Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: the difference is?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers the difference is? Post 302475475 by DoxieLvr on Monday 29th of November 2010 01:26:58 AM
Old 11-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen_218
I guess, its usually ignored by the bash. Its there, where I too have observed similarly, specially while specifying paths (in Linux commands) when mis-typed to put multiple / (i.e. // or even /// ) Smilie

My feeling has been that bash parses them to make only one '/' in the command parameters. There is no difference otherwise. It's just a feature in bash not available in other older shells like sh, where, I hope, you'd get an error for such mis-types.
Actually, AFAIK, system calls such as open(2) ignore consecutive slashes. I don't think this has anything to do with shells, and I wouldn't expect a shell to modify or complain about consecutive slashes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where is the difference?

Hello I would like to know where there is a difference between these two machines? HP9000-735/125 HP9000-B132L What does that all mean? Okay, HP= Hewlett Packard But 9000, 725/125, B132L ???? I am asking that question because I am about to buy one for myself, so I can have some fun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fwurm
3 Replies

2. Linux

what is the difference between -h and -H ?

samba:/home/backup # df -h /home/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb2 34G 8.6G 26G 26% /home samba:/home/backup # df -H /home/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb2 37GB 9.2GB 28GB 26% /home what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cw1972
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between $* and $@

Somebody please tell me the difference between $@ and $* Thanks in advance. Saneesh Joseph (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

difference

difference b/w shell scripting and perl scripting (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simmijaswal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 1,$ and /g

just wondering what the difference is between 1,$ and /g when doing a substitution in vi. doesn't seem to be much difference from what i can see. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigubosu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between

$x=10 and providing the spaces between = and 10 $x= 10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashank1311
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between sh and ./

Hi All Can any body please tell me what is difference between sh scr ./scr Here scr is a script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get difference

Hi .. I am trying to create one function. It will have two arguments. Argument1: a,b,d,f,g Argument2:21212,sfsd,4546,67867,a,asda,b So the output will be Argument1 - Argument2 which is d,f,g Can anyone help with this one? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
sulog(4)							   File Formats 							  sulog(4)

NAME
sulog - su command log file SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/sulog DESCRIPTION
The sulog file is a record of all attempts by users on the system to execute the su(1M) command. Each time su(1M) is executed, an entry is added to the sulog file. Each entry in the sulog file is a single line of the form: SU date time result port user-newuser where date The month and date su(1M) was executed. date is displayed in the form mm/dd where mm is the month number and dd is the day number in the month. time The time su(1M) was executed. time is displayed in the form HH/MM where HH is the hour number (24 hour system) and MM is the minute number. result The result of the su(1M) command. A ` + ' sign is displayed in this field if the su attempt was successful; otherwise a ` - ' sign is displayed. port The name of the terminal device from which su(1M) was executed. user The user id of the user executing the su(1M) command. newuser The user id being switched to with su(1M). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample sulog file. Here is a sample sulog file: SU 02/25 09:29 + console root-sys SU 02/25 09:32 + pts/3 user1-root SU 03/02 08:03 + pts/5 user1-root SU 03/03 08:19 + pts/5 user1-root SU 03/09 14:24 - pts/5 guest3-root SU 03/09 14:24 - pts/5 guest3-root SU 03/14 08:31 + pts/4 user1-root FILES
/var/adm/sulog su log file /etc/default/su contains the default location of sulog SEE ALSO
su(1M) SunOS 5.10 6 Jun 1994 sulog(4)