Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to convert MD5 hash into shadow format? Post 302475444 by guitarscn on Sunday 28th of November 2010 09:16:58 PM
Old 11-28-2010
I do not know if my system uses MD5 for password hashes - the MD5 hash I am testing is just a hash generated by a PHP script I think - I just Googled 'MD5 encrypter' and used one of the links there to create an MD5 hash based on the string I provided; in this case, the string 'abc' (without the single quotes).

No salt value

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create md5 Hash variable?

I have a script that runs the grub-md5-crypt command based on whether the pass_value variable is a non-zero string. The md5 hash is being created in the /opt/hostconfigs/$HOST file, but I can't echo $md5_value. It is blank. Is there a way to create and echo a md5 hash variable? if then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Programming

md5 hash a string or char array in SCO

Can someone provide me with code to md5 hash a string or character array in the SCO environment. All help is appreciated thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcarter2333
5 Replies

3. Programming

MD5 hash calculation

hi i want to generate MD5 hash of string in unix (hp) i have the algorithm which takes file as argument and returns hash of file but when i tried to generate hash of "a" result was "60b725f10c9c85c70d97880dfe8191b3" hash but actually it should have been "0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661" now i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

MD5 hash filename

I am a newbie to shell programming. Can someone help me with the following ? Shell script that accomplishes the following - # Step 1 List all files in the directory # Step 2 Loop through each filename say a.htm and MD5 hash the filename to say b.htm # Step 3 copy a.htm to b.htm # Step 4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bebar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/shadow without hash

Hi, I am new to shell programming and trying to write a command that would show the etc/shadow file but without the hashes. So, something like this: root: <HASH PASSWORD FOUND BUT OBFUSCATED> daemon: NP bin: NP sys: NP If there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellomms
2 Replies

6. Solaris

hash password in shadow show 'x' ???

Hello, I want to know the reason behing the scene why some systems have hashed password in /etc/shadow file as "x" not the alienoid language like A1Dksxi3kaA.. (13 characters) As far as I understand, etc/password will show password as "x" and move all hashed password to etc/shadow.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
8 Replies

7. Linux

How to generate the hash in /etc/shadow

Hey guys, i've got some serious problems creating a hash for the /etc/shadow. I try to understand how linux creates this hash. Till now i understood that the $6$ shows me that my ubuntu 9.10 uses sha512 to create the hash. I also understood that the "salt"-thing makes the whole think much more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebi0815
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl giving unexpected md5 hash values

I am trying to speed up creating a line by line hash file from a huge file using Perl. Here is my current (working but too slow) Bash code: (while read line; do hash=$(echo -n $line | md5sum); echo ${hash:0:32}; done)And here is my Perl code: perl -MDigest::MD5 -le 'foreach $line ( <STDIN> )... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply md5 hash to a field in csv file

I have a .csv file and I want to md5 hash the second column for each row in the file. File is something like data1,foobar1,123,345 data2,foobar2,456,9393 data3,foobar3,1002,10109 Output would be like data1,6c81243028f8e455fa617dd5f0232ce1,123,345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjwags
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reverse the b64 format(encoded b64(b64(md5($pass)))) into md5 hash format?

I have about 1500 rows (encoded b64(b64(md5($pass))) algorythm) in a file. I would like reverse the b64 into md5 hash format. How could I do that from command line? So I need only the correct md5 hash formats. These row format: 4G5qc2WQzGES6QkWAUgl5w P9tKxonBOg3ymr8vOBLnDA... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freeroute
1 Replies
SessionX::Generate::MD5(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      SessionX::Generate::MD5(3pm)

NAME
Apache::Session::Generate::MD5 - Use MD5 to create random object IDs SYNOPSIS
use Apache::SessionX::Generate::MD5; $id = Apache::SessionX::Generate::MD5::generate($string); DESCRIPTION
This module fulfills the ID generation interface of Apache::SessionX. If you don't give the argument $string, the IDs are generated using a two-round MD5 of a random number, the time since the epoch, the process ID, and the address of an anonymous hash. The resultant ID number is highly entropic on Linux and other platforms that have good random number generators. You are encouraged to investigate the quality of your system's random number generator if you are using the generated ID numbers in a secure environment. If you give $string the ID is the MD5 hash of that string. This module can also examine session IDs to ensure that they are, indeed, session ID numbers and not evil attacks. The reader is encouraged to consider the effect of bogus session ID numbers in a system which uses these ID numbers to access disks and databases. This modules takes one argument in the usual Apache::Session style. The argument is IDLength, and the value, between 0 and 32, tells this module where to truncate the session ID. Without this argument, the session ID will be 32 hexadecimal characters long, equivalent to a 128-bit key. AUTHOR
This module was written by Jeffrey William Baker <jwbaker@acm.org> and modified by Gerald Richter <richter@dev.ecos.de>. SEE ALSO
Apache::Session perl v5.14.2 2005-11-10 SessionX::Generate::MD5(3pm)