Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing date with a variable in a file Post 302476184 by RRVARMA on Wednesday 1st of December 2010 04:25:54 AM
Old 12-01-2010
Question replacing date with a variable in a file

Hi,

I've a variable for example..
Code:
ACTIVATION_DATE=2010-11-11

(the date above is a result of a sql query and not hardcoded)

now there is another file (test_2.parm) where there are many variables predefined..
Code:
REG_CODE=111
ACT_DATE=2010-10-10
CAN_DATE=8888-31-12

Now I want to search for "ACT_DATE=" in test_2.parm and replace the date there with the date in "ACTIVATION_DATE".. something like tis..

Code:
REG_CODE=111
ACT_DATE=$ACTIVATION_DATE
CAN_DATE=8888-31-12

I tried with few awk n sed scripts but none worked.. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
RRVARMA

Last edited by Franklin52; 12-01-2010 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Replacing all date & time occurrences in a file with a string using Sed

Hi, I am new to using Sed. I have a file containg lines like the following: INFORM----Test.pc:168:10/11/05 12:34:26 > some text goes here.. TRACE-----Test.pc:197:10/11/05 12:34:26 > some text goes here.. My requirement is to replace 10/11/05 12:34:26 with a string <RUNDATE> (including <... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hema_M
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed command ( Replacing a pattern inside a file with a variable value )

Hello, The following sed command is giving error sed: -e expression #1, char 13: unknown option to `s' The sed command is echo "//-----" | sed "s/\/\/---*/$parChk/g" where parChk="//---ee-" How can i print the variable value from sed command ? And is it possible to replace a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a date and replacing with another date

I have a text file that i want to search through and pick out any dates that are formatted like MM/DD/YYYY and replace them with a date i want like 10/29/2009. any idea show i would do this?:) Snapshot of my text file: test4>s44syd5172>070>528>ENU>nongnuan>wanrawee>sr2330532>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: infiant
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file and replacing the special character in the name with date

HI all, How can i rename some files and replace the special character in the name with todays date ex: Name#file1.txt Name#file2.txt to be renamed as Name.20091119.file1.txt Name.20091119.file2.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
11 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How do I get at the modification date for a file as a variable for a script?

I realize this is basic and probably obvious, but I'm pulling my hair out. I'm guessing this is just some flag on the file command or somesuch, but I can't find it. Help me get unstuck please? EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is once I've got the ls -l output for a file, what command do I use to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timespike
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing / by - in date

Dear Friends, Following is manupulated output of our script. e.g. lkme_lpst 2 Pur_dt 31/12/2011 bl_dt 01/02/2011 rt_dt 02/02/2011 prod_btch 19/1452147-5210 We further want to manupulate it and want to replace / by - i.e. Lkme_lpst 2 Pur_dt 31-12-2011 bl_dt 01-02-2011... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to another file and replacing

Hi all, I have a script in file1 which gets input from the user say variable "TYPE". This variable is present in the other file2. I want to replace the variable in the file2 with the value given by the user and print the file. How can I achieve this task? file1 code echo "Give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search file for a date variable?

Hello, I'm trying to write a ksh script which will allow me to to search for yesterday's date within a rtf file. I just need someway to know if the date is in the file, echo results to a text file, and then mail that out. The format of the date is mm/dd/yyyy. I had to make a variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronan1219
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Date in the file with Create date and timestamp

Hello, I have files that with a naming convention as shown below. Some of the files have dates in the file name and some of them don't have dates in the file name. imap-hp-import-20150917.txt imap-dell-gec-import-20150901.txt imap-cvs-import-20150915.txt imap-gec-import.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Commands needed for replacing variable number of spaces with a single , in a txt file

Hi I want to read a text file and replace various number of spaces between each string in to a single "," or any other character .Please let me know the command to do so. My input file is a txt file which is the output of a SQL table extract so it contains so many spaces between each column of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari Prasanth
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)