Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change NIC speed
Operating Systems Solaris change NIC speed Post 302475884 by hergp on Tuesday 30th of November 2010 07:53:25 AM
Old 11-30-2010
The way to do this depends on the type of NIC you are using.

For some types you make entries in /etc/systems, like these to set all qfe-interfaces to 100 MBit Fullduplex.

Code:
set qfe:qfe_adv_autoneg_cap = 0
set qfe:qfe_adv_100fdx_cap = 1
set qfe:qfe_adv_100hdx_cap = 0
set qfe:qfe_adv_10fdx_cap = 0
set qfe:qfe_adv_10hdx_cap = 0
set qfe:qfe_adv_100T4_cap = 0

If you have ce interfaces, entries in /etc/system do not work. You have to create an init-script like this (which sets only ce0 to 100 MBit Full) and make sure, it is run at system boot.

Code:
ndd -set /dev/ce instance 0
ndd -set /dev/ce adv_1000fdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/ce adv_1000hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/ce adv_100fdx_cap 1
ndd -set /dev/ce adv_100hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/ce adv_10fdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/ce adv_10hdx_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/ce adv_autoneg_cap 0

Some NICs can't even be configured using the ndd command. Instead you have to make entries in the driver's config file under /kernel/drv. The format of these entries is driver dependent.

Consult the NICs documentation or places on the internet (like this forum) to find out, which kind of configuration is supported and which not.

Finally: please use interface fixation only as a last resort. Autonegotiation is today's technology and for gigabit ethernet it is mandatory anyway.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to check Virtual NIC card speed on solaris

Hi, We have a 4 port Sun gigaswift NIC card on our sun fire server. If the card is a physical one I know how to check the settings/speed. But since this is a virtual card with 4 ports , I am not sure as how we can check the settings. Details ----------- root:/> ifconfig -a lo0:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pray44u
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun box's NIC speed setting

Is there a way to check if my Sun box's network interface card is set to 10 or 100 Mbps? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIC and Device NO to Change

I am a beginer in unix . I would like to know what is the command in orser to change NIC and Device NO (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilias Kappatos
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

NIC speed 100M/full duplex problem

I have a TOSHIBA AS7000 B150 Sun Box I wanted to run it with 100M/full duplex I had added this to the /etc/system file to make to setting permenant So it would be set correctly on reboot. set eri:eri_adv_100fdx_cap=1 set eri:eri_adv_100hdx_cap=0 set eri:eri_adv_autoneg_cap=0 But when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Change speed on network card

I recently learned that Sun Solaris network cards (ce devices) have problems with ndd -get commands. I did some searching and found out about the netstat -k command to show me the link speed. What is the best way to change the link speed (both one time and permanently)? I am running Solaris 9... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
7 Replies

6. Linux

changing speed of NIC Card in linux

Hi, I would like to know how to change the speed of ethernet card in linux? as it is showing auto-neg using mii-tool -v eth0 and my requirement is 100mbps full duplex. Regards, Manoj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to change Speed Duplex

How to change Speed Duplex ! How to change Speed Duplex by command chdev -P -l ent1 -a media_speed=1000_Full_Duplex How to change Speed Duplex by Smitty . smitty chgenet -> select adapter -> change Media speed etc. -> set "Apply change to DATABASE only" to yes -> Enter -> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determine the ethernet (NIC) card speed.

Hi, Does anyone know how can I determine the maximum capable speed on a network interface card for different OS like HP, Sun, AIX and Linux. I am aware of the tool "ethtool" which can be used for Linux. Are there any handly commands or /proc files where I can get this info depending on the OS.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devtakh
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Supporting NIC speed

Hi, I have few Solaris (9 and 10) servers, whose consoles are running on 10 MBPs. Now, Network team is changing their switch, which doesn't support 10 MBPs and we need to check if console all of those servers will support 100MBPs or more. Is there any way to check supported (or maximum supported)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Finding speed of NIC Card

Hi, I would like to know how to find out ACTUAL speed of NIC Card. I have used the command ethtool eth0, it is showing supported modes, but what is acutal speed ? how to find out? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies
lan_config(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     lan_config(8)

NAME
lan_config - Modifies low-level configuration parameters for a given LAN interface SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lan_config -i interface_name [-a [0 | 1]] [-m [aui | bnc | utp | fiber]] [-s [10 | 100]] [-x [0 | 1]] OPTIONS
Changes the specified characteristics for interface_name. You must provide an interface name. Enables (1) or disables (0) IEEE 802.3u autonegotiation. This option applies only to those devices that are capable of autonegotiation (for example, DE500-AA and DE500-BA). When enabled, the interface automatically negotiates the link speed (10 or 100 Mb/s) and the mode (half-duplex or full-duplex) with the remote interface. The interface initially advertises the speed and mode previously selected at the console level or with the -s and -x options. The -s and -x options may also be specified on the same command line as the -a option to redefine and renegotiate the interface's capa- bility (when enabled) or to force the interface at a certain configuration (when disabled). Note The interface initiates the autonegotiation process only if and when it is up and running. See ifconfig(8) for information on how the interface is marked up. Changes the type of medium. The following table lists the supported types: -------------------------------------------------------------- Type Meaning -------------------------------------------------------------- aui 10Base5, or thick wire bnc 10Base2, or ThinWire utp 10BaseT (if speed is 10 Mb/s) or 100BaseT (if speed is 100 Mb/s), or twisted-pair fiber 100BaseFX only -------------------------------------------------------------- On some devices, for example, DE435 and DE425, bnc selection is done by means of an on-board gang jumper. When specifying aui or bnc for these devices, be sure that the jumper is in the correct position. Changes the medium speed, if the interface is capable of operating at both regular (10 Mb/s) and fast (100 Mb/s) Ethernet speeds. The fast speed cannot be selected for the aui and bnc media. Enables (1) or disables (0) full-duplex operation when the utp medium is specified. DESCRIPTION
The lan_config command allows you to modify the type of medium, speed, and mode of operation (half- or full-duplex). You can also use the lan_config command to enable or disable autonegotiation, if the underlying device has this capability. Autonegotia- tion is a hardware and software (driver) process that allows determination of the highest common speed and duplex (half or full) configura- tion. The permitted combinations of speed and mode of operation in descending order of precedence, from the highest to the lowest, are: ----------------------- Speed Mode ----------------------- 100 Mb/s full-duplex 100 Mb/s half-duplex 10 Mb/s full-duplex 10 Mb/s half-duplex ----------------------- During autonegotiation, for example, if the local interface advertises that it is capable of 100 Mb/s half-duplex operation, it is by implication also capable of 10 Mb/s, full-duplex and 10 Mb/s, half-duplex operation. If the remote interface advertises that it is capable of 10 Mb/s, full-duplex operation only, the link is established at 10 Mb/s, full-duplex. The autonegotiation process can take several sec- onds to complete. The characteristics managed with the lan_config command are ordinarily set from the console level via the EWx0_MODE environment variable. The lan_config command allows you to override this default and configure the interface as needed after the system is up and running. Modifications made with the lan_config command do not persist across reboots of the operating system. You can also use the ifconfig command to set the speed and mode (half- or full-duplex) either from the command line or in the /etc/rc.local file. If you specify the command in the rc.local file, the command is executed each time the system is booted; you do not have to modify the SRM console environment variables. RESTRICTIONS
Support for the lan_config command is limited to the tu interface for this release of Tru64 UNIX. EXAMPLES
To switch from aui or bnc to utp full-duplex operation on tu0, enter: lan_config -i tu0 -m utp -x 1 To disable full-duplex operation on tu0, enter: lan_config -i tu0 -x 0 To enable autonegotiation on tu1, limiting capability to 100 Mb/s, enter: lan_config -i tu1 -a 1 -s 100 -x 0 To disable autonegotiation on tu1, forcing 10 Mb/s, half-duplex operation, enter: lan_config -i tu1 -a 0 -s 10 -x 1 SEE ALSO
Commands: ifconfig(8) Files: inet.local(4) Interfaces: tu(7) lan_config(8)