that searches for a string recursively in all text files and replace them with another string. Now, all these files come from a location nested deep within some TAR files which are inside another mother TAR.

To make my script work, we had been UNTARing all these TAR files, running the search/replace, then TARing them back. How do I automate this step too by a shell script?
Presumably you type more than just two "tar" lines.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

untaring multiple files

Hi, i'm pretty new to unix and shell scripting and i need to untar a load of files all with different names e.g. YAAN00.V404.T13467.tar, YAAN00.V404.T15623.tar etc with the .T* part following no particular series. I tried to untar them in a script using simply tar -xvf YAAN00.V404.T*.tar ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinceboy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move files while Taring..

Hi, When I run the following command the files get TAR but the files in the folder remain intact. tar -cvf TARZIP.10 Nov09/ Is there any way to move them into the folder than just copying them. Thanks and regards, Gideon. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
2 Replies

3. AIX

back to back printing in UNIX

Hi , Can you suggest me how to back to back printing in UNIX? Is there any way? Kindly advise. Regards Vijaya Amirtha Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

Back-to-Back Connection using HBAs

Hi every body, Is it possible to connect two servers Back-to-Back (Point-to-Point) using HBA adapters & using Fiber. Note it is direct connection & there is no switches between the servers. I'm concern about using HBA adapters, it is possible or not. Thanks in advance. :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

TARing multiple files at once

Hi guys, I'm trying to write a quick script to archive off some data once a week. So far I have got; DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d` TARFILE=${DATE}.tar for file in `find /usr/local/DATA/in -mtime +6`; do tar -czvf ${TARFILE} ${file}; done The problem I have is it is going through the results... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Taring the all the folderand move into another server

I Need to run a Unix Aix Shell Script should contains 1)Find all the folders in the directory /fss/fin. 2)Tar the Folders. 3)Move the Tar folders into another directory /fs/fi which in server .s11003232sz.net 4)When user requests untar the Folders and move it back to the orignal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreekumar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taring 2 dir together

Hello everyone, I am trying to tar 2 directories together in KSH. tar -cvf temptarfile.tar scripts tar -cvf temptarfile.tar scripts.2 I need all the files in scripts and scripts.2 to be in one tar file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BrutalBryan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem untaring gzip

I'm having an issue extracting my tar.gz file. I am trying to compress all directories based on their last modified date (particularly their last modified month), and move them to a different directory by month. When I run my script everything seems to work ok and my compressed file gets moved to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in Untaring the Tar files Script

I have written a below script to untar the tar files from /tmp/tarfiles/ directory. # cat /tmp/tarfiles/script.sh #!/bin/sh cd /tmp/tarfiles/ TFL="tar_files_list.txt" TCF="tar_completed_list.txt" ls -l *.tar | awk '{print $9}' > $TFL for i in `cat $TFL` do if then for j in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command not taring all files

I am just creating tar.gz file with comand tar -zcvf xyz.tar.gz /home/xyz/* xyz folder contains thousands of files mostly .c, .cpp, etc.. I see that many times all the files are not zipped. Many files(in hundreds) are abruptly left out. What may be the reason for this and how to resolve... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
10 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)