Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SOLVED] how to use my aliases in a bash script Post 302475636 by xib.be on Monday 29th of November 2010 03:46:47 PM
Old 11-29-2010
[SOLVED] how to use my aliases in a bash script

Hi,
I confess to be stuck ...
as explained here
Aliases - Bash Reference Manual
I added
Code:
shopt -s expand_aliases

to my script ... but it didn't work.
Later I've read I had to add this at the begning of my my script :
Code:
. ~/.bash_aliases

(of course my aliases are in this file)
but again, the alias command is not found in my script ...

any helps would be welcome.

(please avoid saying I shouldn't use aliases in scripts ... I KNOW IT Smilie )

---------- Post updated at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:52 PM ----------

ok I found my mistake... it was because I used an alias in a variable ... and this doesn't simply work in bash ...

Last edited by xib.be; 11-29-2010 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: solved

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing aliases within a shell script

I am not able to access the aliases in my environment within a Python script. If I pass the alias to os.system(), I get a message saying "sh: x: not found". I've tried sourcing my .bashrc file in the script, but this does not work. I would perfer not to source my or any rc file because this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of aliases from shell script

Hi I have to execute the commands in .aliases file from a shell script I tried 1.giving the alias directly in shell script 2.Giving the actually "value of alias" in the shell script 3. I tried giving both steps 1 and 2 inside ` quotes Still nothing is working . It says command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Aliases in a script

Hi all, I have and alias set in .profile like alias ll='ls -la' I am writing a shell script in which i am using "ll" but it gives command not found . Can anyone please tell me how source aliases in the script we write do i need to define it again in every script i write is there any oher... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash aliases and command chaining with ; (semi-colon)

What am I doing wrong here? Or is this not possible? A bug? alias f='find . >found 2>/dev/null &' f ; sleep 20 ; ls -l -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: star_man
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Output in bash script not captured in variable

I'm tring to write down a simple script that would execute a command and wait until it returns a specific result. This is what i did: bjobs_out=`bjobs` while ]; do bjobs_out=`bjobs` sleep 6 done It seems to work until the command 'jobs' return the list of jobs in execution, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifedj
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Using SSH in bash script

Hello, I am writing a script that has to log in to X number of servers over a full C class range. I am only keyed on a certain number of these servers and this can change from time to time. The part of my script that deals with this is for i in $(cat $server_list); do ssh ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

[Solved] Aliases in HP-UX

Hi folks, How can I make an alias in HP-UX? I've tried to add something just like this bye='exit' (as example), the system accepted but when I write bye in the terminal its return with invalid command. When I make such alias in RedHat or Fedora the system accept it right there, what is the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Unable to call a python script from bash

Hi, I am trying to run a python script embedded in bash script. But is throwing me an error. Please help. Script: #!/bin/bash nohup /usr/bin/python /opt/web/http.py & Error: /usr/bin/python: can't open file '/opt/web/http.py': No such file or directory Please help me on this. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddy26615
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Grep in bash script

Hi Experts, I'm writing script to find out last files and its modified date - unfortunately am having problem with the below script. Error message: "grep: sales.txt: No such file or directory" #!/bin/bash var=1 var1=`awk '{n++} END {print n}' sales.txt` while ] do prod=$var... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: parpaa
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aliases NOT working inside bash shell script

i have defined a function ln_s() for customizing the ln command in script1.sh. more script1.sh echo "Starting Execution" ./script2.sh echo "End of Execution" ln_s(){ ] && return ln -s "$1" "$2" } My script1.sh executes another script2.sh which has the following entry more script2.sh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
12 Replies
BASHBUG(1)							      bashbug								BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--help] [--version] [bug-report-email-addresses] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a utility for reporting bugs in Bash to the maintainers. bashbug will start up your preferred editor with a preformatted bug report template for you to fill in. Save the file and quit the editor once you have completed the missing fields. bashbug will notify you of any problems with the report and ask for confirmation before sending it. By default the bug report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. The recipients can be changed by giving a comma separated list of bug-report-email-addresses. If you invoke bashbug by accident, just quit your editor. You will always be asked for confirmation before a bug report is sent. OPTIONS
--help Show a brief usage message and exit. --version Show the version of bashbug and exit. bug-report-email-addresses Comma separated list of recipients' email addresses. By default the report is mailed to both the GNU developers and the Debian Bash maintainers. ENVIRONMENT
DEFEDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report. EDITOR Editor to use for editing the bug report (overridden by DEFEDITOR). SEE ALSO
bash(1), reportbug(1), update-alternatives(8) for preferred editor. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christer Andersson <klamm@comhem.se> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). GNU Bash 3.1 11 December 2007 BASHBUG(1)