Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Gnome session reverts back to gdm on login. Post 302476111 by runfaj on Tuesday 30th of November 2010 09:46:39 PM
Old 11-30-2010
Well....they are definitely different. The account i'm on right now has limited access (e.g. no sudo access), and the list is fairly simple. The account i can't get into though has a set showing the standard details and (i assume) the functions for every terminal command. what things should i be comparing?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User login session

Having a problem on AIX 4.3.3 with the following error when more than 2 users try and sign onto the server. 3004-312 All available login sessions are in use. ???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Docboyeee
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a Help Please- Login a reflectionX session but what you type is not what you get

Im having a problem using unix program client ReflectionX. as soon as i login to one session i type to change to any directory or type something but the problem is that what i type in is not what you get. ie i type: $cd ~/alejo (to change HOME DIRECTORY - alejo subdirectory but when i type it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
2 Replies

3. Linux

Launch application in gnome session of another user.

A gnome session is launched by UserA of System A, I am connected to userB of System B(or A) through PUTTY. I want to launch an application for eg: gedit through Putty in the display of system A. how can I achieve this. for eg:- root is logged in to System A, with gdm. DISPLAY=0.0, ip =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
4 Replies

4. Solaris

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10 respectively through xmanager as a nis user, I am able to login in common desktop , but gnome session its not allowing , when I have given login credentials, its coming back to login screen, what shoul I do to allow nis... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record login session...

How to record my login session in a file named session.lst? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anupdas
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining if session is a login session

Besides 'who am i' and 'tty' what commands could be used to determine if a session is interactive as compared to a web process or cron process. Any command should work with the common unix variants. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Gnome goes blank after login for a particular user

Hi All, My Gnome screen goes blank after login happened for a particular user,the gnome is working fine for all other user in the box,please help me out on this ,it was working fine from yesterday but all of a sudden it goes blank . (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: malickhat
11 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Changing an image between grub and GDM Login

Sorry. I know this has been asked before but I am not finding anything that works and after a couple of days I am getting frustrated. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 i386 I know how to change the Grub menu image. I have the login screen image and theme changed as well with GDM. What I am trying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nix_Cola
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How are environment variables defined in a Gnome terminal session?

Hello... and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me with my question! I'm hoping someone will have a little patience with me and walk me through this! I'm trying to understand a user login process on Centos 7 and I've gotten a bit confused trying to figure out when/how a Gnome... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
4 Replies
gdm-restart(1m)                                                    User Commands                                                   gdm-restart(1m)

NAME
gdm-restart, gdm-safe-restart, gdm-stop - stop or restart GDM SYNOPSIS
gdm-restart gdm-safe-restart gdm-stop DESCRIPTION
gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a HUP signal to the GDM daemon. This command immediately terminates all sessions and logs out users currently logged in with GDM. gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a USR1 signal to the GDM daemon. GDM is restarted as soon as all users log out. gdm-stop stops GDM by sending a TERM signal to the GDM daemon. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gdm-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM /usr/bin/gdm-safe-restarExecutable to stop and restart GDM safely /usr/bin/stop Executable to stop GDM ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-display-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gdm(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdmconfig(1m) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 gdm-restart(1m)